New rubbers

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Afternoon

In the past I have only ever used Sriver L and Mark V.

Am looking for something still quite quick/fast whilst retaining the element of control and spin
Can anyone recommend something that would go well with an Allround + or Off-?

Also, just curious, between 1.8 max etc, what is the main difference in performance of the different thicknesses please?

Think in the past Ive only ever used 1.8mm

Kind regards

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
Nittaku Fastarc G-1 is the new "Mark V". The thicker it is, the higher the maximum potential spin and speed but it will be heavier.

Reactions: SamTheMan
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Afternoon

In the past I have only ever used Sriver L and Mark V.

Am looking for something still quite quick/fast whilst retaining the element of control and spin
Can anyone recommend something that would go well with an Allround + or Off-?

Also, just curious, between 1.8 max etc, what is the main difference in performance of the different thicknesses please?

Think in the past Ive only ever used 1.8mm

Kind regards

Hi,

Any footage of you playing? Gives us a much better idea of your style, ability, level etc
then easier to recommend rubbers that are better suited to you.
Cheers

Reactions: Attitude
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2020
Read 1 reviews

I have a trainingpartner with an Allround+ racket. I recommended Xiom Vega Pro to him and he improved his backhand a lot. I would maybe go for a smth around 2.0 instead of max like in his case. Dunno why, but he wanted max. Imo this rubber is too fast this way. Beside his topspins and flicks got way better and more dangerous his pushes are really off more often.
Depending on your budget maybe smth like DHS Hurricane 8-80 is even better, because you have way more controll in the short game but still enough spin and tempo for your attacks.

For the FH like usually it depends even more on your technique and types of rubbers you wanna use, but if you played with sriver you should be fine with one of the Rasanter rubbers or the Tibhar Evolution series.

But again, without seeing you play it is quite hard to judge or give you a more detailed advise on what to play.

Reactions: IB66
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021

Hi,

Any footage of you playing? Gives us a much better idea of your style, ability, level etc
then easier to recommend rubbers that are better suited to you.
Cheers

Hi Ib66

Unfortunately no video............I started playing at the age of 11............became level 2 coach and also played in North Middx League and also Cheshunt League for some years. Never played in the top teams ie Premier or Div 1 but like to play close to the table and also get on the front foot whenever possible. Love to attack on my backhan as I can play a strong backhand as well as a backhand fade to the fh corner when my opponent is away from the table.

Bear in mind I don't play competitively at the moment but may look to join my local club again.

I am a teacher so run clubs at school and also teach table tennis as probably my main sport. Have over 30 yrs of experience so am not going to be jumping round the table too much but like to play a mix of touch shots around the net and then get on the attack with either a bh or fh topspin.

I could try and get some video from work but isn't really anyone there who can keep a rally going for that long. Hope that helps. If I can get some video evidence next week at school I'll try.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
Read 1 reviews
okay .. so, you're not an absolute beginner.. At your best, you were probably an intermediate-advance player.. You probably already have the technique, but I'm guessing you're just out of touch (??), which'll come back, with some regular practice .. I think, you'd be fine with most of the newer Euro/Jap style fast rubbers, even the tensioned ones .. However, if you want to start-off somewhere in the middle of speed/spin ladder, and then progressively move-up, then, I feel, Yazaka Rakza 7 would be a good one to start with.

+1 for Fastarc G-1, and even Vega Pro

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
Read 1 reviews
okay .. so, you're not an absolute beginner.. At your best, you were probably an intermediate-advance player.. You probably already have the technique, but I'm guessing you're just out of touch (??), which'll come back, with some regular practice .. I think, you'd be fine with most of the newer Euro/Jap style fast rubbers, even the tensioned ones .. However, if you want to start-off somewhere in the middle of speed/spin ladder, and then progressively move-up, then, I feel, Yazaka Rakza 7 would be a good one to start with.

+1 for Fastarc G-1, and even Vega Pro, as options

Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews

Hi Ib66

Unfortunately no video............I started playing at the age of 11............became level 2 coach and also played in North Middx League and also Cheshunt League for some years. Never played in the top teams ie Premier or Div 1 but like to play close to the table and also get on the front foot whenever possible. Love to attack on my backhan as I can play a strong backhand as well as a backhand fade to the fh corner when my opponent is away from the table.

Bear in mind I don't play competitively at the moment but may look to join my local club again.

