TTD Member 1 2
    M
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 2 1

User Info Menu

Aug 2021
    Great Britain
    Read 0 Reviews

Started Playing Again after 40+ years - What bat ?

Hi all,

Yes i'm nearly 60! I played a great deal in my early teens at Connie Warren's (was ex-england then) Larkhill club in Stockwell. In those days the rubber on both sides could be the same colour and we played all the way to 21. I could do with some equipment advice. I played with a Stiga blade (Stelan Benson) and Super Sriva on the forehand and Sriva on the backhand. Needless to say I'm not quite so quick these days but any equipment recommendations for an old attacker would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

The Following User Likes murfinp's Post:

Manto76

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 148 367
    L
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 367 148

User Info Menu

Hi, I did the same trip recently (45 years). I was a youth elite player in the early 70's.
    I got back to a decent game pretty quick.

I think You mean "Stellan Bengtsson" and Super Sriver and Sriver. (I used these rubbers too).
    Buy blade and rubber separate and glue yourself, its easy there's a million you tube videos that shows how to.

I would suggest a Stiga offensive classic, with maybe Yasaka Rakza 7 rubber (1.8-2mm).
    You can use the same on both sides, it will not matter much in the beginning. With this combo
    Your'e set all the way to advanced level. You can select a faster rubber when You get better.
    The blade may be the last one You need.

Cheers
    L-zr

The Following 2 Users Like Lazer's Post:

Manto76 and UpSideDownCarl

Last edited by Lazer; 08-05-2021 at 06:47 PM.

This user has no status.

TTD Member 1 2
    M
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 2 1

User Info Menu

Aug 2021
    Great Britain
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazer
    Hi, I did the same trip recently (45 years). I was a youth elite player in the early 70's.
    I got back to a decent game pretty quick.

I think You mean "Stellan Bengtson" and Super Sriver and Sriver. (I used these rubbers too).
    Buy blade and rubber separate and glue yourself, its easy there's a million you tube videos that shows how to.

I would suggest a Stiga offemsive classic, with maybe Yasaka Rakza 7 rubber (1.8-2mm).
    You can use the same on both sides, it will not matter much in the beginning. With this combo
    Your'e set all the way to advanced level. You can select a faster rubber when You get better.
    The blade may be the last one You need.

Cheers
    L-zr

Great .. thanks so much

This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 113 187
    This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 187 113

Same story here!
    If you were good in your youth you'll probably pick it up pretty quickly. In that case Lazer's recommendation is good: Stiga OFF Classic (or anything similar if you prefer another brand) with Yasaka Rakza 7 both sides is a good combo that'll serve you well.

The Following User Likes Manto76's Post:

Lazer

This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 128 181
    P
    This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 181 128

User Info Menu

Jul 2019
    Ireland
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by murfinp
    Hi all,

Yes i'm nearly 60! I played a great deal in my early teens at Connie Warren's (was ex-england then) Larkhill club in Stockwell. In those days the rubber on both sides could be the same colour and we played all the way to 21. I could do with some equipment advice. I played with a Stiga blade (Stelan Benson) and Super Sriva on the forehand and Sriva on the backhand. Needless to say I'm not quite so quick these days but any equipment recommendations for an old attacker would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

Larkhall
    Connie Warrens’ club in Stockwell was a great place to learn the Game.
    I have fond memories of Connie and the other coaches. They made the club an exciting place. To have a national or county number 1 player available to practice with five days a week was very special. It was a super competitive atmosphere!

ppp

bh
    spinpips chop2
    yinhe ayous wood 1 ply
    fh
    max moristo sp

This user has no status.

TTD Member 5 31
    T
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 31 5

User Info Menu

Jul 2021
    China
    Read 5 Reviews

I suggest you choose Butterfly's ALC series blades, such as viscaria or boll alc, because they have good stiffness and control.
    You can use butterfly D05/T05 for both forehand and backhand, and it's not too much effort to play.

This user has no status.

TTD Member 8 65
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 65 8

User Info Menu

Dec 2020
    Portugal
    Read 1 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by murfinp
    Hi all,

Thanks

Paul

Butterfly Viscaria

it is neither the cheapest nor the most expensive. But without a doubt it's the best buy.

This user has no status.

TTD Member 39 82
    E
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 82 39

User Info Menu

Feb 2020
    United States
    Read 0 Reviews
    I restarted at 59. The key is to be careful using your memorized youth technique on your current body, I promptly hurt my back. So a good warm-up and stretching before the game is very important. Also I changed my top spin to be more compatible with my back, using the " Chinese " technique where the power comes from the hip, not the back (with a coach).

