Equipment Help Needed - Trying to Get Back Into TT

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Hi Everyone,

I was quite serious about TT 20+ years ago, even reaching a rating of 2200. I was a mixed player using lobs, chop and fast attacks. Anyways, I stopped playing around 2001 and because I travel and base out of Singapore, Tokyo, Sweden, Finland, Germany, etc.... I really want to get back into the sport. I'm older now and don't have dream of making the USA Team anymore. However, I would love to train again...

I've been looking at all the new equipment, doing research and there are SO MANY CHANGES!!! I used to play Mark5 and a few other smooth rubbers. I used Stiga and Butterfly Blades (AA and OFF-, OFF) and used the first real carbon blade butterfly made..

Anyways, I am trying to decide which blade and rubber I would buy. I have to but all new equipment. :( Looking at Ternergy 05..but the blades?

Can you all recommend a good blade and I work into again.. that is both speedy and good feel? Especially around the table and mid... (Interforce ALC? Timo ALC? Stiga? gggrrrrr so many options!!!)

EDIT:

​​​​​​​OK,

So blade wise I have been looking at these options:

Butterfly Timo Ball ALC, Stiga Dynasty Carbon, Butterfly Petr Korbel, Butterfly Innerforce Layer ALC, Nittaku Acoustic Carbon, Nittaku Acoustic

Are there any other brands/blades you would consider here? Xiom? Donic? etc....

I know the rubber combination is more important, but for mid play, blocks, counter.... lobs... like Xu Xin game kinda..... which blades do you think have the best combo of feel/control and speed?

Thanks...

Chuck

Any and All suggestions would be great! :)

Thanks,

Chuck

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Hi Everyone,

I was quite serious about TT 20+ years ago, even reaching a rating of 2200. I was a mixed player using lobs, chop and fast attacks. Anyways, I stopped playing around 2001 and because I travel and base out of Singapore, Tokyo, Sweden, Finland, Germany, etc.... I really want to get back into the sport. I'm older now and don't have dream of making the USA Team anymore. However, I would love to train again...

I've been looking at all the new equipment, doing research and there are SO MANY CHANGES!!! I used to play Mark5 and a few other smooth rubbers. I used Stiga and Butterfly Blades (AA and OFF-, OFF) and used the first real carbon blade butterfly made..

Anyways, I am trying to decide which blade and rubber I would buy. I have to but all new equipment. :( Looking at Ternergy 05..but the blades?

Can you all recommend a good blade and I work into again.. that is both speedy and good feel? Especially around the table and mid... (Interforce ALC? Timo ALC? Stiga? gggrrrrr so many options!!!)

Any and All suggestions would be great! :)

Thanks,

Chuck

Can’t go wrong with Viscaria that’s why it’s the top selling blade. It’s slightly slower than the newer ALC blades but the feel is better.

Viscaria and Tenergy is just perfect if you like the speed.

Tenergy is a good start. Still very fast for the big plastic ball. Dignics series have harder feeling.

Reactions: lasta
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2020
Have to say, you were traveling in some awesome countries with tons of TT, a pity you didn't bring your bat with you!.
Vis + T05 if you happy to spend some money

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Nothing wrong with neither Viscaria nor Tenergy 05 once the basic gameplay is stable enough to master it.

That being said, I’d say it’s wiser not to shoot for the moon immediately. I like that suggestion of the Stiga OC with Rakza 7. In the same vein, I like the Yasaka Sweden Extra, the Xiom Offensive S and the Butterfly Korbel even better; and Xiom Vega Pro and Nittaku Fastarc G-1 or C-1 (softer) are, to me, also wonderful rubbers, slightly toned down when compared to T05. Which can be a good thing, certainly at first.

Reactions: Carl05
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Read 3 reviews

If you are after amazing feel and good speed I would go for a Nittaku acoustic and get fast, hard rubbers, I’m currently using Xiom China Guang fh and MXD max bh and it spins like a dream. After years of EJing and trying loads of blades I’ve come back to it as it’s feel is just the best which you don’t get with carbon blades, although if you really want tenergy you can’t go wrong with a viscaria... as long as you are at a good enough level to use it.

Reactions: isolator
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
Read 1 reviews
Wouldn't recommend jumping onto the Viscaria/TBALC + Tenergy bandwagon, if you're getting back after a 20+year gap ..

Start with some more basic or even intermediate ..

Blades
  • Stiga Allround Classic (5 ply Basic)
  • Stiga Offensive Classic (5-ply Basic - Intermediate)
  • Tibhar Stratus Powerwood (5-ply Intermediate)
  • Stiga Clipper (7-ply Intermediate'ish)
  • Sanwei Fextra (7-ply Intermediate'ish)

Rubbers
  • Xiom Vega Europe
  • Yasaka Rakza 7 or 7 Soft
  • Tibhar
  • Friendship Focus 3 Snipe
  • Palio AK-47 Yellow or AK-47 Blue

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Dude, you've got plenty of experience, and it doesn't take much to get the feel back.

I'd hazard a guess that 90% of the people are satisfied with Clipper/Viscaria and T05. Most people either start slow (Korbel/OC) then overshoot, but eventually settle on the above 2. Might as well jump straight in and stick with it.

BTW, Stiga OC plays like a blood-sucking matchbox. Slow, too much flex, and with a disturbing hollowness/emptiness to it. If I want to give an example of "a blade that holds you back", that would be it. I wonder how many people recommending it (or something similar) actually uses one as their main blade.

I don't know which Butterfly carbon you used to play with, but even Viscaria feels softer than most old straight up carbon blades. You'll be fine, its not excessive.

