Chinese national team using custom blades?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Hello, I've heard so many people on forums etc contemplate that the Chinese national team uses custom blades, not the market versions. If this is the case, what is the difference between the market version and the custom version? (ie. Speed, control etc) And, what causes these changes, like material, weight? I specifically want to know about the custom viscarias used by the Chinese team, and the golden viscaria too.

Sorry if this topic was already discussed, as I'm new to forums.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
They are magical. Made from trees grown in the forbidden palace and glued inside a vacuum. You have to try one to know. My guess is they just pick one with a weight they like.

Reactions: StehTischtennis
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Hello, I've heard so many people on forums etc contemplate that the Chinese national team uses custom blades, not the market versions. If this is the case, what is the difference between the market version and the custom version? (ie. Speed, control etc) And, what causes these changes, like material, weight? I specifically want to know about the custom viscarias used by the Chinese team, and the golden viscaria too.

Sorry if this topic was already discussed, as I'm new to forums.

Nobody knows unless you are in the CNT. They said the special blades are of much higher quality. But the athletes don't care. They get it for free.

Reactions: 729B2
says Aging is a killer
Some players are very finicky about about blade weight and balance coupled with general handle shape/fitment. Within reason, for the very top pros, the blade maker will build blades made to their specifications. Otherwise, players can choose from a batch of blades and some will even visit the factory and talk to the blade-maker about what they want. There are several blade makers on this forum. SDC, AfroBro etc. can build exactly what you want. Contact them for your own custom made blade.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Read 1 reviews
From what I heard from someone who is friends with a CNT player is that the main difference is that their blade is fine tuned for them and also at a better quality compared to commercial. Although I doubt there's a huge difference in quality from a commercial. For example Ma Long's W968, is fine tuned for him, while the commercial is more for the general public. Xu Xin's blades are known to be oversized since he has large hands, FZD's Viscaria Infinity is another form of a custom blade... I assume these are the differences. For us lower tier players, commercial is more than enough.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2020
They can customize sweet spot size/area
weight/balance
Some players may want specific grains of wood on a specific side - they will build the ply base on such requirements
They will make easily 100 blades to such requirements and have the player choose

The detail to the ply is what is mostly different.
then the detail to the blade contruction
the other things like weight or feel is also customizable

I know a player who received over 100 blades to choose his top 5 to keep

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Some players are very finicky about about blade weight and balance coupled with general handle shape/fitment. Within reason, for the very top pros, the blade maker will build blades made to their specifications. Otherwise, players can choose from a batch of blades and some will even visit the factory and talk to the blade-maker about what they want. There are several blade makers on this forum. SDC, AfroBro etc. can build exactly what you want. Contact them for your own custom made blade.
As far as I am concerned, this answer is complete and comprehensive. It ticks off all the boxes. Good post. Thanks Tinykin.

The idea Tony is emphasizing, that they can test multiple blades and choose the ones they like is also probably part of the scenario.

But, probably, they can say to a company that is sponsoring them the exact dimensions and shape they want from the handle, the blade face, the shape of the blade face, the thickness, these may be some of the things that a sponsored player may be able to request from a TT company.

The nice thing to know, blade makers on TTDaily like Nate and Hipnotic could work with you and make a hand crafted blade to any specifications you wanted.

There is another thread that is currently active where Der_Echte explains how he got several custom blade makers to make blades for him with a specific size and shape handle. A good blade maker can really design a blade that is what you want. You may not have the luxury to try 50-100 of them before choosing 5 you want to keep. But......I think Der had 10-20 made for him. hahahaha.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tinykin
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
Or just take a knife and craft your name on the handle of your current blade. There you go. It’s certainly for you only!