As for the blade, I started (and overpaid ;-) ) with a slower one (Butterfly Timo Boll control) with Butterfly Sriver on both sides (which I had also played in the 1970's - SuperSriver on the forehand :-) ), and changed later to a faster (and cheaper) one after about a year (Yinhe PD 437 Limba/5x Ayous/Limba, with Yinhe Moon & Uranus Pro from princett.com). The Butterfly Viscaria is probably too fast in the beginning (it is a Koto top / external carbon blade), for me even after 2+ years it is still too fast/crispy, together with the Tenergy tensor rubbers.
    For the rubbers, the Nittaku FastArc G-1 (best-seller at tabletennis11.com), Rakza 7, and Yinhe Moon are roughly equivalent for me (except for the price, Yinhe Moon is $12.50 at princett.com). You can read the blog at tabletennis11.com for lots of reviews of rubbers & blades.
    For the blade, I would go with Limba top in the beginning, and either no Carbon/ALC/ZLC or "internal" Carbon/ALC/ZLC (= 2 layers of wood over the Carbon). So for example any 5-ply Limba/Spruce/Kiri combo will do. 7-ply Limba/5x Ayous/Limba are a little faster & stiffer and better for close to the table play (e.g. the Yinhe PD437, $27). Also note that the balls are slower and bigger now so the Limba/5x Ayous blades are manageable for mere mortals now.
    Also for Limba top blades it is better to varnish them before glueing the rubbers on, tabletennis11.com does it for you on request (and also glues the rubbers).

I also recommend to start with taking lessons from a coach and get the technique in shape. Also at our age knees, ankles, and hips are weak spots so any extra mass (compared to our youth) is not good for the health given the rapid movements in table tennis in the heat of the battle.

Also if you intend to play attack, you will have a hard time against the 20-50 crowd. So I decided to use short pips backhand (and play like Mima Ito) to at least not be completely mainstream. This has worked out so far. Other more senior players consider long pips backhand but the problem with that one is that a good attacker can beat it.

The Following User Likes ejprinz's Post:

ShakeHold PenHand

"EJ" ... Yinhe Purple Dragon 437, Moon Soft, Uranus Pro Short Pips. Sanwei Fextra, Yinhe [Pro-01, Pro 5-W, PD437, Pro Feeling, T6s, T7s, 970xxA], Nittaku Fastarc G1/Nittaku Moristo SP, Yasaka Rakza PO/7(Soft), DHS HNeo3/Yinhe Pluto, Yinhe Sun/Moon/Jupiter/Moon Speed/Uranus Pro Soft+Medium, ...

This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member 386 835
    B
    This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member 835 386

User Info Menu

There is no correct answer. I tried playing with just about every combination there is. I am 68 now but started play again at 59 after 38 years of making millions. I tried playing with "junk" rubbers. Everyone still tells me I play best with double inverted or at least SP on my BH.

This user has no status.

TTD Member 1 2
    T
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 2 1

User Info Menu

Aug 2021
    Germany
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by brokenball
    There is no correct answer. I tried playing with just about every combination there is. I am 68 now but started play again at 59 after 38 years of making millions. I tried playing with "junk" rubbers. Everyone still tells me I play best with double inverted or at least SP on my BH.
    Amazing. You openly disrespect & ridicule another player's rubber by calling it junk & still made millions. This really gives me hope & inspires me . Thank you
    Nice to know that you are being lead the right path by those who tell you that you must be a "normal" player using "regular" rubbers.

The Following User Likes TimosBoll's Post:

Lazer

Last edited by TimosBoll; 08-09-2021 at 07:57 PM.

This user has no status.

TTD Member 5 31
    T
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 31 5

User Info Menu

Jul 2021
    China
    Read 5 Reviews
    Both Butterfly Viscaria and Boll ALC are the two most used racquets today.
    Considering your age, the boll alc will be a little bit more effortless.

This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 1,374 1,649
    L
    This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 1,649 1,374

User Info Menu

Oct 2016
    Sweden
    Read 0 Reviews
    Is it wise to advice him to start with a carbon blade when it was years ago he played and he the used an Stellan Bengtsson blade? Easier to start with all wood?

The Following 2 Users Like Lula's Post:

Manto76 and SamTheMan

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 78 216
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 216 78

I'm on Lula's side here. Why go wild and crazy with expensive Butterfly gear when you don't know what fits you at this day and age. Go for something like The Stiga Offensive Classic or the more light weight Stiga Energy Wood WRB with a couple of allround/offensive rubbers like Rakza 7. You could even do really good with a Chinese setup for a starter, and the price will not be higher than €35. Just an example. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000804606894.html

The Following User Likes mocker88's Post:

pingpongpaddy