tokyo mixed doubles 2020 tactics by Mizutani Ito vs XX and LSW

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
well done to Mizutani and Ito for climbing their Everest!!

this was a fascinating match to watch. Ito was incredibly nervous for the first two games. It was impressive how she pulled herself together to play her best in the end Mizutani seemed solid throughout.

it seemed that china's tactics were to play soft and dead returns, avoiding topspin to deny Ito opportunity andryhthm for her fast paced shots Japan seemed to try to rock China back and then pull them back to the table again. I was surprised that often Japan found it difficult to make LSW play in XX's corner but I suppose XX's placement must be credited.
overall I thought it was a very technical match with very clever tactics on both sides which made it hard for both sets of players to flow at first but their were brilliant shots from
all parties before the end
Any other ideas on the tactics at play?

Last edited:

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
I love Mima Ito.

She is so emotional and expressive when she plays. She just can't hide her emotions. This is refreshing in a world where sports people are trained to be like robots. She is one of the most refreshing players in sport at the moment.

I love the other 3 too, was a great game to watch.

The fact that she just slapped straight through some of Xu Xin's topspins was amazing.

Not sure I understood all the tactics but what a wonderful match between 4 awesome players.

Reactions: jammmail