I am a teacher so run clubs at school and also teach table tennis as probably my main sport. Have over 30 yrs of experience so am not going to be jumping round the table too much but like to play a mix of touch shots around the net and then get on the attack with either a bh or fh topspin.

I could try and get some video from work but isn't really anyone there who can keep a rally going for that long. Hope that helps. If I can get some video evidence next week at school I'll try.

Hi,

From what you’ve written above, you should be pretty technically sound!! I’m just about 1/2 way through my Level 1 Coaching course, so you’re one step more advanced on that score!!
I’m from around the same area as you as well, Hertford and District League, there’s a couple of clubs from Cheshunt that play in that league. (Cheshunt and Grundy Park)

Looks like your blade is fine, especially if it’s all wood and the All+/Off- rating is, as far as I’m concerned a good speed for sticking some modern rubbers on it !!

To start with, I would stick with the slightly thinner sponge thicknesses. 1.9 to 2.1mm nowadays a lot of manufacturers use Max then 2.1 etc so stick to the sponge thickness just below what the Max thickness is, if they don’t use Max as the description, then one below the thickest sponge listed.

I’ll list the general inverted rubber categories below and how that can effect your choice of sponge thickness.

ESN Tensor, Grippy top sheets (BTY rubbers with spring sponge), these are the bouncy sponge types!! So sponge thickness as above, one grade below max thickness listed. 1.8 - 2.1 mm.

Hybrid (Charcateristic) a combination of a Tacky / Sticky top sheet and a harder tensor type springy sponge. This type of rubber I feel you would be ok to use max sponge thickness, as the tackiness reduces the bouncy effect.

Tacky, hard sponge Chinese style rubbers, often described as ‘dead’, low bounce, Max sponge would be no problem at all !! DHS usually list at 2.15mm and 2.2, (the 2.15 thickness allows for boosting and thicker gluing)

Bear in mind that there’s nothing wrong with using a ESN Tensor bouncy sponge in Max thickness, it’s going to feel very lively, short game can be harder to control, but easy play mid/away from the table.

Theres loads of rubber out there, some considered better, but within each group they are all pretty similar, yes there are slight differences, some are faster, harder, softer etc etc

As you don’t appear to have used any Tacky Chinese type rubbers, H3, H3Neo, Friendship Battle 2 Yinhe rubbers etc then perhaps stay away from them.

Hybrid type rubbers could be an option-
Rakza Z with max or 2.0mm sponge, maybe 2.0mm
Donic Bluegrip, V1 or C2

Tensor ESN/ spring sponges
Rakza 7, BTY Rozena. Xiom Vega Euro 2.0mm, Tibhar FXS 1.9mm, to be honest there’s lots to choose from, I’m sure other posters will give some good choices!!!

Personally I seem to like the tacky hybrid types!!!

Nittaku Fastarc G-1 is the new "Mark V". The thicker it is, the higher the maximum potential spin and speed but it will be heavier.

For most modern rubbers thicker really means "potentially better spin', but its not always true about Speed.
Besides that the correlation depends a lot on rubber hardness, blade characteristics, and the synergy dynamics between them.
Add to that the personal player's profile.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Thanks very much guys, lots of great info there and also plenty for me to think about. Yes, my technique is pretty sound, and have always gone for the same rubber on both sides.

Question is, as I tend to favour my backhand more would it be worth me considering a slightly faster/rubber with more spin on my backhand? Just a thought as like I say I've always had the same rubber on both red and black.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
A lot of players use faster rubbers on backhand even-though they are forehand dominant. It’s because backhand swing is shorter (you can generate less power) but more precise (the ball is in front of you, it easier to be quick)

Reactions: reddwarf99
A lot of players use faster rubbers on backhand even-though they are forehand dominant. It’s because backhand swing is shorter (you can generate less power) but more precise (the ball is in front of you, it easier to be quick)

I will use this post just to answer to the OP post above.

A lot of players do use SOfter rubbers on the BH.
Softer rubbers do have more catapult with softer hits, and they are faster over and near the table, especially with weaker hits, compared to harder rubbers at the same situation.
But generally the harder rubbers provide more max speed with stronger hits.
The reason to choose a more springy, softer rubber, on the BH, is that the BH is limited in the motion amplitude, compared to the FH.
At the same time different players have different acceleration of the BH and FH stroke, combined with different level of control on these strokes.
So for some players a softer BH is good, for some just the opposite, some, like me, still prefer same rubbers both sides.
Its all up to you, you have to try, don't follow ready answers.