My edge tape won’t stick properly. Should I buy a new one?

This user has no status.

Yeah I meant table tennis glue. But PVA based glue might also work.

Dont have that here. Here’s what Eri Keeper is made out of: “Eri Keeper is an adhesive developed from polyvinyl acetate. Eri Keeper is offered, for example, in construction and crafts.”
So it’s like “normal” glue. I don’t know if it will work tho.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
5M of edge tape is like 3-5 Euros... that is enough to do at LEAST 12-15 bats...

ARE Table Tennis Players such misers?

Rubbers cost 30-40 Euros at bargain prices and players have no problem replacing those 1-10 times a year...

What kind of back breaking expense is 5 Euros to be able to handle this problem double digit times???

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
5M of edge tape is like 3-5 Euros... that is enough to do at LEAST 12-15 bats...

ARE Table Tennis Players such misers?

Rubbers cost 30-40 Euros at bargain prices and players have no problem replacing those 1-10 times a year...

What kind of back breaking expense is 5 Euros to be able to handle this problem double digit times???

I think that the issue is rather shipping. If you buy pair of 40€ rubbers it is likely it will ship for free. But ordering only an edge tape, then paying 10€ for shipping... Also it might be an issue of I want to fix it with what I have on hand.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
I’d just forget about it and buy a 5M roll along with the new pair of rubbers next time (and also a bottle of glue). Don’t use normal glue on table tennis stuff as things are supposed to be detachable without making any damage to the blade.

A clean blade is beautiful but a blade with some scars is beautiful in another way, like a weathered man…

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
I’d just forget about it and buy a 5M roll along with the new pair of rubbers next time (and also a bottle of glue). Don’t use normal glue on table tennis stuff as things are supposed to be detachable without making any damage to the blade.

A clean blade is beautiful but a blade with some scars is beautiful in another way, like a weathered man…

I have not used normal glue. Infact I didnt even glue the rubbers. Its was made in the store.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Duct tape, also known as gaffers tape makes great edge tape. You can also use a small piece of it simply to keep the ends down of the original.
Edge tape has no real function other than to show off the manufacturers name.
It is supposed to protect the edges of the rubbers and the blade ---------------------------but it does not 😁

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Wait, why do people even use edge tape? Can someone school me?

I do it for looks and presentation. Often, it is branded tape, serves the purpose better.

Still, a single color, or a color pattern side tape can look well too. I would wager sum cheese-its that Adam Bobrow would like many colors on his side tape if he could get it... or side tape with pictures of his shorts every few cm... heck, many players might buy that ege tape - an Adam Bobrow themed edge tape with his defining personal touches.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: lodro
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Ah, Nostalgia for the good old days when I cared how my blades and edge tape looked.
-
Does edge tape do anything? Depends. You can decide for yourself. But if you really slam the edge into the table or a wall, nothing will protect your edge. If you push hard, sometimes you bang your blade into the table. I prefer to see the damage.
-
I was trying to post a photo but the site is acting funny. So, no photo of the banged up edge of my blade. Battle scars are good. And most of the time, they don't affect the way the blade plays. But when a blade is toast, you use the next blade.
-
Still, cutting off the part of the tape that is coming up would work. Using an old fashioned rubber cement from a hardware store or an art supply store would work. So would using New Fangled TT Water Based glue. Chose your method or just remove the edge tape. The battle scars look better when you can see them. :)

Last edited: