Blade lacquering problem

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
Hello guys I lacquered my blade with xiom I-sure and the top ply became shiny but rubbers wont stick to the blade properly or they will get peeled of very easy even one week after gluing no matter how much layers I put the rubbers start peeling on the edges even without me making contact with the table so my question is if I sand the blade with something like grid 400 will I ruin the blade or its no problem and has any one else had any lacquering issues before I probably wont lacquer my blade ever again.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
only safe to sand the blade if you know what you are doing.
In order to keep the blade surface completely flat , especially at the edges, you need to sand with a perfectly flat sanding block making sure
you avoid rounding of the edges.

When applying lacquer I use water-based polyurethane. I use a lint-free slightly damp cloth and gently rub a very small amount onto the blade surfaces.
Just enough to seal the surface, not to actually apply a visible layer. That works for me. Spraying lacquers or brushing on layers of the stuff did not work.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
only safe to sand the blade if you know what you are doing.
In order to keep the blade surface completely flat , especially at the edges, you need to sand with a perfectly flat sanding block making sure
you avoid rounding of the edges.

When applying lacquer I use water-based polyurethane. I use a lint-free slightly damp cloth and gently rub a very small amount onto the blade surfaces.
Just enough to seal the surface, not to actually apply a visible layer. That works for me. Spraying lacquers or brushing on layers of the stuff did not work.
Yeah man I directly brushed it on top and now it has a visible layer I will probably buy next time hard outer ply blade so I don’t need to seal it tbh I really didn’t need to seal that blade too it was peeling a little but after rubber re gluing but nothing major I will probably risk and sand it cuz it either works or its unplayable like that also.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
You can sand but follow the good advice that was given in comments above. Next time don't use polyurethane. If you need to seal a blade there's an excellent product from Revolution. But there's another trick you can use too. See if you can find some hairspray, the oldfashioned kind that dries into a very hard surface, the kind that old ladies used to use, and still used by actors for example and TV presenters. It's not so easy to find that stuff anymore because most people don't like to glue their hair into one position. But if you can find it, it makes an excellent sealant that protects your blade while still allowing your rubbers to stick. You just spray some on, wait a couple minutes for it to dry, and then you can glue on your rubber.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Yeah man I directly brushed it on top and now it has a visible layer I will probably buy next time hard outer ply blade so I don’t need to seal it tbh I really didn’t need to seal that blade too it was peeling a little but after rubber re gluing but nothing major I will probably risk and sand it cuz it either works or its unplayable like that also.

https://youtu.be/In-oAl8fSy4?t=154 DO NOT do it like this !!!!!!!😬

If you manage to sand the gloss off the existing layer of varnish, you can make a test glue using a off-cut or an old rubber and see if it now sticks well.
If you think you need to re-varnish, the media you choose becomes a personal preference.😁