Back to Forum
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. wheelbuilder is online now
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 36 46
    wheelbuilder's Avatar
    wheelbuilder is online now
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 46 36

    User Info Menu


    Jan 2021
    United States
    46
    36
    81
    Read 0 Reviews
    #1

    Wally Rebounder

    Searched but didn't find anything recent. Just ordered a Wally rebounder and am pretty excited. The repetitive forehand and backhand will hopefully enable me to really work on footwork and touch/feel of ball during stroke. This will be great imo and enable me to spend a lot of time practicing. Better for me than a robot I think.
    Anyone else have rebound board experience or opinions. Plan is to make a video asap to share for critique.

  2. Lazer is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 165 398
    L
    Lazer is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 398 165

    User Info Menu

    #2
    I used one once, If I recall correctly its really picky on how You hit the ball if You expect something serious in return. For me a robot works much better.

    Cheers
    L-zr

  3. lodro is offline
    says TT-CLOWN, old git
     
    Senior TTD Member 229 660
    L
    lodro is offline
    says TT-CLOWN, old git
     
    Senior TTD Member 660 229
    #3
    one CAN train shots against the board but because they shots that come back of the board are neither robot-shots nor shots from good TTplayers
    you will take on """unnatural stances """" and develop bad habits.

  4. brokenball is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 409 910
    B
    brokenball is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 910 409

    User Info Menu

    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by lodro
    one CAN train shots against the board but because they shots that come back of the board are neither robot-shots nor shots from good TTplayers
    you will take on """unnatural stances """" and develop bad habits.

    So what it different? A ball has velocity and spin around an axis. The ball doesn't care how it is achieved.

    My problem with return boards is that they must be set back from the end of the table a bit so the time or position that the ball hits the return board is about the same time a position a player would hit the ball from behind the table. This is necessary to simulate the correct timing between strokes. Obviously returned ball will have less speed and spin than the ball the player hit and this is the flaw with return boards. The return board cannot simulate balls that are better or the same as the player can generate. However, I don't see how this would cause one to have bad habits. I just can't see how it would one improve that much.

    One thing I would try is waiting for the ball to drop to below net height and loop it. Will the extra top spin of ball cause it to rebound too high?


  5. wheelbuilder is online now
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 36 46
    wheelbuilder's Avatar
    wheelbuilder is online now
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 46 36

    User Info Menu


    Jan 2021
    United States
    46
    36
    81
    Read 0 Reviews
    #5
    Appreciate and understand everyone's take so far. I will be happy to just get the repetition in regardless of quality of ball coming to me for now at least.

    Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

  6. lodro is offline
    says TT-CLOWN, old git
     
    Senior TTD Member 229 660
    L
    lodro is offline
    says TT-CLOWN, old git
     
    Senior TTD Member 660 229
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelbuilder
    Appreciate and understand everyone's take so far. I will be happy to just get the repetition in regardless of quality of ball coming to me for now at least.

    Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk


    fair enough.
    The problem here is that the balls you will give back to the board, again and again and again will also be of a ,shall we say" certain quality" 😆


  7. Gozo is offline
    says May the Spin be with you!
     
    Established TTD Member 99 188
    Gozo's Avatar
    Gozo is offline
    says May the Spin be with you!
     
    Established TTD Member 188 99
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by brokenball

    So what it different? A ball has velocity and spin around an axis. The ball doesn't care how it is achieved.

    My problem with return boards is that they must be set back from the end of the table a bit so the time or position that the ball hits the return board is about the same time a position a player would hit the ball from behind the table. This is necessary to simulate the correct timing between strokes. Obviously returned ball will have less speed and spin than the ball the player hit and this is the flaw with return boards. The return board cannot simulate balls that are better or the same as the player can generate. However, I don't see how this would cause one to have bad habits. I just can't see how it would one improve that much.

    One thing I would try is waiting for the ball to drop to below net height and loop it. Will the extra top spin of ball cause it to rebound too high?

    I can assist to answer. I have been playing against rebounding boards for the past three months as my all the TT centers in my country has been ordered to suspend operation since mid May to curb the Covid19 pandemic.

    Will the extra spin cause it to rebound to high? Yes. That is why you will learn to loop a certain strength to avoid it landing too outside the table. It is a trial and error process.


