Who has the best backhand in tabletennis?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2021
Thanks everyone for replies so far, some fine looking backhand strokes in this thread.
Since you’ve also received some answers about the more powerful and modern backhands, I’d also like to nominate Timo Boll.

His backhand is very controlled and appears to have very high spin. Timo Boll was one of the first two winged loopers I believe, his backhand is basically identical to his forehand and he can do side spin-topspin with it: it’s a thing of beauty in my opinion. Like Federer in Tennis — beautiful, if not quite the best.

Agree with this. Especially those shots where he gets a load of sidespin on them, they're beautiful to watch. Generally I really like the look of the spinnier and longer strokes

I'd also never heard of that Benedikt Olah guy before that was mentioned above: that BH of his is an absolute cannon. It's amazing how the players manage to keep some of these super powerful BH strokes (a la Olah, Kreanga, Jorgic) controlled. It looks like just angrily lashing out at the ball sometimes.

Last edited:
Reactions: NextLevel
says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
Aug 2013
Read 3 reviews
It’s a backhand discussion and nobody mentions Aleksander Karakasevic? How is this even possible.
Kara is past his prime but his ball control and variation on his strokes especially his backhand is second to none.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mat

This user has no status.

mat

This user has no status.
Apr 2019
I would say Darko Jorgic but also there others to...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Looking for peoples opinions here. Partially due to me currently trying to improve my backhand topspin stroke and looking for inspiration.

This discussion is very much enjoyable but I highly encourage modeling your BH stroke based on your physical capabilities. If you learn too use too long of a stroke, you mind end up out of breath every 3 cannons or destabilized.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2021

This discussion is very much enjoyable but I highly encourage modeling your BH stroke based on your physical capabilities. If you learn too use too long of a stroke, you mind end up out of breath every 3 cannons or destabilized.

Thanks Kuba. Right now I'm in pretty decent shape so I'm ambitious/delusional enough to be eyeing up the pretty (Ma) long strokes 😁

Reactions: latej