Does tacky rubber slow down improvement?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 3 reviews
Hi! I opened this thread, because I got too many dislikes about tacky rubbers from almost every coaches that I had had private lessons.

A pro player in Turkey told me that tacky rubbers were good when speed glue was allowed. Now, new rubbers generate equal amount of spin, plus they are more dynamic. You can play better with dynamic rubbers...

Another good coach from Turkey who trains also super league players claimed that Chinese were thrash..

I got private lessons from 3 or 4 different coaches in Germany (one of them was former Iran national player) . They claimed every time that Chinese rubbers are useless. They were like irritated by it. They mention that there is no player until 1st Bundesliga who uses tacky rubber. I don't think that much possible.

Another one claimed that, Chinese rubber doesn't play same in Germany as it plays in China, because of humidity and temperature...

I now have 1500+TTR. I am improving anyway. I might gain extra 50TTR by using T05 on FH. It allows me to do a topspin even almost from ground. But, when I got tired I tend to stop moving. That's the reason for me to use tacky rubber. It makes me play actively till the end of the session. I feel I get more out of a training.

Of course I am doing lots of mistakes on training. My consistency is not that good (maybe coaches complain is because of this). I am putting more balls onto table when I use T05, but they are less effective. Good against pimple blockers or short pips but bad against an attacker who has equal amount of rating. The game is getting faster and uncontrollable.

I don't want my improvement to stop because of my equipment.

So long story short, does Chinese tacky rubber slows down improvement?

Depends, if you are trained to use tacky rubbers at day 1 no it does not hamper your development. Also, modern ESN rubbers that are tacky require less effort than using traditional Chinese rubbers due to more bouncy sponges and of course better factory tuner.

Reactions: Baal
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
The swing is slightly different. And the cultures outside china/korea disregard the rubbers. So coaches tend to discourage them. I train with them and follow advices from european-style coaches in my club and they work just fine. I tend to let the swing go a little more freely though. I’m now the only player using h3 in my club and ppl already stop complaining abt my rubbers a few months back lol

Reactions: Marc
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Tacky rubbers will do you no good unless you are willing to take advantage of the tackiness of the rubber. To do that you must brush the ball. This is usually a skill that is developed so that one can brush the ball. It is also for player that play close to the table where brushing the ball off the bounce is desired.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I know a player who is 2000+ TTR who uses H3 on FH in the OPPOSITE way intended... he is a CONTROL player who likes to nuetralize incoming speed and or topspin by a slower, less powerrful stroke with loose grip getting around a little on side of ball to give back a soft corkscrew mini loop that can be difficult to read.

He uses the H3 tacky rubber as it is great for this impact and makes it easy to guide the ball and overwrite the spin.

I say this to show there are many angles to a situation... maybe player uses this rubber, goofs off, and discovers some ways to impact.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
You don’t have to brush the ball all the time. In fact it’s quite the opposite when you power up. You have to go throw it quite aggressively. Yes. It neutralises a lot of incoming speed. (combining these together makes it easier to adding both spin and speed without loosing control. The trade off is a slightly bigger swing for the same amount of power.) people say it needs a bigger swing but that’s not true. If you have decent technique you can swing it just like european rubbers. It’s just a little less powerful and more control/spinny.

the basic is simple. You shouldn’t think too much that it’s something misterious. Just get used to a variety of shots and you’ll know how it behaves.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
Even top europeans like Boll and Ovcharov now play with tacky rubbers btw. Hybrids. And certainly so do top Koreans. Perception takes time to change.

Reactions: burhanayan
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
Tacky rubber by itself won't really do anything with your improvement. But they might be more useful for learning technique than very soft bouncy rubbers.

Tacky rubbers often have harder sponges, therefore you need fast racket speed to be able to dig into the hard sponge. To reach high racket speeds consistently you need efficient technique.
Harder rubbers are in my opinion less bouncy and more linear, giving you an advantage in the serve receive game while also allowing you to hit as hard as your technique allows you to.

Hard tacky chinese rubbers are also meant to be boosted, there are no top players that I'm aware of that don't boost those rubbers.

How do your coaches justify that the best and most dominant players in the world use tacky rubbers? They clearly improved with them and now we are seeing european players moving over to harder and tackier/grippier rubbers as well. What would their response be to that?

