Match Tactics, how to analyse before, during and after a match

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Playing against an LP bump kind of player is a lot about LEVERAGE. You setup a shot that is high percentage offense that they will not handle well. EXTREME topspin to their pips or inverted rubber is almost akin to Dracula and Garlic.

Even if your opponent is several levels better player than you, on serve, you can setup offense forever. You will need to figure out serve receive, but if you can, then you are in the money and in the running.

Reactions: IB66
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews

No spin tight to net long serve. LP can struggle to control this type of serve, a return can float long or be netted.

Bawhahhahahaha. Even the Korean Lady auntie brigade (who 80%+ have OX LP on BH) practice vs this ball for up to ONE FULL HOUR... PER DAY.

If this is ur bread and butter shot vs even the club average lipstick wearing auntie... then you will be buying the chicken dinner and unlimited beers.

Still, that serve can be a good serve... IF... and IF... you can show tham and ability to make very heavy underspin short and long... then when you slip that dead serve in, they give it to you high enough to go apeshyt on to finish the point directly.

The auntie crowd SO HATED Der_Echte when he waz in Korea. I would get so many points from serve and serve/attack that it put too much pressure on their serve that they fold like a paper napkin.

Even more pressure was applied as it got closer to the end of matches as they realized I put away 10x more chicken and beers than the average citizen... that practically required friends to team up to lessen the impact of the tab for food and hydration.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Der_Echte;348381Bawhahhahahaha. Even the Korean Lady auntie brigade (who 80%+ have OX LP on BH) practice vs this ball for up to ONE FULL HOUR... PER DAY.

If this is ur bread and butter shot vs even the club average lipstick wearing auntie... then you will be buying the chicken dinner and unlimited beers.

Still, that serve can be a good serve... IF... and IF... you can show tham and ability to make very heavy underspin short and long... then when you slip that dead serve in, they give it to you high enough to go apeshyt on to finish the point directly.

The auntie crowd SO HATED Der_Echte when he waz in Korea. I would get so many points from serve and serve/attack that it put too much pressure on their serve that they fold like a paper napkin.

Even more pressure was applied as it got closer to the end of matches as they realized I put away 10x more chicken and beers than the average citizen... that practically required friends to team up to lessen the impact of the tab for food and hydration.

Against LP I normally opt for mixing in no spin serves and trying to finish the rally quickly rarely using much topspin.

Recently played a higher LP player and somehow got into rallies where I was loading up FH topspins, the ball was coming back lower and lower, after 4/5 I was in trouble. What should I have done with my spin attack?

Regards

says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Bawhahhahahaha. Even the Korean Lady auntie brigade (who 80%+ have OX LP on BH) practice vs this ball for up to ONE FULL HOUR... PER DAY.

Der, you have way more experience than myself regards playing against LP!!!! As you say about 80% of the ladies play LP in Korea, for them it’s the norm!! the local leagues I play in, there must be about 5% (max) of players using LP!!! One thing for sure is they ain’t practicing for an hour a day v no spin serves🤣!!

What would the % of ‘Brut’ wearing uncles using LP be in Korea ??!!! Or is it more of a Auntie thing?
LP seem to be so much more the norm there, are there other countries where LP players are much more likely to be encountered??

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews

What would the % of ‘Brut’ wearing uncles using LP be in Korea ??!!! Or is it more of a Auntie thing?
LP seem to be so much more the norm there, are there other countries where LP players are much more likely to be encountered??

Somewhere around 10% and almost all of them the older crowd.

Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Summing up what this thread is about, tactics before, during and after a match, thoughts of myself and others that have contributed to the thread.

BEFORE,

This is mainly relevant if you know who your opponent is or maybe.

For those that play at a high or very high level, or regular participants in ranking tournaments and dedicated to improving, climbing the ranks, who have set some high goals for themselves such as playing for county, region, national level or international level. Then working on your match tactics before a tournament is, as far as I’m concerned pretty important!!

Know your own game style and how you can implement your tactics to enhance YOUR game.

Record your matches, build a library of information about yourself and those you play.
One question you need to be aware of is whether you are allowed to record matches, especially recording young players, check first!!!

Draw on the experience of others, coaches, team mates, players that have already encountered an opponent.

Try and Build a team around you, your coach plus one other to be at the tournament with you.
The ‘other’ can ‘scout’ out possible opponents, if the group is being played on 2 tables then you can split the tables between you.

Check the draw, see who is in your group. ( no brainier, everyone does this!!) look at the other groups, check to see which group winner or runner up you will play against if you qualify for the next round, keep an eye on this as the group stages progress.
Depending on how your group and the other group pans out you will have a reasonable idea of who you are likely to play. Or should I say one of your ‘team’ should!!

As the player, you should be concentrating on your current group and yourself.
Do you have a pre match routine? music you like to listen to? Settle yourself into match mode etc what makes you feel good? nerves can also be a good thing! Try not to let nerves worry you!!, it shows you care and are excited!!

If the answer to the earlier question about videoing is a NO, then your ‘scout’ watching opponents is a must, your ‘scout’ needs to have a reasonable idea about TT as well !! So they can give a good evaluation.

When not playing you have to umpire / score a match or two, rather than seeing sitting in the umpires chair as a necessary nuisance, use this to watch both players, concentrate on what they are doing, how the match was won or lost.

Discuss and formulate some tactics, try and evaluate opponents weaknesses and how you can capitalise on these.

For us mere mortals who play at a lower level !! Then it’s unlikely we are going to go to those lengths!!
However you can still evaluate your opponents before a match, draw on your own previous experience and that’s of your team mates.

DURING,

Ask your team mates what they see happening, get their advice.
At a higher level, your coach can advise between ends, if you have ‘timeouts’ available your coach should use these when he feels appropriate.
Discuss and evaluate what YOU think is good and bad, see if your team mate / coach agrees!!

AFTER

Evaluate your performance with your coach and team mates.
Highlight areas for improvement, formulate some possible tactics to implement when you next encounter a certain player, maybe keep a notebook / match diary to reference back to.
Practice how you are going to implement your new tactics.
Practice how you can enhance your chosen style further, and how you can try and impose your style and tactics during a match.
Highlight your weaknesses and formulate how to improve.

GENERAL TACTICS

Attack opponents ‘middle’ or ‘ crossover’
Vary spin, speed, placement, rhythm. Try and disrupt opponents rhythm.
Variation of serves can be key, keep opponent guessing or having to evaluate and make a decision, rather than them ‘knowing’ where and how !! Short, 1/2 long, long, fast, slow, heavy spin, medium spin, light spin, no spin. This is also relevant during play!!
Switch play
Choose the ‘Right Ball’ be patient, don’t rush unnecessarily.
Use 1st set to evaluate your opponent, try and work out their weaknesses early.
When in doubt play down the centre of the table, this helps reduce the opponents angles available to them.
Control your service points ( if you can!!!) sometimes less is more!!
Control placement of your strokes, try and give your opponent quality balls to deal with. Try and negate opponents strengths.
Move opponent around, especially if their movement is poor.
Take in as much ‘background’ information as you can. Do they signal direction of shots? Etc
Concentrate!!! You may think you are!!! But are you really?? See above!!
Relax, is this tactics? Not really but learn to recognise if you are ‘tensing’ up, if you tense up to much it’s unlikely you can play quality strokes and therefore implement your tactics.
Don’t get flustered, try and remain ‘level headed’
’Cho’ if that’s your thing!! fist pump!! Show positive attitude. These can be ‘mental’ tactics to use.

there are probably more things to add, please feel free to do so.

Cheers!!

Reactions: Richie
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
There are always in match and even in point adjustments to realize and it is a matter of tactical intelligence.

There are the things IB66 and many others advocate examining about match performance for development/improvement and that is strategic improvement.

There are diferent mindsets on which is more important but many would agree both are important and distince and seperate and highly important.

You do not see players grow one, two, three, four levels ina few years by accident.

These kind of topics are IMO ... ALWAYS... way under-represented and I am happy to se over 25 replies to the topic.

You RARELY see Der_Echte praise a thread genre and often see Der_Echte being critical of the fanboy equipment mania insanity threads.

Reactions: IB66 and Richie