Stiga DNA Dragon Grip

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Hi,

I am new here!

I am very curios about these rubbers from Stiga: "Stiga DNA Dragon Grip 55" (Could not post link since I am new)

I should mention that I am fairly new to "real" table tennis scene as I have started playing in my local table tennis club recently. I have played on a hobby basis before this..

Right now I am using a premade Donic racket but I would like to build my own. The people at the club think my racket is.. A little meh.
I used to have a Stiga racket (Also premade) before that I thought was preatty nice.

So I wonder if this rubber is completely out of the question for me to try out? Or if I could use it on just the forehand or backhand?

Any thoughts? And has anyone here used it? :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
If you’ve not used a “proper” bat before, they will be way too hard for you. Try something in the middle ground (47.5 degree) first. After 3 months or more, you may try softer or harder, tacky or not, when you already have a feel of what these mean.

If you want to be lazy, eg., practise as casually as you want, then try even softer rubbers. They tend to be more enjoyable.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021

Ah I see. I have tried some of the rackets that they use at the club, one of them was Tenergy and that felt really nice but a bit fast and uncontrollable for me right now. So I would like to have a rubber with a lot of spin but still controllable for now.

Do you guys have any recommendations? :)

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020

Ah I see. I have tried some of the rackets that they use at the club, one of them was Tenergy and that felt really nice but a bit fast and uncontrollable for me right now. So I would like to have a rubber with a lot of spin but still controllable for now.

Do you guys have any recommendations? :)

no rubbers have spin, spin has to be created with technique.
Still, some rubbers will lend themself more to then react to the technique than others.
I suggest you try a DHS Hurricane 3 NEO. start with a 38/39 - 2.15mm

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
If you can afford it and want Stiga, Mantra or DNA M and S in 1,9 or 1,7 on Stiga allround evolution might work.

To answer the question: I would consider Dragon Grip out of reach, for many of the players, hard sponge requires technique and power, which is accompanied with frequent training.

Last edited:
If you can afford it and want Stiga, Mantra or DNA M and S in 1,9 or 1,7 on Stiga allround evolution might work.

To answer the question: I would consider Dragon Grip out of reach, for many of the players, hard sponge requires technique and power, which is accompanied with frequent training.
Mantra may not be such a good idea since it has been discontinued...

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
Hi,

I am new here!

I am very curios about these rubbers from Stiga: "Stiga DNA Dragon Grip 55" (Could not post link since I am new)

I should mention that I am fairly new to "real" table tennis scene as I have started playing in my local table tennis club recently. I have played on a hobby basis before this..

Right now I am using a premade Donic racket but I would like to build my own. The people at the club think my racket is.. A little meh.
I used to have a Stiga racket (Also premade) before that I thought was preatty nice.

So I wonder if this rubber is completely out of the question for me to try out? Or if I could use it on just the forehand or backhand?

Any thoughts? And has anyone here used it? :)
If you are in a club I suggest that you try some more with your clubmates' bats. Tenergy is "nice" if you are in control and play, say, loop-to-loop but what happens when you are under stress? When you are late to the ball and your legs are not "in order"? That's when you might end up having problems with rubbers like Tenergy. And maybe Stiga DNA as well. And the same goes for blades. Do not go for Butterfly Jun Mizutani Super ZLC or similar, look for something that lets you develop over time, something that is more forgiving. It may feel "boring" right now but you will understand the benefits as you move along. And don't forget: Usually your coach will have some very good advice when it comes to choosing equipment. Ask him/her!

