The rubber taste and smell test...?

Hey guys,

Hope everyone is going well. I was looking at the packing of my rubbers just for fun and noticed DHS rubbers come with this warning in English, "You'd better not taste or smell the rubber products." I mean, I'm probably late to this party, but am now curious about what happens if you taste or smell it? I mean, the smell of the Neo rubbers is pretty hard to avoid LOL.

The Chinese warning is more stringent than the English, as the Chinese version of the warning says it's not suitable to be near one's mouth or nose, let alone tasting and smelling it.

So... just wondering, has anyone actually been curious enough to taste or smell DHS rubbers? LOL.

Howie

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
hahahahaha. This is funny.

It is possible that DHS uses VOCs to factory tune (boost) the rubbers they sell. For sure, the glue used to attach the topsheet onto the sponge has VOCs.

In the 1970s there would be people in NYC walking around with a paper bag and glue in the bag and they would put the bag over their nose and mouth and inhale TO GET HIGH. It turns out this damages brain cells and is pretty bad for you.

In the 80s and 1990s and up until 2008 when Speed Glue was still accepted in the TT rules, people would glue before they played. Often the room they would glue up in would be filled with the smell and fumes from the VOCs in Speed Glue and from a decent number of players all gluing up at the same time, and TT players would be getting high--like the guys with the bags over their face--without intending to. So, like, a contact high. So, TT players, were getting high on glue and killing brain cells in the process.

And I think DHS is just saying: Try not to inhale the fumes from this rubber because they may be dangerous. This is probably the case for the first few weeks of use with those rubbers that have that label. But....Have you ever read the assembly instructions from a product that comes from China and needs to be assembled? I have seen translations into English that are even more funny than "Don't smell or eat your rubbers." :)

• Haha
Reactions: RunawayAtLarge
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Der_Echte is pretty famous for licking correct side of the rubber before cutting (to make the cutting easier and better) and lasta is famous for trying to get Der_Echte to lick razor blade cutters, which Der_Echte said that Der_Echte COULD, using sound technique and common sense without any injury or blood spilliage.

hahahahaha. This is funny.

It is possible that DHS uses VOCs to factory tune (boost) the rubbers they sell. For sure, the glue used to attach the topsheet onto the sponge has VOCs.

In the 1970s there would be people in NYC walking around with a paper bag and glue in the bag and they would put the bag over their nose and mouth and inhale TO GET HIGH. It turns out this damages brain cells and is pretty bad for you.

In the 80s and 1990s and up until 2008 when Speed Glue was still accepted in the TT rules, people would glue before they played. Often the room they would glue up in would be filled with the smell and fumes from the VOCs in Speed Glue and from a decent number of players all gluing up at the same time, and TT players would be getting high--like the guys with the bags over their face--without intending to. So, like, a contact high. So, TT players, were getting high on glue and killing brain cells in the process.

And I think DHS is just saying: Try not to inhale the fumes from this rubber because they may be dangerous. This is probably the case for the first few weeks of use with those rubbers that have that label. But....Have you ever read the assembly instructions from a product that comes from China and needs to be assembled? I have seen translations into English that are even more funny than "Don't smell or eat your rubbers." :)

Oh this is really interesting! I didn't know all this about the whole speedglue thing. I never used speedglue when I played before. Ha, imagine everyone playing a tournament getting really high!!!

Although an alternative interpretation of the warning was made aware to me by someone - simply "you'd just better not smell or taste it... you can, but just best not do it." LOL.

Oh man...

Am I sad to find that warning so funny? =D

I always ask my local dealer to have a taste before i buy.

My wife makes me keep my DHS H3 neo stash in the basement because she can´t stand the smell. Even when they are still in the packaging ...

I don't understand what they do to the Neo to make it smell so... fishy is probably the only adjective I can think of. No other rubber seems to smell of fish LOL.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020

I don't understand what they do to the Neo to make it smell so... fishy is probably the only adjective I can think of. No other rubber seems to smell of fish LOL.

Of course rubbers are rubbers and fish are fish, an interesting side-note though : Fresh fish does not actually have a "fishy smell" only when
it gets on a bit, the eyes get a bit matte and start to develop the peculiar stink.
Back to the rubbers : Maybe we get sold old stinky stock 😁

• Haha
Reactions: RunawayAtLarge