Reactions: latej
Dude, you've got plenty of experience, and it doesn't take much to get the feel back.

I'd hazard a guess that 90% of the people are satisfied with Clipper/Viscaria and T05. Most people either start slow (Korbel/OC) then overshoot, but eventually settle on the above 2. Might as well jump straight in and stick with it.

BTW, Stiga OC plays like a blood-sucking matchbox. Slow, too much flex, and with a disturbing hollowness/emptiness to it. If I want to give an example of "a blade that holds you back", that would be it. I wonder how many people recommending it (or something similar) actually uses one as their main blade.

I don't know which Butterfly carbon you used to play with, but even Viscaria feels softer than most old straight up carbon blades. You'll be fine, its not excessive.
You are so wrong, First its is a fast blade with the right rubber. Secondly If You are playing with a blade that is too fast You loose confidence and hold Yourself back and not follow through.
If You play with a blade that is a little too slow for You will learn the correct strokes because THERE IS NOTHING THAT WILL EAT YOUR CONFIDENCE. On the contrary You will need to hit harder to get more speed on the ball. Besides You can alter the speed with different rubbers. I play sometimes with a Primorac Carbon and sometimes with a Yasaka Sweden. And with super fast rubber the Yasaka speed is similar to that of the Primo...

Cheers
L-zr

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021

OK,

So blade wise I have been looking at these options:

Butterfly Timo Ball ALC, Stiga Dynasty Carbon, Butterfly Petr Korbel, Butterfly Innerforce Layer ALC, Nittaku Acoustic Carbon, Nittaku Acoustic

Are there any other brands/blades you would consider here? Xiom? Donic? etc....

I know the rubber combination is more important, but for mid play, blocks, counter.... lobs... like Xu Xin game kinda..... which blades do you think have the best combo of feel/control and speed?

Thanks...

Chuck

The blades on your list are very different. I Would stay away from Stiga Dynasty Carbon (too fast). I don’t know much about Nittaku but I know Stiga and Butterfly. From your list I would:
1) If I wanted a carbon blade, Innerforce layer ALC.
3) If I wanted pure wood, Petr Korbel.

The innerforce technology is a bit of the best of both worlds. The Carbon layer is deep so it doesn’t kick in so much until you hit hard. So it’s slow on loose hits and fast on hard hits. This makes the slow game a lot easier.
I wanted the same blade myself but my dealer had only the ALC.S available immediately. I opted for this one and I don’t regret it. On this one the innerforce effect is even more accentuated. The drawback is that it flexes more, so the vibration is felt more.

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Read 3 reviews

I agree with L-zr, but I would also put the Nittaku Acoustic as a mid point between the innerforce and korbel in terms of speed. Maybe to make it simpler flip an coin between a innerforce or viscaria with two max tenergy 05s and go and be happy with your purchase

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016

There are many good options you could choose from.
I think it mainly depends on what brand you prefer to play with.

I have tried Butterfly Petr Korbel. Please do not get it... it is very heavy. Mine was 101grams.

If you want a good wooden blade, Stiga Offensive Classic or Nittaku Acoustic are very good options.
Nittaku will cost about 2-3 times more, but the quality is better lol.

If you are getting back into the game, stay medium speed. Play for control and "feel"

Not sure why the hell all these guys are saying "gEt vIsCaRiA and dIgNiCs" or even tenergy.

Please don't listen to them.

You will improve faster and feel more confident in your shots with an all wood blade and rubbers like Butterfly Rozena, Yasaka Rakza 7, Xiom Vega pro.
All without breaking the bank too.

This user has no status.

I have tried Butterfly Petr Korbel. Please do not get it... it is very heavy. Mine was 101grams.

If you want a good wooden blade, Stiga Offensive Classic or Nittaku Acoustic are very good options.

If you are getting back into the game, stay medium speed. Play for control and "feel"

Not sure why the hell all these guys are saying "gEt vIsCaRiA and dIgNiCs" or even tenergy.

You will improve faster and feel more confident in your shots with an all wood blade and rubbers like Butterfly Rozena, Yasaka Rakza 7, Xiom Vega pro.

101g Butterfly Petr Korbel?! I thought Butterfly had a good quality control.

says Rozena! You complete me.
Wouldn't recommend jumping onto the Viscaria/TBALC + Tenergy bandwagon, if you're getting back after a 20+year gap ..

Start with some more basic or even intermediate ..

Blades
  • Stiga Allround Classic (5 ply Basic)
  • Stiga Offensive Classic (5-ply Basic - Intermediate)
  • Tibhar Stratus Powerwood (5-ply Intermediate)
  • Stiga Clipper (7-ply Intermediate'ish)
  • Sanwei Fextra (7-ply Intermediate'ish)

Rubbers
  • Xiom Vega Europe
  • Yasaka Rakza 7 or 7 Soft
  • Tibhar
  • Friendship Focus 3 Snipe
  • Palio AK-47 Yellow or AK-47 Blue
If I knew now what I know when I first start my TT career, I would have just bought Tibhar Stratus Powerwood and use Rakza 7 on both FH & BH and stick with it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Read 3 reviews

Ohdavee a Korbel is good if you request a decent weight (85-90g). 101g is impressive I would like to have tried that, mine is 77g... 24g of variation is pretty crazy.😅

We are saying get tenergy because it is a better rubber compared to those you just mentioned, although if he was to go for a good mid tier rubber in that range I would suggest a xiom vega x. If he was a 2200 player he definitely is at a level where he could benefit from high end rubber/blades.