What are all the factory-tuned Chinese rubbers?

The definition of a boosted rubber contains that the sponge is expanded. If that is the case the rubber has to be curved at least to a certain extent.

That is not the case for any of the Hurricane versions.

Besides that, what is the point of the debate if it is factory tuned or not. Everything happening in the making of a rubber is legal. Otherwise the rubber would be delisted and wouldnt get the ittf symbol.
So why even bother about that topic?

And where did you get this definition? So if a rubber has a booster application by the factory and it does not curve, it is not boosted?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
Well. But those machinery oils are full of VOCs. They certainly work better than VOC-free. But then we’re coming back to the 90s.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2020
Read 1 reviews

And where did you get this definition? So if a rubber has a booster application by the factory and it does not curve, it is not boosted?

So where is the rubber that has this "booster" application?
The definition comes from the booster you use itself, because it is exactly what it does, which gives you the more bouncier effect.

What many people confound (i guess that is the right word^^) is the "factory tuned" status of a rubber and the boosting process. The problem here is (the main reason why i wrote that it is useless to discuss or think about it) this happens in the making of a rubber. A process which is usually not published in a detailed way or at all. So the changes to recreate this process propperly are kinda nonexistent.

Sadly there is not much information out there of which i could tell on how to differentiate between the boosting process (usually selfmade with an oil of your choice) and the factory tuning componies are mentioning.

One source for it might be this interview: https://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=35876
There are several sources to this or at least similar interviews, but there is kinda no possible way to know if the interviews people really belong to DHS (in this case) or not.

This interview should explain what Zwill mentioned too. Though i am not certain if this should happen at all, because i tried to get rid of this layer with 2 rubbers in the past and besides damaging the rubber at least slightly in the process it just curved a little bit, but in the complete other direction than it would if i boost that same rubber (which i did afterwards^^).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018

So where is the rubber that has this "booster" application?

Most high-end ESN rubbers, your Rasanters, Evolutions, Ryzers, Bluestorms, Rakzas... They all have factory boost and when you get them out of the package they are flat as a pancake. You glue them on your racket use them happily until you take them off 2 or 3 months later because the booster is gone and they perform mediocore. When you try to glue them back on your racket you realize they are smaller than your blade face by 1-2 centimeters in every direction. They do not have any kind of dome, no dome when new and no reverse dome when old, they just get smaller.

If you care to measure the weight new I bet it will be 3-4-5g heavier than months later. I'm sure it's not the rubber or the sponge that evaporates.

Of course, if you apply booster on them again they will regain their original size and then they will dome.
I'm sure ESN has some special chemical and maybe some other process too to achieve this but they would be stupid to disclose it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
H3 Neo is boosted.
I've had a friend of mine telling me that. That's the fish smell of them when they come out of the package. That's also why they are vacuum sealed in their package. This way, the booster doesn't evaporate between factory and paddle assembly.

fish smell is the smell of rubber not booster smell.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
We probably should boycott ALL illegal boosted rubbers so manufacturers learn a lesson. There should be an independent committee from ITTF to test all the commercial rubbers and let us know which ones are illegally boosted. We probably can't do anything with individual boosting but the 1st frontline should come from ITTF.

• Haha
Reactions: lodro
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
We probably should boycott ALL illegal boosted rubbers so manufacturers learn a lesson. There should be an independent committee from ITTF to test all the commercial rubbers and let us know which ones are illegally boosted. We probably can't do anything with individual boosting but the 1st frontline should come from ITTF.

I would prefer to go the other way : ITTF should simply wash their hands of "controlling " the rubber manufacturing process. The ITTF stamp on the rubbers is just a sales-gimmick anyway 😁

says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews

It does come from the ITTF, they check the rubbers at the tournaments, there is a line drawn in the sand. So whether ‘factory’ boosted, or ‘player’ boosted, they are checked. If the VOC emissions are under the ‘legal’ limit the rubber is allowed to be used.

ITTF has an equipment committee , they examine and have tests done on balls, tables (surfaces) rubbers etc. they advised on ball size changes, VOC testing etc. The Chairperson has past links to ESN, she worked for ESN for many years, no surprise factory boosting is tolerated!!!

Reactions: tropical
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews

I would prefer to go the other way : ITTF should simply wash their hands of "controlling " the rubber manufacturing process. The ITTF stamp on the rubbers is just a sales-gimmick anyway 😁

My concern is more on human safety than politics. There are 2 people I've know got the same cancer and the suspect was from VOC substance as they boosted their rubbers every time before they played. It is hard to pinpoint exactly where /how the cancer came from but at least we know VOC is likely the culprit.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020

My concern is more on human safety than politics. There are 2 people I've know got the same cancer and the suspect was from VOC substance as they boosted their rubbers every time before they played. It is hard to pinpoint exactly where /how the cancer came from but at least we know VOC is likely the culprit.

I think 2 people out of thousands..................................I would call this "inconclusive"
Anyway, I was under the impression that the VOC -speed glue times were long gone
and when we are talking about boosting now , it is boosting with VOC-free means.
Am i wrong ??

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews

I think 2 people out of thousands..................................I would call this "inconclusive"
Anyway, I was under the impression that the VOC -speed glue times were long gone
and when we are talking about boosting now , it is boosting with VOC-free means.
Am i wrong ??

2 persons I personally know then it is not 2 out of thousands. It may be inconclusive but VOC can cause cancer is a fact. How do you know the booster we are talking about is VOC free? Did ITTF test it?

Last edited:
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020

2 persons I personally know then it is not 2 out of thousands. It may be inconclusive but VOC can cause cancer is a fact. How do you know the booster we are talking about is VOC free? Did ITTF test it?

YES ! VOC is measurable. There are some shops that may still supply VOC-speed glue but most boosters
are advertised as VOC-free.
Boosters that are voc-free hardly smell at all and no matter how long i sniff them - they will not make me smile.
Old-style speed-glue make you smile......................before you fall over.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018

To be fair I never saw an ITTF logo on any booster and I don't think they will start to approve them all of a sudden, but some are totally tested on international tournaments since many players use them and rarely do you hear that rackets are being failed during this testing.
For sure old speedglue was bad for health and in worst case can cause cancer, best case some illumination... No wonder painters have to wear protective mask.
However these new VOC free boosters should be very safe. As far as I know ITTF approves the rubber topsheet and not the sponge, and you are not allowed to chemically treat the topsheet. The sponge should be OK as long as it is within the rules.

Sure hope using non-ITTF logoed rubber cleaners is not considered illegal treatment of the topsheet.