Buying equipment in the UK

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Hi guys, new to the forum so apologies if this isn't allowed or addresses the wrong topic, or if this question has been asked before. I'm just wondering where in the UK people buy their equipment from? Online, or physical stores? The reason I ask is because I notice that prices for certain tt equipment in the UK are much higher than abroad, for example in Asia. Butterfly Sieger PK50 goes for around £44 from what I have seen, but in Asia it costs half that. Has anyone tried ordering from abroad, and if so did it save money? Or did import taxes balance it out? Any info would be much appreciated, and stay safe everyone.

I’m not in the UK, but I guess it’s not much different here. All physical stores here are gone so You basically have to go online. I personally don’t by anything from Asia specially China.
I would only buy from a reputable store in the union (EU). There are some in my country but I prefer tabletennis11 in Estonia. Search on google. They have weekly specials at good prices and if you 4 or more rubbers you get a good price also they ship with DHL and for free above a certain amount.

Cheers
L-zr

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Hi guys, new to the forum so apologies if this isn't allowed or addresses the wrong topic, or if this question has been asked before. I'm just wondering where in the UK people buy their equipment from? Online, or physical stores? The reason I ask is because I notice that prices for certain tt equipment in the UK are much higher than abroad, for example in Asia. Butterfly Sieger PK50 goes for around £44 from what I have seen, but in Asia it costs half that. Has anyone tried ordering from abroad, and if so did it save money? Or did import taxes balance it out? Any info would be much appreciated, and stay safe everyone.

It is true that after BREXIT, the UK set such conditions that we stopped selling to the UK.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
Read 1 reviews
There're plenty of reputable stores in Asia/China, selling genuine goods, at fairly competitive price-points.. However, when buying online, do factor in the shipping cost (Some online stores provide free shipping on orders above a certain amount) . If you're paying for shipping, then the final amount of the product may be as much as it is the UK itself.

says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Hi,

Mostly it’s all online shopping here.
Since Brexit things have ‘swapped’ around. Pre Brexit it was generally cheaper to buy from the EU. Now it’s cheaper or similar (under certain conditions) to buy from UK stores

Depending on how much you spend effects how much taxes you have to pay when living in UK and buying from EU/Asia etc

VAT at 20% is charged to start with on all goods entering the UK
I think that there’s a limit of £125 (which I think includes the 20% VAT) then Import tax kicks in at another 25% !!! There are also product types that have different tax bands, for example (not correct just to give an idea) Electrical 25%, Pharmaceutical 30% etc

So to buy a BTY Harimoto Innerforce Super ZLC from the BTY official EU store
it’s listed at €349.90 say €350
20% VAT = €70
sub total = €420
25% import tax = €105
total = €525 convert to Sterling = £448

Buying the same blade from Tees Sport, a UK retailer, it’s listed at £349.99.
So this blade is £100 more expensive if a UK resident buys from abroad!!!

What seems to happen a lot is that the UK prices mirror Euro prices.
So in real terms
£350 = €410
€350 = £299
So the blade is still £50 more expensive if you live in the UK, regardless!!!

Reactions: sens0r
Hi,

Mostly it’s all online shopping here.
Since Brexit things have ‘swapped’ around. Pre Brexit it was generally cheaper to buy from the EU. Now it’s cheaper or similar (under certain conditions) to buy from UK stores

Depending on how much you spend effects how much taxes you have to pay when living in UK and buying from EU/Asia etc

VAT at 20% is charged to start with on all goods entering the UK
I think that there’s a limit of £125 (which I think includes the 20% VAT) then Import tax kicks in at another 25% !!! There are also product types that have different tax bands, for example (not correct just to give an idea) Electrical 25%, Pharmaceutical 30% etc

So to buy a BTY Harimoto Innerforce Super ZLC from the BTY official EU store
it’s listed at €349.90 say €350
20% VAT = €70
sub total = €420
25% import tax = €105
total = €525 convert to Sterling = £448

Buying the same blade from Tees Sport, a UK retailer, it’s listed at £349.99.
So this blade is £100 more expensive if a UK resident buys from abroad!!!

What seems to happen a lot is that the UK prices mirror Euro prices.
So in real terms
£350 = €410
€350 = £299
So the blade is still £50 more expensive if you live in the UK, regardless!!!
Holy s••t, that’s outrageous. We (Sweden) have similar rules when buying from outside the union. That’s what you got from brexit...

Cheers
L-zr

JHB

says Aged and infirm of purpose
Physical stores don't exist in the UK unless you happen to live in the north-east of England or around Manchester, so it's all online for most of us. Most UK retailers - whatever goods they sell, not just TT equipment - will rip the piunter for every penny they can extract, and successive governments have done little or nothing to discourage this. Basically, we pay their prices or lump it - or wait for "Sale" time. Butterfly are ruinously expensive and have been for a good few years !

Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Holy s••t, that’s outrageous. We (Sweden) have similar rules when buying from outside the union. That’s what you got from brexit...

Cheers
L-zr

YEAH, before Brexit it was all soft fluffy clouds, sunshine and sweet smelling roses when UK residents bought from Europe. That Harimoto blade would have cost £299 if bought from BTY EU store and compared to £350 from Tees Sport, that’s was music to our ears!!!
Now we’re getting use to crappy weather and the pong of gone of poo !!! Well nothings changes really!!
some would say we Brits deserve some of our own medicine!!!😀😂​​​​​​​😡​​​​​​​

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
It’s better for our sportmen and sportwomen. They’ll buy rubbers and blades less and focus more on their techniques instead. 😎

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2014
There're plenty of reputable stores in Asia/China, selling genuine goods, at fairly competitive price-points.. However, when buying online, do factor in the shipping cost (Some online stores provide free shipping on orders above a certain amount) . If you're paying for shipping, then the final amount of the product may be as much as it is the UK itsel
There're plenty of reputable stores in Asia/China, selling genuine goods, at fairly competitive price-points.. However, when buying online, do factor in the shipping cost (Some online stores provide free shipping on orders above a certain amount) . If you're paying for shipping, then the final amount of the product may be as much as it is the UK itself.
Hi, do u think u could share some websites that ship overseas and seem trustable ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2023
Personally I have bought at https://www.prott.vip/ and the BEO Store on AliExpress https://de.aliexpress.com/store/4499032

The goods I bought (rubbers and Yinhe Blades) were legitimate. Shipping to Germany was about 15 days and I had to pay import tax upon delivery for ProTT. That last part might differ from country to country and in Germany is luck based. Shipments from BEO Store were not taxed updon delivery.

(I have bought various items from overseas in the last couple of years and as far as I can see it's random if the package is taxed upon entering the country.)

This user has no status.
Buying TT equipment in the UK is a pain.

Different websites have exclusive deals with suppliers, so you have to make a load of separate orders, each with a delivery charge.

Ideally need one website that stocks everything.

I usually use Teesport, although they did a poor job making up my latest bat, i had to re-tape it myself.