Looking for high arc rubber

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018

G1 is my current FH rubber as seen on my personal page. I use it mainly for loop-a-loop or counter-looping and less on slow spinny loop for opening up. I'll try it with slow spinny loop for opening up this weekend when I play at my club again. See how it goes...

Looking for a higher arc rubber than g-1 is a fruitless endeavor. If you cannot use it for slow loop, try boosting it or using a softer rubber, e.g., C-1. Although, if your FH technique is good, you may even be looking for a harder rubber... then you might want something like the newer 55 deg hybrid rubbers (bluegrip, china guang, etc).

Last edited:

But does Donic Baracuda has strong catapult effect? To my mind, it doss not.

BARRACUDA, CHEERS.

No, but seriously barracuda has plenty of speed from 1st zone, step 1m back and you need to put some effort in your strokes. From late 2nd zone or all of 3rd zone, no shot. Unless you boost, ore have Kreanga backhand. But barracuda doesn’t really benefit from boosting tho

Reactions: brokenball
says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
BARRACUDA, CHEERS.

No, but seriously barracuda has plenty of speed from 1st zone, step 1m back and you need to put some effort in your strokes. From late 2nd zone or all of 3rd zone, no shot. Unless you boost, ore have Kreanga backhand. But barracuda doesn’t really benefit from boosting tho

Yeah, I agree Donic Baracuda. However, I have found the ONE!

I am loving the Donic Bluefire M1. High arc + strong catapult effect. I have found my ONE true love.

Thanks everyone.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
This is such a BS thread. If you brush the ball the result will be more spin than speed. However, if you brush the ball faster the result will be more spin and speed. The Magnus effect is the cross product of spin and speed. If the spin axis is perpendicular to the direction of travel the Magnus effect is effectively spin*speed. The ratio of spin to speed depends on how much you brush the ball. Basically, you can get high arcs with almost anything. Player skill and ability to adapt to the rubber is what makes the big difference.

Currently, I have Rakza 7 soft max mounted on my c-pen paddle. I just posted a link to it recently. Rakza 7 Max soft makes it easy to achieve the Magnuus effect.
I also have Donic Barracuda mounted on both sides of one my my all wood Samsonov Alpha blades. It loops well too.
The blade is not fast nor is the Barracuda both both are fast enough unless you are a wimpl

I have NEVER had a problem with speed until I took up Der Echte's challenge of putting Reflectoid on the FH and an anti on the BH on a Tony White spot blade.

All of you that that complain about speed need to man up. Even girls kick your ass.

FINALLY! WHY DO YOU WANT HIGH ARCS? HIGH ARC BOUNCE HIGH TOO AND ARE EASY TO FLAT HIT BACK.

Reactions: Kolev and ttarc
says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Well, brokenball… I think people like the high arc in want of a safety margin, and because they (correctly) feel it indicates a high spin:speed ratio (stronger Magnus effect). Which I guess equates to more spin (ceteris paribus), which is a useful way to pressure an opponent (and muy macho to boot).

Like you say, some rubbers make that easier than others, even though in theory pretty much anything can be produced given sufficient touch and technique. Seeing Xu Xin vary his loops against defenders illustrates that clearly.

Level relative, then. Xu Xin skills are rather rare, and I for one don’t see much dick impact there.

Me, I go for depth and can mostly choose my arc, bend the ball to my will. If my opponent doesn’t have me against the ropes. It took years to hone these skills, and for me it helped to gain full confidence in being able to open up with safety. Building on that confidence, tightening up became feasible. Easy Magnus probably doesn’t hurt in these development stages.

Last edited:
Reactions: SamTheMan
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
High arcs bounce high and are easier to return. They also have a longer flight time so are easier to respond too. If you aren't consistent enough then maybe high arcs are good for you but getting the extra spin needed for high arcs requires brushing the ball more and that is not what rookies are good at.
Keep the ball low always works. This forces other guy to make a defensive shot or to loop the ball from below the net and if he loops the ball too high you can attack it.
The highest point of travel for the ball should be just when it crosses over the net and it should be no higher than necessary. I understand that some might want a higher margin getting over the net because they aren't very consistent.

Reactions: yoass
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
FINALLY! WHY DO YOU WANT HIGH ARCS? HIGH ARC BOUNCE HIGH TOO AND ARE EASY TO FLAT HIT BACK.
This is not always true if one can loop good. Players intentionally let the ball drop below the table and make a high arc and it barely passes over the net and blocking, flat hitting or countering those is very difficult. Not to mention that some table + ball combinations make the ball accelerate forward a lot on bounce. Some tables make the ball not even bounce up properly, it can be seen in pro matches too. This can be totally abused in ones advantage not to mention if they do the loop from under the table really well you don't even see which side the ball will come to so you don't have time to prepare your counter.

This is not always true if one can loop good. Players intentionally let the ball drop below the table and make a high arc and it barely passes over the net and blocking, flat hitting or countering those is very difficult. Not to mention that some table + ball combinations make the ball accelerate forward a lot on bounce. Some tables make the ball not even bounce up properly, it can be seen in pro matches too. This can be totally abused in ones advantage not to mention if they do the loop from under the table really well you don't even see which side the ball will come to so you don't have time to prepare your counter.

Zwill ,this is exactly why I like a low and relatively flat arch, if its too high I miss the table more often...

Cheers
L-zr

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
When I first posted this question, I wasn't taking any coaching and naturally my logical mind thoughts thus; high arc = high margin of safety. This is a very natural way of thinking, isn't it?

I took lesson from a professional coach starting in Dec 2021 and I have had a dozen of lessons or so so far. These are my comment after taking proper lesson.

1. A high arc rubber is still wonderful against underspin ball. What I have observed is that the ball does not bounce up like what brokenball mentioned, instead, it bounce and kicks to the front and curve with a leftish arc and then drops rapidly.

2. Same goes for top spin ball. If one drives it with a forward stroke and with a closed bat angle, it will bounce off, kicks to the front with a leftish arc and drops down rapidly. It does not bounce high up as described by brokenball.

3. Whatever I am doing, it must be quite different with brokenball's experience.

Just sharing my empirical observation. Sorry I have no idea about the science behind all these observation.

These observation was told to me by my sparring partner not too long ago. Hence I know. I would love to show video, but due to angle of my camera, it does not show what I describe very well.

Last edited:
When I first posted this question, I wasn't taking any coaching and naturally my logical mind thoughts thus; high arc = high margin of safety. This is a very natural way of thinking, isn't it?

I took lesson from a professional coach starting in Dec 2021 and I have had a dozen of lessons or so so far. These are my comment after taking proper lesson.

1. A high arc rubber is still wonderful against underspin ball. What I have observed is that the ball does not bounce up like what brokenball mentioned, instead, it bounce and kicks to the front and curve with a leftish arc and then drops rapidly.

2. Same goes for top spin ball. If one drives it with a forward stroke and with a closed bat angle, it will bounce off, kicks to the front with a leftish arc and drops down rapidly. It does not bounce high up as described by brokenball.

3. Whatever I am doing, it must be quite different with brokenball's experience.

Just sharing my empirical observation. Sorry I have no idea about the science behind all these observation.

These observation was told to me by my sparring partner not too long ago. Hence I know. I would love to show video, but due to angle of my camera, it does not show what I describe very well
It is, in most cases, but I am used to play with softer rubbers and low arch's. Soft rubbers has less spin on really hard hits so I need to keep the ball lower. My current setup has a higher arch and I've had a hell of a time getting used to it...

Cheers
L-zr

Currently, I have Rakza 7 soft max mounted on my c-pen paddle. I just posted a link to it recently. Rakza 7 Max soft makes it easy to achieve the Magnuus effect.
I also have Donic Barracuda mounted on both sides of one my my all wood Samsonov Alpha blades. It loops well too.
The blade is not fast nor is the Barracuda both both are fast enough unless you are a whimp.

Is Rakza 7 soft, or barracuda spinnier?
Any similarities in spin, speed or control?
Could you rate those two rubbers in terms of spin, speed and control from 1-10, 1 being the worst, and 10 being the best.

Best regards!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
This is such a BS thread. If you brush the ball the result will be more spin than speed. However, if you brush the ball faster the result will be more spin and speed. The Magnus effect is the cross product of spin and speed. If the spin axis is perpendicular to the direction of travel the Magnus effect is effectively spin*speed. The ratio of spin to speed depends on how much you brush the ball. Basically, you can get high arcs with almost anything. Player skill and ability to adapt to the rubber is what makes the big difference.

The blade is not fast nor is the Barracuda both both are fast enough unless you are a wimpl

I have NEVER had a problem with speed until I took up Der Echte's challenge of putting Reflectoid on the FH and an anti on the BH on a Tony White spot blade.

All of you that that complain about speed need to man up. Even girls kick your ass.

By that logic, every one would be hitting with tensored short pips no? And ‘brushing’ their way to victory.

High arc rubbers are just rubbers that, through their pimple geometry, grip/tack and other factors, are more effective at generating the magnus effect than others. Therefore more useful, unless you don’t play with topspin and don’t need high spin/spin sensitivity.

The whole basis for using a high arc rubber is that you can direct all your energy into looping the ball forwards, with maximum power, with enough margin of error not to overshoot or hit the net. So instead of inefficiently brushing upwards to make your low arc higher and slower, you efficiently brush forwards to make your high arc lower and faster.

This is the consensus, basically all pros and amateurs play with high arcing rubbers unless they’re blockers/punchers/hitters. If you’re going to throw insults around, it might as well be over something that you’re objectively right about.

Reactions: SamTheMan
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017

Where you hit the ball from is important but so is the peak of the arc.
The higher the ball falls from the higher the bounce will be. This is irrefutable.