Setup for limited mobility

says Hi, This is my first post. I have observed TTD for...
Sep 2017
Hi,
i stopped playing properly 5 years ago as bad arthritis meant i could not move much. Now i want to try again with a close to the table style. I want to use LP on forehand to block and have perhaps short pips on backhand to hit early and try end rallies quickly. I know most have LP on backhand but BH is my stronger side so i prefer to attack with that. I have Stiga WRB &, TSB balsa blades but may consider a new one. So any recommendations for LP (can't spend much time practicing so moderately easy to use) & is there anything much better than Joola Tango Ultra which i used to use on BH.

Also if i use LP on FH i can block OK but is there a positive stroke to play if someone pushes to my LP.

Any help appreciated.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
LP on forehand has been successfully used by some international wheelchair players (especially from South Korea) who as you can guess have limited mobility. Most of them use Grass DTecs OX.
When you push in their forehand, they push aggressively with horizontal movement.

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
That last remark highlights a positive stroke. Pushblockers can do insane things to a ball, especially when fed with backspin.

I understand (to some extent) the limits posed by arthritis. Hopefully the OP is able to twiddle; if not, it will be excruciatingly hard to deal with lobbing opponents.

Sep 2017

Thanks for replies. I hadn't thought about players lobbing to me, but if i have enough time i can twiddle (i hope).

Pilami says push aggressively with horizontal movement. do you mean with the bat upright?

Any suggestions for the short pips?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
I hope they can inspire you to find your own style.

Regarding your backend, I think it would be better using a backside because in order to benefit from LP spin reversal you must somehow be able to inject spin into the game. With short pips, it'll be more difficult, or maybe use a grippy short pips rubber.

So you should consider keeping your Tenergy in backhand like the Korean girl.

Last edited:
Sep 2017
Thanks for the advice, but i don't really spin much on BH. I tend to block, push & hit thats why i thought short pips would be ok. But you are right its a good idea to inject spin somehow,

Any ideas for a good LP rubber?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
Even if you only block, push & hit, you may want to inject spin on serves otherwise your LP will be less efficient.
LP rubber, like the 2 Korean players: grass dtecs without sponge, in black to avoid transparency issues if your blade has some logo/text painted on LP side.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 3 reviews
A guy in our club has long pips on FH with very thick sponge. He has very light, thick balsa blade. He is penholder and twiddles his racket to normal rubber. He has also problem with his knee and not able to move too much. He is Chinese, former Olympic swimmer back in 90ies :)

He plays;
- chop block against loops with pips,
- rpb with normal rubber
- fh topspin with normal rubber,
- fh topspin motion with long pips,
- fh topspin against long push (you have to hit kinda upwards, he answered when I had asked) ,
- nasty kicker serve with normal rubber
- nasty dropshots

He has around 1500 TTR.

Just to give you an idea.

ELS-NX9 cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

Sep 2017

Thanks, that sounds like what i would like to do. Just hope i don't confuse myself with what side of the rubber i am using after i twiddle ! I will buy something this week,
Just to clarify does no sponge LPs give less or more control? What would be the benefit of having a thin sponge?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019

I thought that no sponge gives greatest disruptive effect, but more difficult than a thin sponge to control. As i can't play much i don't have time to practice so thought a thin sponge would help me.

I rather think the opposite: when you play close to the table, thin sponge is harder to control so you don't hit hard and so your LP shots are less effective. If you were to defend far from the table using chops that would be different though.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi