Returning player asking for bat advice

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2021
Hi Everyone,

I've recently started playing again having not picked up a bat for around 15 years. I played at a high level as a youngster, competing at nationals and regional events.
I now have a garage for a table and an Ipong v300 which I'm having lots of fun with and i've joined the local club.

However, i'm completely out of the loop when it comes to new equipment.
I've dug out my old bats which are:
Yasaka Gatien Extra - Palio Cj800 front and back
TSP Balsa 8.5 (The massive one) - No rubbers on it at the moment. I had periods using both these bats, probably the Gatien more so. Very different from each other.

I seem to remember starting to experiment with chinese rubbers towards the end of my playing. So the rubbers on these bat's probably don't give much reflection on what I used to play and the type of player I was.
I was predominately attacking, but did like to come back from the table and defend on occasion too.

So i'm after some help on new rubbers and possibly a blade please. Are these blades still any good?

Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2021
I'm guessing my first post was too long so i've cut it down.

TL:DR: - Blade and rubber advise needed for an attack/allrounder please.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
If you don't mind using a classic, take the rubbers off the Gatien Extra. Do it gently and carefully. Rubbers glued on for 15 years can be really hard to take off. Use mineral spirits as solvent to get the glue to let go if it is hard to get the rubber off.

Then, any modern rubbers you want should be fine.

Rasanter R48 and R43 may be an idea. They are wildly spinny.

For easier to control Rakza 7, Rakza 7 Soft, Vega Pro, Vega Europe.

Whatever you do, don't get rid of the Gatien Extra. That is an awesome blade and a collector's item. :)

Reactions: Tipiak
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2021
If you don't mind using a classic, take the rubbers off the Gatien Extra. Do it gently and carefully. Rubbers glued on for 15 years can be really hard to take off. Use mineral spirits as solvent to get the glue to let go if it is hard to get the rubber off.

Then, any modern rubbers you want should be fine.

Rasanter R48 and R43 may be an idea. They are wildly spinny.

For easier to control Rakza 7, Rakza 7 Soft, Vega Pro, Vega Europe.

Whatever you do, don't get rid of the Gatien Extra. That is an awesome blade and a collector's item. :)

Awesome, thank you!

Thanks for the heads up on the Gatien as well. It's still in great condition for it's age and the use it's had.

Saw a great vid on the Rasanter but can't seem to find it for sale anywhere in New Zealand but will keep an eye out.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Awesome, thank you!

Thanks for the heads up on the Gatien as well. It's still in great condition for it's age and the use it's had.

Saw a great vid on the Rasanter but can't seem to find it for sale anywhere in New Zealand but will keep an eye out.

If you buy online, won't they ship to NZ?

https://en.dandoy-sports.eu/andro-rasanter-r48.html

https://en.dandoy-sports.eu/andro-rasanter-r45.html

I confess, it is more expensive than I remember. If someone orders with you you can get 4 sheets for the price of 3 at that site. But they also have rubbers that are much less expensive that are still pretty good.

I think shipping is free on purchases over 100-Euro.