Wally Rebounder

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
Searched but didn't find anything recent. Just ordered a Wally rebounder and am pretty excited. The repetitive forehand and backhand will hopefully enable me to really work on footwork and touch/feel of ball during stroke. This will be great imo and enable me to spend a lot of time practicing. Better for me than a robot I think.
Anyone else have rebound board experience or opinions. Plan is to make a video asap to share for critique.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
one CAN train shots against the board but because they shots that come back of the board are neither robot-shots nor shots from good TTplayers
you will take on """unnatural stances """" and develop bad habits.

So what it different? A ball has velocity and spin around an axis. The ball doesn't care how it is achieved.

My problem with return boards is that they must be set back from the end of the table a bit so the time or position that the ball hits the return board is about the same time a position a player would hit the ball from behind the table. This is necessary to simulate the correct timing between strokes. Obviously returned ball will have less speed and spin than the ball the player hit and this is the flaw with return boards. The return board cannot simulate balls that are better or the same as the player can generate. However, I don't see how this would cause one to have bad habits. I just can't see how it would one improve that much.

One thing I would try is waiting for the ball to drop to below net height and loop it. Will the extra top spin of ball cause it to rebound too high?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
Appreciate and understand everyone's take so far. I will be happy to just get the repetition in regardless of quality of ball coming to me for now at least.

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Appreciate and understand everyone's take so far. I will be happy to just get the repetition in regardless of quality of ball coming to me for now at least.

fair enough.
The problem here is that the balls you will give back to the board, again and again and again will also be of a ,shall we say" certain quality" 😆

says Rozena! You complete me.
Mar 2021

So what it different? A ball has velocity and spin around an axis. The ball doesn't care how it is achieved.

My problem with return boards is that they must be set back from the end of the table a bit so the time or position that the ball hits the return board is about the same time a position a player would hit the ball from behind the table. This is necessary to simulate the correct timing between strokes. Obviously returned ball will have less speed and spin than the ball the player hit and this is the flaw with return boards. The return board cannot simulate balls that are better or the same as the player can generate. However, I don't see how this would cause one to have bad habits. I just can't see how it would one improve that much.

One thing I would try is waiting for the ball to drop to below net height and loop it. Will the extra top spin of ball cause it to rebound too high?

I can assist to answer. I have been playing against rebounding boards for the past three months as my all the TT centers in my country has been ordered to suspend operation since mid May to curb the Covid19 pandemic.

Will the extra spin cause it to rebound to high? Yes. That is why you will learn to loop a certain strength to avoid it landing too outside the table. It is a trial and error process.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021

I can assist to answer. I have been playing against rebounding boards for the past three months as my all the TT centers in my country has been ordered to suspend operation since mid May to curb the Covid19 pandemic.

Will the extra spin cause it to rebound to high? Yes. That is why you will learn to loop a certain strength to avoid it landing too outside the table. It is a trial and error process.

Doesn't the infinitely adjustable angle of the return board come into play in the above situation?

Mar 2021
Doesn't the infinitely adjustable angle of the return board come into play in the above situation?

Yes of course, you may adjust or tweek the angle and distance to find the Holy Grail distance. Even when one have found the best angle, the looping is very variable, you can sometime loop too powerfully and oops the ball goes out. This tend to happen with me, when I get a good topspin loop, I tend to add more and more power until the ball goes out. It is just me, I'd love to go all HULK-SMASH mode whenever possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: wheelbuilder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021

Yes of course, you may adjust or tweek the angle and distance to find the Holy Grail distance. Even when one have found the best angle, the looping is very variable, you can sometime loop too powerfully and oops the ball goes out. This tend to happen with me, when I get a good topspin loop, I tend to add more and more power until the ball goes out. It is just me, I'd love to go all HULK-SMASH mode whenever possible.

Gotcha. Instruction videos related this exact thing. You can't be tempted to increase speed or power while you are looping and must stay with exact chosen power/spin. So in that way, yes they are not helpful. For a relative newb that needs lots of repetition and footwork I'm hoping it will help.
Thanks for your replies!

Dang, why are none of the cool things easily available in the UK. I think I'll probably look at getting a robot though, as I'd like to have that multiball training on tap whenever I feel like it. I'd like to be able to hit to different areas, but with a Wally Rebounder thing, you really have to just hit at the same target all the time.

