Best Rubbers for Advanced Beginner/Intermediate Player

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
I'm trying to decide which is best between Mark V vs Mark V HPS vs Rigan for both BH and FH rubber. I am past beginner level but do not have much experience with the new plastic ball.

The blade will be the Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive. Thanks in advance!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
The Mark V is an outdated table tennis meme. If you insist on the Mark V name the latest iterations like the HPS would be a better bet if you have any ambitions of being an offensive player. With the plastic ball, you'd be better served by a relatively modern ESN rubber like the Nittaku Fastarc G1.

Reactions: Spinsanity
I have to disagree. Mark V is one of the longest lasting rubbers on the market. Because it was invented a long time ago doesn’t make it automatically obsolete. On the contrary, it’s been around since the 60’s and that it’s still around means something.

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
If you know how popular the sport is in Asia, you’ll probably see why. There will be tons of 50-60 something casual players in all sort of clubs. And they’ve been around. Why would they have to change? Especially when Mark V is half the price of Fastarc G-1 and much more durable.

If you start afresh in the west, you’d be better off with more modern rubbers. If the top line is too quick, there is always a slower, cheaper, more beginner friendly line. Of course Mark V is still fine. But at some points, 1 - 2 years down the line, you’ll have to do the homework about rubbers again…

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
The Chinese rubbers don’t last so I think all facts counted Mark V is one of the best beginner rubbers there is. That won’t change anytime soon.

Cheers
L-zr

Your point is noted but do you think it is better than the HPS version or the Rigan with the new plastic ball? Also keep in mind that I do have some experience but not pro-level.

Last edited:
What is needed with the new balls is a bit more speed and a bit more grip. I would not recommend any of those, instead I recommend Rakza 7. It doesn’t last as long as Mark V but as long as any other European/Japanese rubber.

If you are a beginner you don’t want too much speed or grip. With too much speed you will probably hit the ball long a lot and too much grip will make it hard to control your opponents spin.

So if you are a beginner I’d wait with that blade and select a Sweden Extra instead. and regular Mark V rubber. By the time the Mark V is worn out (probably a year or so) You upgrade to Rakza 7. After this you know if you want a faster blade or not.

If you are an intermediate you could probably go for the blade you say, but remember it is fast.

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: Tango K and Tinykin
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
The Mark V is not half the price of Fastarc G1. It's $32 vs $43. What is the point of starting with Mark V for a year and switching only to learn bad habits like lifting long underspin balls instead of looping it back. Mark V is so soft and lacking in spin, trying to learn offensive moves with it in the age of plastic balls would be counter productive.

You have learn how to walk before you attempt to run...

On the contrary it’s easier to learn with equipment you can control. If kept missing all the you’re going to hold back loose confidence. It is much better to use a little to slow equipment then a little too fast...

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
You have learn how to walk before you attempt to run...

On the contrary it’s easier to learn with equipment you can control. If kept missing all the you’re going to hold back loose confidence. It is much better to use a little to slow equipment then a little too fast...

Cheers
L-zr

I agree with this. I started looping first on the forehand side having Mark V on. It was just easier with it to learn all the intuitions and the mechanics. Until recently I only loop backspin balls on the backhand side when I'm in training or really up in the score in real matches. Top and no spin balls I have to pivot for those. This is started to change after I decided to make a similar move on my backhand by putting a Mark V. Surprisingly, my backhand is getting better (I'm also working on it, not that Mark V will magically change it).

Reactions: Lazer

mat

This user has no status.

mat

This user has no status.
Apr 2019
Hi,definetly take yasaka sweden classic blade.Rubbers:For level of beginer take Niitaku factive which is about same speed as yasaka mark V but its better becauee its for new plastic ball.For intermediate level just take a bit faster but great rubber Andro Hexer Grip SFX.Regards