Is this competition legal?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
Hello, I have an old short pips rubber sheet that I used voc glue on for fun. Now I am thinking about using it again but with water glue only. The problem is I can't get rid of the old voc glue layer. If I just glue over the old layer and use it, would it be tournament legal? and is there a way to get rid of voc glue layers?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
The voc should be long gone from the old glue and depending on the tournament, no one really cares.

Reactions: sampletext
The voc should be long gone from the old glue and depending on the tournament, no one really cares.

I'm just wondering... But why have a rule which realistically I can't imagine them enforcing - are they going to rip the rubber off to inspect every game? Also, why have a rule which is in place that no one cares about?

I'm wondering how / why did they even have this rule in the first place? What was the actual reasoning behind it?

I mean, I'm a sucker for rules since I'm a lawyer in my day job. If I'm the only one in a game / tourney not speedgluing, am I going to be at a disadvantage? What is that disadvantage?

Sorry, I'm newly back to playing TT after around 10 to 15 years away from regular playing, so apologies for the dumb questions.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The reason they banned voc speed glues is because of their toxicity
there was an unconfirmed health accident in japan a while back
This was the excuse. Not the reason. The reason was, they wanted to slow the game down. The excuse was that it was dangerous.

You can see the same method with the switch from celluloid to Poly balls. They said there was a worldwide ban on celluloid because of how dangerous it is because of how flammable it is. There was no worldwide ban on celluloid. And while celluloid is flammable, it had been used to make TT balls for more than half a century.

BTW: in the 1990s ITTF tried to ban speed glue also. But the players rose up and fought against the ban. So, they let it slide for another decade before they tried again.

Some of the issue for the changes may also have been, the TT companies (and therefore the ITTF) benefitted financially from everyone having to change equipment.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
This was the excuse. Not the reason. The reason was, they wanted to slow the game down. The excuse was that it was dangerous.

You can see the same method with the switch from celluloid to Poly balls. They said there was a worldwide ban on celluloid because of how dangerous it is because of how flammable it is. There was no worldwide ban on celluloid. And while celluloid is flammable, it had been used to make TT balls for more than half a century.

BTW: in the 1990s ITTF tried to ban speed glue also. But the players rose up and fought against the ban. So, they let it slide for another decade before they tried again.

Some of the issue for the changes may also have been, the TT companies (and therefore the ITTF) benefitted financially from everyone having to change equipment.

Some of the better speedglues smelled like paint thinner. I remember I once bought a liter of Yasaka speed glue and it smelled unbearable. It worked super well though. Anyways speed glue was surely toxic and dangerous, I would not debate this.

I totally agree that there was commercial interest from the manufacturers as well, and I also remember that they tried to slow down the game, and the first step for that was the 38 to 40mm ball. (I kinda recall something that they also said it's better for broadcastability too)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Some of the better speedglues smelled like paint thinner. I remember I once bought a liter of Yasaka speed glue and it smelled unbearable. It worked super well though. Anyways speed glue was surely toxic and dangerous, I would not debate this.

I totally agree that there was commercial interest from the manufacturers as well, and I also remember that they tried to slow down the game, and the first step for that was the 38 to 40mm ball. (I kinda recall something that they also said it's better for broadcastability too)

Speed glue killed brain cells and could get you high. Smelling the fumes from speed glue was definitely not good for you.

But the reason ITTF banned it had absolutely nothing to do with that even though they used that as the excuse.

And if it was for health reasons, why are boosters which are still commonly used, but harmless, nevertheless part of the ban? Why are non-toxic boosters against the rules?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
You guys should also know that the original change to 40+ Poly Ball was intended to be a change to ONLY THE SEAMLESS POLY BALL. This was also connected with the fact that XuShauFa had a patent on the process of making the particular poly ball that they planned to approve and Adham Sharara had a profit percentage for every ball that was sold. So, the original change to Poly ball was intended to give Sharara and XuShaoFa a corner on the market of TT ball sales. However, all the other TT brands banded together and petitioned that there had to be seamed alternatives.

So, how Sharara originally planned things did not pan out. But the original plan was for it to be only seamless and only one kind of seamless that would have be be controlled by one company that Sharara had his fingers in.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
Yeah, if I feel sarcastic I could imagine this video to be true, but I would just call it a compilation of popular theories among the people who got screwed with the rule changes.

But it's true that boosting a gray area that cannot be enforced, in fact many players still use speedglue. If you're not in a serious competition you can do whatever.

Surely ITTF should be worried about their broadcast quality. Literally youtube is filled with comments about garbage video quality matches.
T2 or the T-legaue videos are like a breath of fresh air compared to ITTF events.

Reactions: Lazer
This video is entertaining. It is comedy. But most of the history is fairly accurate:

LOL. I watched this video and now I get it. Basically, I get screwed over with my pants on because I follow rules. Wow... I mean, I get this is sarcastic, but when you have an unenforceable rule, it basically is that in reality, isn't it? Hahaha.

Guess I'm the sucker for still wanting to stick by the rules regardless then... =(

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
Hello, I have an old short pips rubber sheet that I used voc glue on for fun. Now I am thinking about using it again but with water glue only. The problem is I can't get rid of the old voc glue layer. If I just glue over the old layer and use it, would it be tournament legal? and is there a way to get rid of voc glue layers?

Guess @sampletext got their answer... should be legal as voc should be long gone, but if not, then it's not enforceable anyway LOL.

Reactions: sampletext