A robot will mean I can easily have a few hours or so practising at home after work without having to travel out to the sports centre.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
Arrived this eve. Set up was was a breeze. Understanding the distance and angles required as well as the initial feed ball to get started had a bit of a learning curve but not a hurdle to decent players I would imagine. I am thankful that I at least am pretty comfortable at this stage with drives and loops as this is an absolute requirement to get a rhythm going. Can't imagine being a beginning player trying to use this.
Quality is very good. Tripods are decent quality, swivels that control angle of board are well done, and board itself is very nice. Several plies of birch and ten ITTF approved, but very cheap Chinese rubbers. The whole thing functions well and knowing my athletic and obsessive personality I will spend hours on this thing.
The main negative is you cannot vary your pace/power in any way or your returned ball will not be playable. Excellent for developing muscle memory and consistency I imagine and look forward to. Highly recommended and will report back with a real review and some video once I get comfortable! Thanks for reading.
595cb314c1282d4ff1dbaad9e18a1ef1.jpg

Mar 2021
Arrived this eve. Set up was was a breeze. Understanding the distance and angles required as well as the initial feed ball to get started had a bit of a learning curve but not a hurdle to decent players I would imagine. I am thankful that I at least am pretty comfortable at this stage with drives and loops as this is an absolute requirement to get a rhythm going. Can't imagine being a beginning player trying to use this.
Quality is very good. Tripods are decent quality, swivels that control angle of board are well done, and board itself is very nice. Several plies of birch and ten ITTF approved, but very cheap Chinese rubbers. The whole thing functions well and knowing my athletic and obsessive personality I will spend hours on this thing.
The main negative is you cannot vary your pace/power in any way or your returned ball will not be playable. Excellent for developing muscle memory and consistency I imagine and look forward to. Highly recommended and will report back with a real review and some video once I get comfortable! Thanks for reading.
595cb314c1282d4ff1dbaad9e18a1ef1.jpg

Enjoy! There is a tendency for one to buy one more after a while to cover the other side. It will become a hassle to move it around to do BH and FH.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021

Enjoy! There is a tendency for one to buy one more after a while to cover the other side. It will become a hassle to move it around to do BH and FH.

Lol. That's what I started to think about already. Should have just trusted that I could do this thing no problem, and bought 2 initially. Thanks!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
In case anyone wants to see the "produced in" label.
Absolutely love this thing. Can't stop hitting.
4e84ecc5448d17fbd16c78fe98f97661.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
Still working on video set-up, but after hitting with this thing for a few weeks I have to say it is really enjoyable. By really taking the time to adjust the tilt angle and distance from the table you can hit a variety of pace strokes. You are not limited to one speed only. Hitting the ball close to the board or shallower on the table will also drastically alter its return to you. I have played every single day for at least 20 minutes and sometimes an hour. It is a great workout and is great for working on your mechanics.
I can see it possibly being detrimental to use all the time when you face another player, but it is a great tool and a lot of fun when using it as designed.

Reactions: Gozo Aruna
Mar 2021
Still working on video set-up, but after hitting with this thing for a few weeks I have to say it is really enjoyable. By really taking the time to adjust the tilt angle and distance from the table you can hit a variety of pace strokes. You are not limited to one speed only. Hitting the ball close to the board or shallower on the table will also drastically alter its return to you. I have played every single day for at least 20 minutes and sometimes an hour. It is a great workout and is great for working on your mechanics.
I can see it possibly being detrimental to use all the time when you face another player, but it is a great tool and a lot of fun when using it as designed.

Sigh, that is all I could do these days as after 3 months my area is still under continuous Covid Lockdown and I am stuck playing with rebounding board at home until today. My FH topspin is my weak stroke and I hope after 3 months of continuous hitting topspin against the rebounding board, I will get to dominate and devastate my club mates when the TT center reopens. I can only hope and wait... 😥

Last edited:
Reactions: wheelbuilder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
I have tried many similar devices. There is no better tool than the Wally Rebounder board to help you achieve your goals. The Wally adjusts quickly and gives you direct and immediate feedback to fine tune your kick like no other tool. The Wally Rebounder's patented mounting system provides unlimited tilt adjustment. This is very important because even small changes of 1/16th of an inch can make your game even more challenging. I used to do lacrosse, and I have a similar lacrosse wall rebounder. All of these simulators are very useful, even for amateurs.

Last edited: