The Orange Ball should be the standard ball

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I just looked on 2 different TT Web Store sites and looked at color options for all the 3*** balls on each site. One site, the only options for 40+ 3*** balls was white. On the other site, there were many options for white but there was one for a 3 pack of 3*** balls where you could choose between orange and white.

So....Have they actually figured out how to make the Poly Ball in Orange so the balls are good quality yet? I remember, for the first several years, I was wondering when Orange 40+ balls were going to be available. It seems they still are not really all that readily available.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
the orange ball is already accepted by the WTT. After all they used it to play their opening tournament.
Who will actually decide what to play with in a competition is however still a mystery to me.
My vote goes for the orange ball

As far as color of the shirts is concerned all existing rules seem to be thrown out .
Just look at the shirts worn at the Olympics , it is a veritable invasion of the rainbow. - I love it.
To play against the Chinese team I suggest a green ball 😁

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2020
Will all the new colour (right) rubbers coming out, I can say the orange is going to be far from the norm.
White is normally fine in the pro circuit.
it is mostly your amateurs leagues that would have a problem with white wall.
White shirt issue is a garage league problem I think.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
It makes no sense that white is the default color. There's constantly white walls, clothes, and other distractions. Orange is a far more recognizable color and less common in the world. Is there any argument against using orange as the default besides the inertia needed to change norms?

Only if play at non-professional locations. I never play with white balls/shirts or so.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
As far as color of the shirts is concerned all existing rules seem to be thrown out .
Just look at the shirts worn at the Olympics , it is a veritable invasion of the rainbow. - I love it.
😁
The only rule is that the main part of shirt and shorts/skirt has to be different from the ball colour chosen. So even with white balls, a bit of white "here and there" is acceptable for the clothing, and any type of rainbow inspired design should not be an issue.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2020
Orange balls are only good for people that don't look for the ball spinning

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
I remember, for the first several years, I was wondering when Orange 40+ balls were going to be available. It seems they still are not really all that readily available.

I guess there is still a problem, or by now less demand.

In Switzerland for example, when they changed to plastic they also had to change from predominant orange balls to white ones from one day to another (with a bit of preparation time). Not sure they´d be going back?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
The ball color should be based on the playing area conditions such as the color of walls, floors etc. It is a bad idea to suggest ball color should be mandated to any one color for all playing conditions & tournaments & leagues & basement etc. They will have 4 more rubber colors starting in October 2021 & this may also have some say on chosen ball color.
At lower levels , my take on this is that if both or all 4 players agree on a certain ball color, that is all is what should matter. If white & orange are standard now, then maybe both ball colors should be made available to players and they can choose on a match by match basis.(assuming of course that none of the 2 or 4 players or teams involved in the match are wearing conflicting colors). And if there is a disagreement, then the official tournament designated ball and color will be used. At the pro level televising the event & presentation may have bigger say on ball color.

Last edited: