Concern about down the line forehand

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
I can hit crosscourt and down the line backhand. But, I can't regularly hit a down the line forehand. How to improve this?

The foot on the racket side behind the the other foot forming an angle ~45 degrees with the edge of the board. The exact angle is not super important but You should always strive to hit ball with the "rockett foot" behind the other foot.

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
Hit the ball in your right front, it tends to be cross-court.
Hit the ball in your right side, it tends to be down the line.

When swinging the forearm quickly to left-hand side, it tends to be cross-court.
Trying to send the arm to the front when swinging the forearm, it tends to be down the line.

If you really have any difficulty on this part, when you are looping down the line, your left leg makes a step ahead at the same time.

Reactions: Gozo Aruna
says Rozena! You complete me.
Mar 2021
I can hit crosscourt and down the line backhand. But, I can't regularly hit a down the line forehand. How to improve this?

I am saying this from the perspective of a Right Handed Shakehand player. Leftie & Penholder, you go figure it yourself.

For cross-court, you stand facing rather square or less than 45 degrees towards the table. Your swing is natural towards the direction of cross-court.

For down the line you stance is 45 degrees or more in regards to the table.

Assuming the angle stays the same, if you are standing towards the FH side, then your ball trajectory will be down the line towards the FH side.

Similarly if you maintain your angle, your ball trajectory will be down the line towards the BH side if you are position at the BH side of the table.

My point is; fix your angle and move your legs to determine which side you wish to play down the line. In another word, you have to move your legs which I cannot reinforce enough and is the upmost importance to make a quality return. If you are out of position and you try to do funny things with you wrist or over rotate or over extend your arm to connect with the ball, you return will go haywire and go anywhere but the position you desire.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Tango K and JeffM
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
GOZO and whoever else gave the suggestion of moving the right foot (presumably to get the body and hips squared towards the down the line angle) are barking up the right tree.

That WILL get you in a position to make the play with the same power and consistency as the cross court shot.

The suggestion(s) to hit WAY deeper in zone or open wrist some more are just not very consistent or powerful when attempting the shot at 70-80 percent plus of your power, which is what many are striving to do.

I SUGGEST... that you PIVOT on your ANKLES with the same stance (and dip your hip some) to ROTATE the center of the effective strike zone more to the rear... then strike the ball as it enters the midle of strike zone and explode through the ball.

This allows you to hit with FULL POWER and CONTROL. Plus... THEY DO NOT SEE IT COMING.

You are at least 4-5 meters away from opponent... and opponent is likely not watching your feet, but watching your arm and bat... so they do not see you setting up to go down the line. The MIGHT see you setting up this possibility, but IF they try to make a move to cover the BH corner, all you need to do is PULL your free arm towards you (like you are pulling a cord to start a small engine) and that rotates your upper body/shoulders back to cross court angle. Doing this even gives you another 10% of power and spin with the extra shoulder rotation going into the shot.

Korean ex-pro Kim Jung Hoon explained these two in a one-point lesson he filmed with an amateur many years ago when he was sponsored by Stiga and in some vids where he is sponsored by Tibhar. I have not gone throul ALL his vids with Joola, he might have discussed it there too.

Once you get the feel of how to pivot on your ankles without moving the feet position and get the feel of how to go down with the hip a little, you will discover that you can hit full power without missing much. Opponent will always wonder what happened. I train a Pastor 1-2x a week and in open play portion at distance, I throw this in... he KNOWS that I CAN and SOMETIMES WILL go down the line in the manner I described, but EVERY DAMN TIME he is surprised when I go there... which is nearly always at power loop speed. He has very little time and is preparing and going the wrong way.

This is one of his first Joola vids and he touches on it in a few places - the concepts of how to backswing and hit ball in the middle of zone without wild backswing or wild long follow through.

https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/fo...oon-covers-basic-FH-stroke-fundamentals-Intro

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Who has time for foot work when bashing balls close to the table? I twist my body as vvk1 suggested and then untwist or spring back for the extra speed.

Hitting down the line is one of my favorite shots. It seems I can often catch my opponent moving the wrong direction.

Who has time for foot work when bashing balls close to the table? I twist my body as vvk1 suggested and then untwist or spring back for the extra speed.

Hitting down the line is one of my favorite shots. It seems I can often catch my opponent moving the wrong direction.

Footwork close to the table is generally the same as at longer distance.
The difference is in the amplitude, energy and temp.

Attacking deep on the line depends on many factors, so there is no general answer.

A player should find what is the best way for the different scenarios.

For me the most effective way is taking the ball on lower descending at mid distance and attack it with sharp, but strong top spin with long and relatively flat trajectory. The ball looks like it has no, or little spin, but sinks deep and fast, and the opponent, even if able to react, miss the ball with a blade moving far above.

Reactions: Gozo Aruna
Mar 2021
For me the most effective way is taking the ball on lower descending at mid distance and attack it with sharp, but strong top spin with long and relatively flat trajectory. The ball looks like it has no, or little spin, but sinks deep and fast, and the opponent, even if able to react, miss the ball with a blade moving far above.
I have encountered these type of topspin before as you described. Yes, it looks like a no spin ball and boy it is darn deceptive. Got caught by these many times as these type of return, the recipient can very easily misjudge the distance and bounce.