1st time paddle assembly

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Hello all,

So I have recently received my table tennis equipment (2 rubbers, blade, glue and sponges) and I am planning to build my bat this evening or tomorrow morning. I'd like to know if any of you have advice as to what mistakes not to do, how much time it takes on average, and if I need to buy edge tape (and if so, which thickness, knowing that my setup is h301, tsp ventus spin, fastarc g1) ? Should the edge tape cover only the blade's thickness, or also a bit of the sponge on the sides (if I should be able to see it), and if you have any tutorial videos that you think are the best at showing how to do it.
Also, can I use a cooking rolling pin when I'll stick the rubber on the blade ?

Thanks in advance

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Also I'm thinking of applying like 1 layer of glue on the blade, but 2 on the rubbers, would that be appropriate ? And how much time for the drying between each part ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Ok, thanks for the advice !
So how thick should the edge tape be ? Iirc my paddle is 5.8mm thick, and my rubbers idk I think the sponges are max (2.2-2.3) and 2.0
Or does it only have to cover a part of the edges of the rubbers ?

CLV

This user has no status.

CLV

This user has no status.
Sep 2020
I only use edgetape on the part that can hit the table. Coz i don´t like the sponsored look with the brands in the edge.

I use special rubber cuttings sissors i got from table tennis 11 and also a scalpel.

Just make sure you have the patience to let the glue dry. I don´t use a blowdryers like some people.

I use a sponge a spread the glue in one direction. I do it vertically on both the blade and rubber. I only use one layer of glue but i know people who use 2 layers on the rubbers ...

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I like not having edge tape. I used to like having edge tape. But, these days, I like not using it better.

It is a choice. I don't think it protects anything. It adds a small amount of weight to the head of your blade. I don't care about that. But, if the rubbers do lift up, or the edge of the wood does get damaged, it stops you from seeing it. I don't feel like I have a need for it. But that is just how I feel. You can choose to use or not use edge tape as you like.

I used to use my forearm for pressing the rubber on. I try not to roll out though because it stretches the rubber. I try to press into the rubber. So, I press down with my forearm as I sequentially let the rubber lower onto the blade face so that I don't create air pockets under the rubber.

Hope it goes well for you. As you get experience gluing rubbers on, you get to know, over time, how you like to do things. I developed how I put my rubbers on over years and with a period where I would help them glue and cut rubbers at a club that no longer exists.