• Legal

Votes: 21 45.7%
  • Illegal

Votes: 25 54.3%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
the reason I said "clearly definite rules" is because funnily enough the rule states you should throw the ball almost straight so somebody can potentially argue , it you throw it up absolutely straight ... its illegal :D ... LOL

Haha true. You can't tell people that they should toss straight up though. Or that the ball should be like max 5 cm away from going straight up, it would be even worse to measure that. If there are no rules, people will hide their serves and gain an illegal advantage. Rules protecting against this however are very hard to check on during the match, because it all goes just too fast and the umpires have a bad angle of view. So this is merely the responsibility of the players, to not get any unfair advantage out of their serves. I don't think it is possible to create watertight rules about this that can be used effectively. But if you just check the difference between serves 10 years ago and serves now, at least you can conclude that big part of the unfair advantages people gained back then are gone now. However you can't rule out everything I'm afraid.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2012
DaveCochrane, I'd say it's not good enough, or the umpires aren't reading it. It's extremely common with tremendously illegal serves not being called up at all, over and over.

This user has no status.
Serve rule is big issue in table tennis. In Wang Hao's case, I think Baum can see how Hao's racket contacts the ball, but not clearly, and it makes Baum confused and he makes mistakes in returning the serves.
I think they should not make players lose their points for making illegal serves. Warning is better, 2 times of warning then lose point.

This user has no status.
I've noticed Wang hao's serve for quite sometime now. Not so much the issue of throwing into his body, but concealing the serve with his body. If Baum or any other player find it difficult to see the serve, why didn't they make the matter known to the umpire?

And as Lebesson case, though the ball may travelled high enough, but he only released the ball between his chest and shoulders height. The ball travelled a few inches above his hand, before dropping lower than the released point, where it made contact with his racket.

There should be handbook/video by ITTF to everyone showing what's legal and what's not, and settle the matter once in for all.
I think What Azlan said about lebsonn's serve was right.

TME

This user has no status.

TME

This user has no status.
Jan 2012
On Lebsonn's serve he is using his flat(ish) palm to roll the ball out of his hand as well which is putting spin on it.

says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews
Well, as long as the umpires says nothing, it is up to the players to shout out if the service is illegal by the rules of the ITTF. And if the players don't, all we can say is that it's legal or that the players doesn't care. If they don't care, does it really matter to have such rules?

This user has no status.
The camera is way up high. I am betting his body is above the ball but you can see it from the front. If that weren't the case, at least I'd complain to the umpire. You'd be stupid not to complain if you don't want to lose the match because of those, it's your right.

The interesting part is whether the ball is visible from the netpost on the right side during the moment of impact on the racket. That's where the money is at. My guess is that it just barely is.

Also the ball toss is not vertical enough in my opinion, but that is somewhat subject to interpretation.

People used to complain about Wang Liqin's serves, although they are perfectly fine imo. You can hide your racket all you want until the moment of ball impact. In Gerell's case against Dan, those were obviously fishy.
Here, there's not enough evidence to call it illegal, although enough doubt to ask Hao to pay attention, to produce a clean serve that leaves none.

This user has no status.
Serve rule is big issue in table tennis. In Wang Hao's case, I think Baum can see how Hao's racket contacts the ball, but not clearly, and it makes Baum confused and he makes mistakes in returning the serves.
I think they should not make players lose their points for making illegal serves. Warning is better, 2 times of warning then lose point.
at least make them re-take too and call a let or else people will deliberately serve wrong on a cruitial point only netting a warning.
also
left handed players are often on the end of "legal" illigal serves, i notice it at amature even from players who are against illigal serving, this is because i have a far smaller view around their bodies and throwing it into your body which would be perfectly fine against a player on the opposite side can make the serve completely invisible when standing down the line.

Reactions: sanavasaraja