  8. wheelbuilder is online now
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 36 46
    wheelbuilder's Avatar
    wheelbuilder is online now
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 46 36

    User Info Menu


    Jan 2021
    United States
    46
    36
    81
    Read 0 Reviews
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Gozo

    I can assist to answer. I have been playing against rebounding boards for the past three months as my all the TT centers in my country has been ordered to suspend operation since mid May to curb the Covid19 pandemic.

    Will the extra spin cause it to rebound to high? Yes. That is why you will learn to loop a certain strength to avoid it landing too outside the table. It is a trial and error process.

    Doesn't the infinitely adjustable angle of the return board come into play in the above situation?

    Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

  9. Gozo is offline
    says May the Spin be with you!
     
    Established TTD Member 99 188
    Gozo's Avatar
    Gozo is offline
    says May the Spin be with you!
     
    Established TTD Member 188 99
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelbuilder
    Doesn't the infinitely adjustable angle of the return board come into play in the above situation?

    Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

    Yes of course, you may adjust or tweek the angle and distance to find the Holy Grail distance. Even when one have found the best angle, the looping is very variable, you can sometime loop too powerfully and oops the ball goes out. This tend to happen with me, when I get a good topspin loop, I tend to add more and more power until the ball goes out. It is just me, I'd love to go all HULK-SMASH mode whenever possible.

    Last edited by Gozo; 08-14-2021 at 06:00 AM.

  10. wheelbuilder is online now
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 36 46
    wheelbuilder's Avatar
    wheelbuilder is online now
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 46 36

    User Info Menu


    Jan 2021
    United States
    46
    36
    81
    Read 0 Reviews
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Gozo

    Yes of course, you may adjust or tweek the angle and distance to find the Holy Grail distance. Even when one have found the best angle, the looping is very variable, you can sometime loop too powerfully and oops the ball goes out. This tend to happen with me, when I get a good topspin loop, I tend to add more and more power until the ball goes out. It is just me, I'd love to go all HULK-SMASH mode whenever possible.

    Gotcha. Instruction videos related this exact thing. You can't be tempted to increase speed or power while you are looping and must stay with exact chosen power/spin. So in that way, yes they are not helpful. For a relative newb that needs lots of repetition and footwork I'm hoping it will help.
    Thanks for your replies!

    Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

  11. Der_Echte is offline
    says Grand Consultant to the Office of the Goon Squad
     
    Master TTD Member 11,092 10,888
    Der_Echte's Avatar
    Der_Echte is offline
    says Grand Consultant to the Office of the Goon Squad
     
    Master TTD Member 10,888 11,092

    User Info Menu

    #11
    Maybe check out their old school youtube ad...
    President, Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club. Hit us up on TTD or Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/koreaforeignttc

    Janitor at NexyUSA TT Equipment Shop
    http://www.nexyusa.com

    View our Lame Nexy USA corporate FB page
    http://www.facebook.com/nexyusa

  12. lodro is offline
    says TT-CLOWN, old git
     
    Senior TTD Member 229 660
    L
    lodro is offline
    says TT-CLOWN, old git
     
    Senior TTD Member 660 229
    #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Der_Echte
    Maybe check out their old school youtube ad...


    OK, you convinced me I will wait 400 years then get myself the wally re-bounder.
    See you at the Olympics 2420 🤣


  13. RunawayAtLarge is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 9 26
    R
    RunawayAtLarge is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 26 9
    #13
    Dang, why are none of the cool things easily available in the UK. I think I'll probably look at getting a robot though, as I'd like to have that multiball training on tap whenever I feel like it. I'd like to be able to hit to different areas, but with a Wally Rebounder thing, you really have to just hit at the same target all the time.

    A robot will mean I can easily have a few hours or so practising at home after work without having to travel out to the sports centre.
    Last edited by RunawayAtLarge; 08-15-2021 at 01:23 AM.

  14. wheelbuilder is online now
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 36 46
    wheelbuilder's Avatar
    wheelbuilder is online now
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 46 36

    User Info Menu


    Jan 2021
    United States
    46
    36
    81
    Read 0 Reviews
    #14
    Arrived this eve. Set up was was a breeze. Understanding the distance and angles required as well as the initial feed ball to get started had a bit of a learning curve but not a hurdle to decent players I would imagine. I am thankful that I at least am pretty comfortable at this stage with drives and loops as this is an absolute requirement to get a rhythm going. Can't imagine being a beginning player trying to use this.
    Quality is very good. Tripods are decent quality, swivels that control angle of board are well done, and board itself is very nice. Several plies of birch and ten ITTF approved, but very cheap Chinese rubbers. The whole thing functions well and knowing my athletic and obsessive personality I will spend hours on this thing.
    The main negative is you cannot vary your pace/power in any way or your returned ball will not be playable. Excellent for developing muscle memory and consistency I imagine and look forward to. Highly recommended and will report back with a real review and some video once I get comfortable! Thanks for reading.

    Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

  15. Gozo is offline
    says May the Spin be with you!
     
    Established TTD Member 99 188
    Gozo's Avatar
    Gozo is offline
    says May the Spin be with you!
     
    Established TTD Member 188 99
    #15
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelbuilder
    Arrived this eve. Set up was was a breeze. Understanding the distance and angles required as well as the initial feed ball to get started had a bit of a learning curve but not a hurdle to decent players I would imagine. I am thankful that I at least am pretty comfortable at this stage with drives and loops as this is an absolute requirement to get a rhythm going. Can't imagine being a beginning player trying to use this.
    Quality is very good. Tripods are decent quality, swivels that control angle of board are well done, and board itself is very nice. Several plies of birch and ten ITTF approved, but very cheap Chinese rubbers. The whole thing functions well and knowing my athletic and obsessive personality I will spend hours on this thing.
    The main negative is you cannot vary your pace/power in any way or your returned ball will not be playable. Excellent for developing muscle memory and consistency I imagine and look forward to. Highly recommended and will report back with a real review and some video once I get comfortable! Thanks for reading.

    Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

    Enjoy! There is a tendency for one to buy one more after a while to cover the other side. It will become a hassle to move it around to do BH and FH.


  16. wheelbuilder is online now
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 36 46
    wheelbuilder's Avatar
    wheelbuilder is online now
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 46 36

    User Info Menu


    Jan 2021
    United States
    46
    36
    81
    Read 0 Reviews
    #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Gozo

    Enjoy! There is a tendency for one to buy one more after a while to cover the other side. It will become a hassle to move it around to do BH and FH.

    Lol. That's what I started to think about already. Should have just trusted that I could do this thing no problem, and bought 2 initially. Thanks!

    Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

  17. wheelbuilder is online now
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 36 46
    wheelbuilder's Avatar
    wheelbuilder is online now
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 46 36

    User Info Menu


    Jan 2021
    United States
    46
    36
    81
    Read 0 Reviews
    #17
    In case anyone wants to see the "produced in" label.
    Absolutely love this thing. Can't stop hitting.

    Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

  18. wheelbuilder is online now
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 36 46
    wheelbuilder's Avatar
    wheelbuilder is online now
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 46 36

    User Info Menu


    Jan 2021
    United States
    46
    36
    81
    Read 0 Reviews
    #18
    Still working on video set-up, but after hitting with this thing for a few weeks I have to say it is really enjoyable. By really taking the time to adjust the tilt angle and distance from the table you can hit a variety of pace strokes. You are not limited to one speed only. Hitting the ball close to the board or shallower on the table will also drastically alter its return to you. I have played every single day for at least 20 minutes and sometimes an hour. It is a great workout and is great for working on your mechanics.
    I can see it possibly being detrimental to use all the time when you face another player, but it is a great tool and a lot of fun when using it as designed.

    Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

    The Following User Likes wheelbuilder's Post:

    Gozo


  19. Gozo is offline
    says May the Spin be with you!
     
    Established TTD Member 99 188
    Gozo's Avatar
    Gozo is offline
    says May the Spin be with you!
     
    Established TTD Member 188 99
    #19
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelbuilder
    Still working on video set-up, but after hitting with this thing for a few weeks I have to say it is really enjoyable. By really taking the time to adjust the tilt angle and distance from the table you can hit a variety of pace strokes. You are not limited to one speed only. Hitting the ball close to the board or shallower on the table will also drastically alter its return to you. I have played every single day for at least 20 minutes and sometimes an hour. It is a great workout and is great for working on your mechanics.
    I can see it possibly being detrimental to use all the time when you face another player, but it is a great tool and a lot of fun when using it as designed.

    Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

    Sigh, that is all I could do these days as after 3 months my area is still under continuous Covid Lockdown and I am stuck playing with rebounding board at home until today. My FH topspin is my weak stroke and I hope after 3 months of continuous hitting topspin against the rebounding board, I will get to dominate and devastate my club mates when the TT center reopens. I can only hope and wait... 😥

    Last edited by Gozo; 09-10-2021 at 02:40 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Create a new Topic:
Title is required.