My edge tape won’t stick properly. Should I buy a new one?

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020

I do it for looks and presentation. Often, it is branded tape, serves the purpose better.

Still, a single color, or a color pattern side tape can look well too. I would wager sum cheese-its that Adam Bobrow would like many colors on his side tape if he could get it... or side tape with pictures of his shorts every few cm... heck, many players might buy that ege tape - an Adam Bobrow themed edge tape with his defining personal touches.

...................and then of course some people would love to fit a beautiful edge tape with all rainbow colors 😆

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Ah, Nostalgia for the good old days when I cared how my blades and edge tape looked.
-
Does edge tape do anything? Depends. You can decide for yourself. But if you really slam the edge into the table or a wall, nothing will protect your edge. If you push hard, sometimes you bang your blade into the table. I prefer to see the damage.
-
I was trying to post a photo but the site is acting funny. So, no photo of the banged up edge of my blade. Battle scars are good. And most of the time, they don't affect the way the blade plays. But when a blade is toast, you use the next blade.
-
Still, cutting off the part of the tape that is coming up would work. Using an old fashioned rubber cement from a hardware store or an art supply store would work. So would using New Fangled TT Water Based glue. Chose your method or just remove the edge tape. The battle scars look better when you can see them. :)
Here. I will give it another try. This is the edge tape I use:

IMG_0231.jpg

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Here. I will give it another try. This is the edge tape I use:

IMG_0231.jpg

And eventually, no matter what I do, the edge of this next blade will end up looking like the edge of the previous blade at some point.
-
I like the look of a beat up blade. With the edge tape, it is hard to see the dings. If you see them, you can do something if the blade actually needs some teching. But most of the time, even when the edge looks like it has been chewed on, it does not affect the way the blade plays.

IMG_0230.jpg

Last edited:
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
And eventually, no matter what I do, the edge of this next blade will end up looking like the edge of the previous blade at some point.
-
I like the look of a beat up blade. With the edge tape, it is hard to see the dings. If you see them, you can do something if the blade actually needs some teching. But most of the time, even when the edge looks like it has been chewed on, it does not affect the way the blade plays.

IMG_0230.jpg

That is how i like it, a through professional approach.
Having said that, are you sure i can not interest you in a few meters of the Rainbow colored version ? 😁

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
When i say some chips do make a blade beautiful in a weathered way, I didn’t mean this. I appreciate that u liked my post though 😂😂🤣

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
BTW: someone said Duct Tape and Gaffer's Tape are the same. They are not.
-
Here is the first thing that comes up when you search "difference between duct tape and gaffer's tape":
-
"Starting out with composition, Gaffer's Tape is made of vinyl coated cloth, and duct tape is made from polyethylene coated cloth. One of the most notably visible differences between the two tapes is that duct tape is highly reflective and Gaffer's tape has a matte finish."
-
Does not matter much but....getting a roll of half inch thick gaffer's tape of any color will be edge tape to last for a few thousand blades. They have it in pretty much any color you can think of. You could even put your own branding on it. :)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: lodro
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
When i say some chips do make a blade beautiful in a weathered way, I didn’t mean this. I appreciate that u liked my post though 😂😂🤣
Are you trying to say my Virtuoso + is not beautiful? hahahahaha. It plays amazingly. And I think it looks awesome. For how hard that blade has been slammed, I am amazed that it is not a lot more beat up. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Tango K