TTD Member 0 1
    G
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 1 0

User Info Menu

Jul 2021
    Philippines
    Read 0 Reviews

What age should I teach my child to play sports?

What age should the child be able to play table tennis?

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 115 286
    L
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 286 115

User Info Menu

5 or 6 yrs, sometimes sooner, but remember it has to be fun. I’ve seen videos on this site which I will classify as child abuse. Most of the time it has an adverse effect. The fun part is really really important.

Cheers
    L-zr

The Following 3 Users Like Lazer's Post:

Baal, Dr Evil and 1 other

says Ba'al has spoken

Master TTD Member 5,914 3,549
    B
    says Ba'al has spoken

Master TTD Member 3,549 5,914

User Info Menu

Nov 2010
    Read 8 Reviews
    I've seen kids as young as 6 who had coordination sufficient to begin to learn without getting frustrated. Just remember, at that age they don't have much attention span. And if they start a bit later they will quickly catch up.And if they hate it, don't push it. Maybe try again a couple of years later.

This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 212 198
    D
    This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 198 212

User Info Menu

Dec 2018
    United States
    Read 1 Reviews
    Lazer's right, about 5 or 6 for most kids, as soon as they can have fun. For best results in any sport, as early as possible. A.J. Liebling on boxing:

It is true there exist certain generalized conditions today, like full employment and a late school-leaving age, that militate against the development of first-rate professional boxers. (They militate also against the development of first-rate acrobats, fiddlers, and chefs de cuisine.) “Drummers and boxers, to acquire excellence, must begin young,” the great Egan wrote in 1820. “There is a peculiar nimbleness of the wrist and exercise of the shoulder required, that is only obtained from growth and practice.” Protracted exposure to education conflicts with this acquisition, but if a boy has a true vocation he can do much in his spare time. Tony Canzoneri, a very fine featherweight and lightweight of the thirties, told me once, for example, that he never had on a boxing glove until he was eight years old. “But of course I had done some street fighting,” he said to explain how he had overcome his late start.

The Following 2 Users Like Dr Evil's Post:

Baal and Lazer