Back to Forum
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 9 26
    R
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 26 9

The rubber taste and smell test...?

Hey guys,

Hope everyone is going well. I was looking at the packing of my rubbers just for fun and noticed DHS rubbers come with this warning in English, "You'd better not taste or smell the rubber products." I mean, I'm probably late to this party, but am now curious about what happens if you taste or smell it? I mean, the smell of the Neo rubbers is pretty hard to avoid LOL.

The Chinese warning is more stringent than the English, as the Chinese version of the warning says it's not suitable to be near one's mouth or nose, let alone tasting and smelling it.

So... just wondering, has anyone actually been curious enough to taste or smell DHS rubbers? LOL.

Howie

says TT-CLOWN, old git

Senior TTD Member 226 643
    L
    says TT-CLOWN, old git

Senior TTD Member 643 226
    me.....i am licking it every day and sniff it while i am at it 😁

The Following User Likes lodro's Post:

RunawayAtLarge

says I like to hit Heavy Topspin

Super Moderator 16,003 14,490
    says I like to hit Heavy Topspin

Super Moderator 14,490 16,003
    hahahahaha. This is funny.

It is possible that DHS uses VOCs to factory tune (boost) the rubbers they sell. For sure, the glue used to attach the topsheet onto the sponge has VOCs.

In the 1970s there would be people in NYC walking around with a paper bag and glue in the bag and they would put the bag over their nose and mouth and inhale TO GET HIGH. It turns out this damages brain cells and is pretty bad for you.

In the 80s and 1990s and up until 2008 when Speed Glue was still accepted in the TT rules, people would glue before they played. Often the room they would glue up in would be filled with the smell and fumes from the VOCs in Speed Glue and from a decent number of players all gluing up at the same time, and TT players would be getting high--like the guys with the bags over their face--without intending to. So, like, a contact high. So, TT players, were getting high on glue and killing brain cells in the process.

And I think DHS is just saying: Try not to inhale the fumes from this rubber because they may be dangerous. This is probably the case for the first few weeks of use with those rubbers that have that label. But....Have you ever read the assembly instructions from a product that comes from China and needs to be assembled? I have seen translations into English that are even more funny than "Don't smell or eat your rubbers."

The Following User Likes UpSideDownCarl's Post:

RunawayAtLarge

Setup 1: Blade by Nate: Vortex Spin Machine, FH Evolution MX-K, BH Evolution FX-P
    Setup 2: OSP Virtuoso Plus, FH Rasanter R 48, BH Rasanter R 48
    Spin is Everything

says Grand Consultant to the Office of the Goon Squad

Master TTD Member 11,088 10,886
    says Grand Consultant to the Office of the Goon Squad

Master TTD Member 10,886 11,088

User Info Menu

Der_Echte is pretty famous for licking correct side of the rubber before cutting (to make the cutting easier and better) and lasta is famous for trying to get Der_Echte to lick razor blade cutters, which Der_Echte said that Der_Echte COULD, using sound technique and common sense without any injury or blood spilliage.
    President, Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club. Hit us up on TTD or Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/koreaforeignttc

Janitor at NexyUSA TT Equipment Shop
    http://www.nexyusa.com

View our Lame Nexy USA corporate FB page
    http://www.facebook.com/nexyusa

This user has no status.

TTD Member 13 89
    C
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 89 13
    I always ask my local dealer to have a taste before i buy.

My wife makes me keep my DHS H3 neo stash in the basement because she can´t stand the smell. Even when they are still in the packaging ...

The Following User Likes CLV's Post:

RunawayAtLarge

This user has no status.

TTD Member 9 26
    R
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 26 9
    Quote Originally Posted by UpSideDownCarl
    hahahahaha. This is funny.

It is possible that DHS uses VOCs to factory tune (boost) the rubbers they sell. For sure, the glue used to attach the topsheet onto the sponge has VOCs.

In the 1970s there would be people in NYC walking around with a paper bag and glue in the bag and they would put the bag over their nose and mouth and inhale TO GET HIGH. It turns out this damages brain cells and is pretty bad for you.

In the 80s and 1990s and up until 2008 when Speed Glue was still accepted in the TT rules, people would glue before they played. Often the room they would glue up in would be filled with the smell and fumes from the VOCs in Speed Glue and from a decent number of players all gluing up at the same time, and TT players would be getting high--like the guys with the bags over their face--without intending to. So, like, a contact high. So, TT players, were getting high on glue and killing brain cells in the process.

And I think DHS is just saying: Try not to inhale the fumes from this rubber because they may be dangerous. This is probably the case for the first few weeks of use with those rubbers that have that label. But....Have you ever read the assembly instructions from a product that comes from China and needs to be assembled? I have seen translations into English that are even more funny than "Don't smell or eat your rubbers."

Oh this is really interesting! I didn't know all this about the whole speedglue thing. I never used speedglue when I played before. Ha, imagine everyone playing a tournament getting really high!!!

Although an alternative interpretation of the warning was made aware to me by someone - simply "you'd just better not smell or taste it... you can, but just best not do it." LOL.

Oh man...

Am I sad to find that warning so funny? =D

This user has no status.

TTD Member 9 26
    R
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 26 9
    Quote Originally Posted by CLV
    I always ask my local dealer to have a taste before i buy.

My wife makes me keep my DHS H3 neo stash in the basement because she can´t stand the smell. Even when they are still in the packaging ...

I don't understand what they do to the Neo to make it smell so... fishy is probably the only adjective I can think of. No other rubber seems to smell of fish LOL.

says TT-CLOWN, old git

Senior TTD Member 226 643
    L
    says TT-CLOWN, old git

Senior TTD Member 643 226
    Quote Originally Posted by RunawayAtLarge

I don't understand what they do to the Neo to make it smell so... fishy is probably the only adjective I can think of. No other rubber seems to smell of fish LOL.

Of course rubbers are rubbers and fish are fish, an interesting side-note though : Fresh fish does not actually have a "fishy smell" only when
    it gets on a bit, the eyes get a bit matte and start to develop the peculiar stink.
    Back to the rubbers : Maybe we get sold old stinky stock 😁

The Following User Likes lodro's Post:

RunawayAtLarge