Reactions: SamTheMan
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Hmm.. After some thinking and much help from all of your comments I won't be getting the Stiga rubber :) I think I will try the Hurricane rubber on one side and see what that feels like :) Thank you for your thoughts and tips! It is much appreciated!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Read 3 reviews
Whilst the choosing the right rubber is important, choosing the right blade is way more so as it affects how the rubber plays. I would get a slowish offensive blade like a korbel to start off with and go from there, if you glue a hurricane to a premade blade that’s like putting a spoiler on a golf buggy and expecting it to perform like a rally car... the engine/blade is what needs to be of good spec for it to perform. Besides premade rackets will splinter onto the hurricane if you ever want to move it to another blade, I speak from experience!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews
Why not try something like this https://www.stigasports.com/eu/energy-wood-wrb-table-tennis-blade, with a Chinese hybrid-like rubber like Yinhe Big Dipper?
Then you have a controllable wood blade with a set of rubbers a bit like DHS Hurricane 3 NEO, but with a softer feel. These are still quite spin sensitive, so you could go with something like 729 Focus III Snipe or Palio AK47, that are not tacky and gives you a more Euro/Jap feeling but more linear, which could be good for you when developing your technique. And they are not that spin sensitive, although giving enough spin and speed in an offensive game to win points.

Big Dipper and Hurricane-like rubbers often last very long, while 729 F3S and AK47 is more brittle and light weight.

Just an opinion. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
Mantra may not be such a good idea since it has been discontinued...

Cheers
L-zr

Wait what?? Did they annouced it somewhere? I can´t find them at their page though. This would be tragic for me.l

Edit: not that big since I can see lot of them that can be bought from shop, but playing with discontinued rubber would feel weird.

Last edited:
One of my dealers had a sale stating this about 6 months ago and it’s gone from Stigas official site. Lots of dealer have them in stock so you better grab them while you can. I think they were great for speed but less for spin.

Cheers
L-zr

says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
It seems to be quite new this rubber. https://www.stigasports.com/eu/dna-dragon-grip-55-table-tennis-rubber-black
Perhaps somewhere like Rakza Z Hard or Dignics 09c?
Yeah, I think it was released around the same time as the latest DNA Platinum (which were recently reviewed by Dan and Tom.) could be wrong, but it’s a new(er) rubber.
Should play similar to Rakza Z, Donic Bluegrip, D09C, in that sort of range.

If it’s like Rakza Z etc it won’t (or shouldn’t) feel as hard as the sponge hardness would suggest. This will depend on how soft the rubber top sheet is.
Stiga rumble on about C-Touch Tensor technology which suggests it is a fairly bouncy sponge, possible similar to Rakza Z’s. They also hint that it has a ‘newly glued’ feel, so it’s probably factory boosted or tuned.
The tacky top sheet will deaden the feel, but not as ‘dead as H3 or H3Neo etc.

Best guess is it’s Stiga’s latest ‘Hybrid’ style rubber to compete against BTY’s D09C
Not many reviews of this rubber to go on!!!

oOMelon

If you are new to ‘real’ Table Tennis, then as some of the other posters have suggested, I would leave the Carbon, ALC, ZLC blades alone and start with a good all wood blade.
You could then also try a couple of different ‘style’ rubbers - a tensor softish rubber such as Rakza 7, Tibhar Aurus Select, Gewo Proton Neo 375 and a Chinese style tacky rubber such as DHS H3, H3Neo. Friendship Battle 2 etc
Then you can try each rubber on FH and BH and see which you prefer, if you do go for a H3/H3Neo rubber try and get a sheet with a softer sponge, 37/38 degree versions (DHS sponges are now available in 37 to 41 degree hardness, although the 37/38 degree ones can be hard to chase down, but usually they can be found on Aliexpress)
***please note that there are generally 2 sponge hardness scales in use, so the Proton Neo 375 (37.5 degree sponge is softer than the DHS 37 degree version!!***

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Yeah I won't be getting anything like that for a while. I will check and try out my clubmates rackets and see what feels nice and recommendations :)

Pongnado If I buy rubbers I will buy a new blade as well :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
gone from Stigas official site.
in Europe.In Japan, where the rubber is/was made it´s still available, like some of the long pips they are selling out over here.https://stigasports.jp/product-category/ラバー-rubber/I understood it would be discontinued in Europe so Stiga could concentrate on the ESN-made DNA series (since there were quality issues with the made in Japan rubbers from Calibra Tour onwards that made Europe shy away from Stiga, at least in Germany I can say Stiga rubbers are dead in the water and I hear similar stories from other places), but they´d continue to sell in Asia.

But I could be wrong and the Mantras will vanish from the Japanese site soon as well.

Last edited: