I am trying MX-P for the first time!

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Surprisingly for an EJ I have never tried MX-P
that will change tomorrow, I have a sheet of MX-P and a sheet of MX-P50

I actually think it might suit my style more than tenergy 05fx, but am worried if I will have enough spin.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I will tell anyone up from the level of spin depends on the impact... that goes for any rubber. SOME are easier to generate 70-80% of spin potential with a weak stroke. MX-P is not one of those rubbers.

What I believe would make MOG's game easier using MX-P is that on the lower to medium impacts, MX-P is decently NON spin reactive and essentially linear. You KNOW what is gunna happen on thos impacts. That counts for a lot in amateur players' games, hardly ever a consideration.

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
I will tell anyone up from the level of spin depends on the impact... that goes for any rubber. SOME are easier to generate 70-80% of spin potential with a weak stroke. MX-P is not one of those rubbers.

What I believe would make MOG's game easier using MX-P is that on the lower to medium impacts, MX-P is decently NON spin reactive and essentially linear. You KNOW what is gunna happen on thos impacts. That counts for a lot in amateur players' games, hardly ever a consideration.

I think this could be key for my game, I am not a big spinner.
A good player friend told me once I am a blocker/hitter who can topspin a bit.

I want to play closer to table for pips, If i lose a bit of topspin but gain a bit in block hit ease of use, for now that might be a way forward. And gain a bit of linear reaction to incoming spin.

I am not Timo Boll after all!

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
One can block well with just about anything if one gets closer to teh bounce, but MX-P gives one a little easier control over the ball away from bounce... but don't drink the kool-aid... one would still need a lot of touch.

Having said that, I still think you can block well and do whatever offense you are trying with MX-P.

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
I have tried the MX-P twice now on Fextra. I think it arcs lower than 05fx on topspin's for the same stroke, however when I played a weaker opponent he struggled more to return and block my topspin's from MX-P than 05fx, same evening, same blade, same bh rubber, so reasonably scientific.

After a short tight serve and a push return I was getting a lot of topspin, or maybe it as a combination of spin and speed.

Smashes seem much easier, blocks seem easier
serves seem easier to spin and keep short or just spin more

push returns are definitely more comfortable, assume the harder sponge helps

it is definitely faster on drives

the only negative i think was it seemed a lower arc which felt less secure, i had less confidence

Also trained with an improving junior who sometimes causes me trouble, i was concerned I would not get enough spin, as he copes with speed but not as well with lots of spin, i still seemed to give him enough spin to cause him problems at times.

Saturday trained with a good friend who uses LP very well on bh close to table (normally), we have played each other for 25 years so this is always a good test.
I returned his serve much much better than I normally do with 05fx, he has spinny disguised Hurricane 3 serves

My driving caused him much more trouble than normal

but surprisingly the touch game felt much more secure.

Now what I do not know is whether this was new equipment syndrome, where I was actually just better focused and concentrating more, I do not think so though.

I think at my level MX-P might just be easier to use out of the box.

It was definitely less reactive to spin, and also less reactive to float, 2 things which 05fx are both very reactive too

whilst with perfect technique it might be less spinny, i think it might be easier to get the spin out of it for a mortal

it definitely felt harder and I will have to adjust to this.

However fextra is a pretty solid uncompromising blade.

it might allow me to go back to force pro blue and add the speed that blade lacks.

I am hoping though when my Scozs 1 arrives it will pair perfectly with this and offer a touch more control than fextra

says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Hi MOG,

Looking good so far for the MXP!!!
It will feel harder than the T05fx, sponge is rated 47.5 for MXP & 45 for T05fx, standard T05 is 49 degrees.
When / if you try the MXP50 you’ll get more sponge hardness than T05.
As I’ve said before, I struggle with Sponges around the 50+ degree hardness with grippy top sheets, R53 even with its softer thinner top sheet was too difficult for me to control, R48 was fine but 5 degrees less hardness.
My gut feeling is that std MXP will be better than the 50 degree version for you, especially as the top sheet is the same ( well I thought the top sheets are the same), if the MXP50 had a thinner softer top sheet (as R48) then it would be easier control wise.