My technique on fh is bad, am I wasting money on Tenergy?

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Hi my fh technique is very bad, as is my footwork.
I do not move my wrist on my fh loop or loop drive only forearm.
Therefore I will never have massive topspin, so am I wasting my time using tenergy 05fx.

Should i just use MX-P or some other random esn?

And concentrate on driving and hitting which I am better at?

This user has no status.
Maybe you should go back to basics and build a rock-solid foundation. Because fast rubbers are hard to control and have a lot of potential to make errors you do not want while you are building your foundation, get a soft and thin rubber that has a lot of dwell-time, feel, and control. As a result, that will aid you as you learn to generate more top-spin. The answer to your problem is not to adapt your equipment to compensate for your deficiencies in technique. Rather, it is to fix your technique so you are able fully utilize all the features on hard and fast rubber. To get really good, do not just concentrate on driving and hitting. Build up a solid forehand by repeating 1000 forehand topspin strokes on a robot each day as warmup. You don't get better without repetition. As for your rubber, I would reccomend Butterfly Sriver 1.5mm on forehand.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Nah, I say if you want to get better take the risk (I mean there is not really a risk with Sriver), but if you feel that you are too old to rebuild from the beginning or not really serious, it's fine if you just focus on driving.

We've seen this happen before. MOG is old time good forum fella.

Dear Bro, keep you rubber find coach lin videos on youtube and practice, practice and after that a little bit more of practice.

Reactions: MOG
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2021
Thank you.
People like you make equipment more affordable for people who can make full use of top of the line gear for a lower price.
There are so many of you

• Haha
Reactions: Tango K
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Maybe you should go back to basics and build a rock-solid foundation. Because fast rubbers are hard to control and have a lot of potential to make errors you do not want while you are building your foundation, get a soft and thin rubber that has a lot of dwell-time, feel, and control. As a result, that will aid you as you learn to generate more top-spin. The answer to your problem is not to adapt your equipment to compensate for your deficiencies in technique. Rather, it is to fix your technique so you are able fully utilize all the features on hard and fast rubber. To get really good, do not just concentrate on driving and hitting. Build up a solid forehand by repeating 1000 forehand topspin strokes on a robot each day as warmup. You don't get better without repetition. As for your rubber, I would reccomend Butterfly Sriver 1.5mm on forehand.
Good information for someone. But wrong context here. First, MOG is better than the impression you got from his post. Second, when you are playing with the technique you have for several decades, switching technique is a different kind of mathematical equation than if you are only playing for under a decade. :)

MOG you use your FH well with T05fx.

Reactions: MOG
Softer rubbers with bad spin technique may perform worse than harder rubbers.
Thinner rubbers provide shorter, not longer dwell time. Thicker rubbers provide longer dwell and more spin.
Longer dwell time can provide more control with good spin technique.

I think that MOG should feel very well with T08fx on hits, drives and blocks, spin techniques may be developed, but this rubber is not exactly for "massive spin".

Have you tried T80?

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Yes, you are wasting your money on tenergy. But wasting money is not always a bad thing. Once you have how much you need, you have to spend/waste the rest on something.

If you really want to learn to have a spinny forehand loop you can get better technique. Never too old or unfit or whatever. It would take a lot of training. If you aren't going to do the training, pay a coach, etc., then yeah, waste your tenergy money on something else.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
I wonder if I am more of a hitter than a topspinner? Well I am really.
Maybe I should get something more like a 2.0mm MX-P and still work on topspin, but use a rubber that might be perfect for my technique?
Driving and smashing and a little less reactive to incoming spin
A little less bouncy

I do like short rallies and high risk in shots generally, vary rarely do i play over 5 shots in a rally.

Hi MOG,

Have you tried your SP on FH? Just to see how it and you play?

With his deep and firm grip he may feel SP better on the BH, using wrist and arm action.

On the FH he will be able only to hit-snap-block over and near the table.

With that grip the FH mid distance chopping with SP would even worse than the top spin loop with inverted.

Last edited:
says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews

With his deep and firm grip he may feel SP better on the BH, using wrist and arm action.

On the FH he will be able only to hit-snap-block over and near the table.

With that grip the FH mid distance chopping with SP would even worse than the top spin loop with inverted.

The question was more biased towards whether the SP would be better for the flatter hitting side of things, although I found T05 to be great for drives, smashing and flatter hits when I tested it.

I agree that the deep and firm grip isn’t one that assists with producing spin, relaxing the grip more would be beneficial and continuing to work on FH topspin technique.

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Think that grip is engrained. Although I do not do it as much on BH.
Pips on fh sounds disgusting. Urgghhh!

I tried a Rosewood VII on weekend, its flexier than Fextra.
It improved my fh spin generation and ease of fh spin, and confidence to spin.
However it made my pip blocking and hitting much less consistent, this may be adjustable but I am not sure.

Pip blocking on fextra in insanely good.

I have a Szocs 1 on way maybe if that is somewhere between it might help.

Trouble is with pips you want to be close, with power loops on fh on fextra you kind of need to be mid distance

TT is all about balance!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Simon,

you've been around the block 30 times, and seem to keep coming back to the Fextra. If backhand is fine and this is your last ditch effort, try out Calibra LT or T64, maybe Joola Xplode - all those were above average on flatter strokes when I did play with inverted.

All this talk about Fextra makes me want to try it out again. How much does your specimen weigh? Is it faster than Clipper/SK7/Force Black?