This user has no status.

TTD Member 10 0

User Info Menu

Aug 2021
    Former Soviet Union
    Read 0 Reviews

1st time paddle assembly

Hello all,

So I have recently received my table tennis equipment (2 rubbers, blade, glue and sponges) and I am planning to build my bat this evening or tomorrow morning. I'd like to know if any of you have advice as to what mistakes not to do, how much time it takes on average, and if I need to buy edge tape (and if so, which thickness, knowing that my setup is h301, tsp ventus spin, fastarc g1) ? Should the edge tape cover only the blade's thickness, or also a bit of the sponge on the sides (if I should be able to see it), and if you have any tutorial videos that you think are the best at showing how to do it.
    Also, can I use a cooking rolling pin when I'll stick the rubber on the blade ?

Thanks in advance

This user has no status.

TTD Member 0 10
    A
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 10 0

User Info Menu

Aug 2021
    Former Soviet Union
    Read 0 Reviews
    Also I'm thinking of applying like 1 layer of glue on the blade, but 2 on the rubbers, would that be appropriate ? And how much time for the drying between each part ?

This user has no status.

TTD Member 10 69
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 69 10
    One of the main points of edge tape is to keep the edges of the rubbers from lifting up, so make sure it covers up the edge of the rubbers. You do not need edge tape but it is recommended.
    There are countless excellent youtube tutorials on this, Timo Boll has quite a good one on his youtube channel.

This user has no status.

TTD Member 0 10
    A
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 10 0

User Info Menu

Aug 2021
    Former Soviet Union
    Read 0 Reviews
    Ok, thanks for the advice !
    So how thick should the edge tape be ? Iirc my paddle is 5.8mm thick, and my rubbers idk I think the sponges are max (2.2-2.3) and 2.0
    Or does it only have to cover a part of the edges of the rubbers ?

This user has no status.

TTD Member 13 84
    C
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 84 13
    I only use edgetape on the part that can hit the table. Coz i don´t like the sponsored look with the brands in the edge.

I use special rubber cuttings sissors i got from table tennis 11 and also a scalpel.

Just make sure you have the patience to let the glue dry. I don´t use a blowdryers like some people.

I use a sponge a spread the glue in one direction. I do it vertically on both the blade and rubber. I only use one layer of glue but i know people who use 2 layers on the rubbers ...

says I like to hit Heavy Topspin

Super Moderator 15,992 14,476

Super Moderator 14,476 15,992
    I like not having edge tape. I used to like having edge tape. But, these days, I like not using it better.

It is a choice. I don't think it protects anything. It adds a small amount of weight to the head of your blade. I don't care about that. But, if the rubbers do lift up, or the edge of the wood does get damaged, it stops you from seeing it. I don't feel like I have a need for it. But that is just how I feel. You can choose to use or not use edge tape as you like.

I used to use my forearm for pressing the rubber on. I try not to roll out though because it stretches the rubber. I try to press into the rubber. So, I press down with my forearm as I sequentially let the rubber lower onto the blade face so that I don't create air pockets under the rubber.

Hope it goes well for you. As you get experience gluing rubbers on, you get to know, over time, how you like to do things. I developed how I put my rubbers on over years and with a period where I would help them glue and cut rubbers at a club that no longer exists.
    Setup 1: Blade by Nate: Vortex Spin Machine, FH Evolution MX-K, BH Evolution FX-P
    Setup 2: OSP Virtuoso Plus, FH Rasanter R 48, BH Rasanter R 48
    Spin is Everything

Super Moderator 15,992 14,476

Super Moderator 14,476 15,992
    Tell us how putting the racket together went. Maybe post a photo of the assembled racket.
    Setup 1: Blade by Nate: Vortex Spin Machine, FH Evolution MX-K, BH Evolution FX-P
    Setup 2: OSP Virtuoso Plus, FH Rasanter R 48, BH Rasanter R 48
    Spin is Everything

says May the Spin be with you!

Established TTD Member 94 183
    says May the Spin be with you!

Established TTD Member 183 94

Enjoy!