Andro Hexer Short Pimple + rubber question

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Hello good people,

I am thinking of trying a sheet of Andro Hexer Short Pimple + rubber as from all the reviews I`ve read it seems to be very suited to blocking fast and heavy top spin shots. The no.1 player in our small league excels at this kind of shot which he can do on either wing, though predominantly on his forehand. He is a conventional right hander, I on the other hand am a "leftie" and my stronger side is actually my backhand. Currently I can block about 60% of his topspins with my current Hexer inverted rubber, however I was wondering if anyone has experience of the Hexer SP+ rubber, in particularly it`s blocking ability.

TIA,

Monte

says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Hi Monte,

When you’re not blocking, what other shots do you play? What I’m getting at is changing from inverted to SP will effect some of the rest of your game. If you like to play with spin, then SP won’t give as much spin.
Any footage of you playing? Then the forum will have an idea of your level and playing style etc

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Hello IB66,

Thank you for your kind reply, I suppose I am classed as an all round player, I have always used a mid speed spinney rubber on my BH for serving, and I often use backspin to play a tight game, then I rely on my opponent to risk opening up with top spin which I then look to counter hit. I am a "leftie" so most players being right-handed will play directly onto my BH, which is my strongest side. I play with Andro Hexer 1.5mm on my BH and Andro Rasanter 37 1.5mm on my FH. I play topspin on my FH once the ball is in play, so I wouldn`t use pimples on that side.
I am a local league player, in my mid 30s at my peak I managed a 92% win rate playing on the 1st Division of the Preston league, though there was a Premier Division above that. Nowadays as I`m nearly 70 I`m a fair way off that but my main opponent I play against in the Fort William league is good enough to represent Scotland in the veterans tournaments, and though I generally struggle to take a set off him he doesn`t always win 3-0, so I`m still managing to play at a reasonable standard.
I know what you mean about control, and I expect I am probably looking for a rubber with such a degree of control that doesn`t really exist!
I look forward to your considered thoughts!

Kind regards,

Monte

Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Hello IB66,

Thank you for your kind reply, I suppose I am classed as an all round player, I have always used a mid speed spinney rubber on my BH for serving, and I often use backspin to play a tight game, then I rely on my opponent to risk opening up with top spin which I then look to counter hit. I am a "leftie" so most players being right-handed will play directly onto my BH, which is my strongest side. I play with Andro Hexer 1.5mm on my BH and Andro Rasanter 37 1.5mm on my FH. I play topspin on my FH once the ball is in play, so I wouldn`t use pimples on that side.
I am a local league player, in my mid 30s at my peak I managed a 92% win rate playing on the 1st Division of the Preston league, though there was a Premier Division above that. Nowadays as I`m nearly 70 I`m a fair way off that but my main opponent I play against in the Fort William league is good enough to represent Scotland in the veterans tournaments, and though I generally struggle to take a set off him he doesn`t always win 3-0, so I`m still managing to play at a reasonable standard.
I know what you mean about control, and I expect I am probably looking for a rubber with such a degree of control that doesn`t really exist!
I look forward to your considered thoughts!

Kind regards,

Monte
Hi Monte,

The Preston League Eh!!
I’ve watched a good number of their video’s on YouTube!! Not only the tournament matches but the reviews and semi scientific vids as well !!! At least I think these are from the same league you played in??

Changing to SP on BH should allow you to hit through the topspin and block easier, but there will be a difference in shot execution to some extent, I’m definitely no expert on SP never used it!! But I’m pretty sure that you can still play a ‘normal’ BH topspin stroke etc but to get the best out of blocking and hitting through the ball some adjustments will be needed.
If you like to vary spin when BH serving, then the amount of variation available will be reduced slightly as SP just aren’t as spinny.

I did have a dabble with Donic Slice 40, an inverted defensive rubber, 1.5mm sponge, On BH.
This was great for blocking and chopping, still very grippy so you can spin well. I could attack with it as well, slow in general terms, but when close to the table blocks were easier for me to control and fast enough to cause problems. I just didn’t feel the speed was enough when playing BH top spin / loops slightly away from the table.
I’ve tried a couple of the Hexer rubbers, 1.9/2.0mm sponges, pretty good rubbers!! I would therefore think that the 1.5 version would be pretty good for blocking. Not sure if the sponge will ‘bottom out’ easily?? Depends how hard the sponge is.

You didn’t mention what blade you use, there seems to be a trend of thought on the Forum that all wood 7 ply blades are very well suited to SP rubbers.

Check or search for SP threads and have a read through those you can find. There’s been some great threads started by MOG and Lula is very knowledgeable on SP’s

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Thanks again IB66,

I will therefore have a look through the SP threads as you suggest and see what turns up!

Cheers,

Monte

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
For blocking, it should be fine. But Hexer pips+ is probably my least favorite short pimple. Very soft, bendy, and has an almost slippery feel. More medium pip than short. Try 563 if you want something similar and cheaper.

The older Blowfish+ is excellent. Even faster, better grip, crisper feel.