Reactions: Tango K
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 3 reviews
Tacky rubber by itself won't really do anything with your improvement. But they might be more useful for learning technique than very soft bouncy rubbers.

Tacky rubbers often have harder sponges, therefore you need fast racket speed to be able to dig into the hard sponge. To reach high racket speeds consistently you need efficient technique.
Harder rubbers are in my opinion less bouncy and more linear, giving you an advantage in the serve receive game while also allowing you to hit as hard as your technique allows you to.

Hard tacky chinese rubbers are also meant to be boosted, there are no top players that I'm aware of that don't boost those rubbers.

How do your coaches justify that the best and most dominant players in the world use tacky rubbers? They clearly improved with them and now we are seeing european players moving over to harder and tackier/grippier rubbers as well. What would their response be to that?
They think Top 20 are super heros and should not be considered as a reference. They mention maximum Regional League is possible which are around 2100 TTR. So they suggest the equipment that those guys use.

ELS-NX9 cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 3 reviews
I know a player who is 2000+ TTR who uses H3 on FH in the OPPOSITE way intended... he is a CONTROL player who likes to nuetralize incoming speed and or topspin by a slower, less powerrful stroke with loose grip getting around a little on side of ball to give back a soft corkscrew mini loop that can be difficult to read.

He uses the H3 tacky rubber as it is great for this impact and makes it easy to guide the ball and overwrite the spin.

I say this to show there are many angles to a situation... maybe player uses this rubber, goofs off, and discovers some ways to impact.
I have heard choppers with H3 but not any tricky shot player. That neutralizing stuff should be illegal :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 3 reviews
Tacky rubbers will do you no good unless you are willing to take advantage of the tackiness of the rubber. To do that you must brush the ball. This is usually a skill that is developed so that one can brush the ball. It is also for player that play close to the table where brushing the ball off the bounce is desired.
I am a two wing looper. It works against backspin or topspin perfectly with brushing technique. I sometimes hit more and increase pace and enjoy hearing cracking sound :) but those no spin balls are pain in the... I often shoot them out.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I now have 1500+TTR. I am improving anyway.
Is that the Germain TTR-1500? Or are you playing in a different country with its own rating system that gets called TTR as well? I see your flag says Turkey. Is that where you are playing. Or are you playing somewhere else?

If that TTR rating has any resemblance to the Germain TTR system, at 1500 you should be able to choose whatever blade and rubbers you want and be fine. Just keep training.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 3 reviews
The swing is slightly different. And the cultures outside china/korea disregard the rubbers. So coaches tend to discourage them.

The more they claim that using tacky rubber is no good for "playing", I tend to do the opposite and try to prove that they are wrong :)

I’m now the only player using h3 in my club and ppl already stop complaining abt my rubbers a few months back lol

I am experiencing the same things :)

Reactions: Tango K
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 3 reviews
Is that the Germain TTR-1500? Or are you playing in a different country with its own rating system that gets called TTR as well? I see your flag says Turkey. Is that where you are playing. Or are you playing somewhere else?
Yes in Germany, Bayern. Turkey is the country where I come from. Munich is the city where I live now.

If that TTR rating has any resemblance to the Germain TTR system, at 1500 you should be able to choose whatever blade and rubbers you want and be fine. Just keep training.

Thank you. I want to stick with what I use now as long as I have enough footwork skill.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yes in Germany, Bayern. Turkey is the country where I come from. Munich is the city where I live now.

Thank you. I want to stick with what I use now as long as I have enough footwork skill.

Yeah, at your level, if H3 works for you, stick with what works. Ideas on what you are asking about....if you have a pretty basic level, fairly beginner player who has been using softer spring sponge type rubber and he got in his head that he wanted to switch to H3 because of stuff he read from higher level players on the internet, then, that switch would cause that player a lot of pain before he got used to the H3. But you are at a decent playing level and you are already using H3.

I am not sure why people are telling you what they are. But use what you want. When Ma Long was the level you are, he was using H3. :) Somehow, he got to where he is. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 3 reviews
burhanayan would IMO speak IMO... a MINIMUM of three languages if he is where he is and functioning (quite well) on the forum in English... maybe he knows 7 or more. Maybe he knows how to infiltrate China itself and get us a pile of National H3 for the bait to the trap door...
National H3 is a myth. I don't believe in National H3 exists :)

I only speak(!) 3 languages. I guess I can't help you with that.