Just tried a H3Neo, so disappointed

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
So, after letting the H3 soak in the baby oil for a few days, lose some of its initial tackiness, and most importantly moving the H3 to a heftier blade, the H3 does feel a bit livelier and playable.

As the booster wears off, the margin for error decreases a bit, and the rubber requires more precision in spin shots (which is nowhere to be found).

I can say this - that when the TSOS (Scoobie Doo AKA Sergey) some day soon registers and starts talking on this forum, y'all gunna hear his voice about H3 real loud. The man got stuff to say and he isn't a slouch.

Where would we be without faith!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
Well, I'm certainly not an expert in Chinese-style rubbers, but I don't think Xiom Vega X is in that category. Did you perhaps mean Xiom Vega China, or Xiom Omega VII China Guang?

TT11 recently did a really helpful video comparing some of the H3 Neo alternatives:

Thank you for the link. I meant Vega X but seems like i misread about it. In past, I've been told in the forum that there is not much of a difference in DHS H3 Neo commercial orange sponge and the DHS H3 Neo Provincial blue sponge, however some sites say otherwise. Has someone here tried both H3 Neo Commercial and H3 Neo provincial blue sponge on FH and have noticed significant difference in consistency, life and overall quality ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018

Thank you for the link. I meant Vega X but seems like i misread about it. In past, I've been told in the forum that there is not much of a difference in DHS H3 Neo commercial orange sponge and the DHS H3 Neo Provincial blue sponge, however some sites say otherwise. Has someone here tried both H3 Neo Commercial and H3 Neo provincial blue sponge on FH and have noticed significant difference in consistency, life and overall quality ?

The difference between BS and OS is very significant actually. Blue sponge for the same hardness feels softer and hits down on the wood easier. It is faster too. Orange sponge is more dull and dead.
On the other hand OS H3 usually bubbles up after more playhours, but I actually think BS H3 is just inviting more punishment from the player while OS H3 you can put in more effort but it doesn't deliver your effort back in speed or spin as well.

I never seen any commercial BS H3 to be honest, but the OS commercial and prov and national ain't that different. I certainly wouldn't pay 3x-4x more for a national OS H3.

I find the 729 Battle 2 gold version is the closest thing to a BS H3. Similar hardness, weight, play. For around 30USD it's a pretty good bargain.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020

The difference between BS and OS is very significant actually. Blue sponge for the same hardness feels softer and hits down on the wood easier. It is faster too. Orange sponge is more dull and dead.
On the other hand OS H3 usually bubbles up after more playhours, but I actually think BS H3 is just inviting more punishment from the player while OS H3 you can put in more effort but it doesn't deliver your effort back in speed or spin as well.

I never seen any commercial BS H3 to be honest, but the OS commercial and prov and national ain't that different. I certainly wouldn't pay 3x-4x more for a national OS H3.

I find the 729 Battle 2 gold version is the closest thing to a BS H3. Similar hardness, weight, play. For around 30USD it's a pretty good bargain.

OS H3 you can put in more effort but it doesn't deliver your effort back in speed or spin as well.

i disagree

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
One thing about TT equipment, if you get 10 different people to say what they think about a particular piece of equipment, they will all feel and say different things. This is even more so when the people are of different levels.

This is part of what makes online reviews of equipment so meaningless. Different people feel different things and if you have a player whose level is not high enough to make certain shots, then that player's opinion would only apply to players who are in the same boat.

Reactions: TaiHaoPingPong
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
One thing about TT equipment, if you get 10 different people to say what they think about a particular piece of equipment, they will all feel and say different things. This is even more so when the people are of different levels.

This is part of what makes online reviews of equipment so meaningless. Different people feel different things and if you have a player whose level is not high enough to make certain shots, then that player's opinion would only apply to players who are in the same boat.

yep, that's fair comment

This user has no status.

Absolute truth !!!
Some time ago I wanted to write the same opinion, but I did not want to offend anyone.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Equipment reviews are definitely dependent on skill level, totally agree.
so much equipment is also very similar, in the same ball park, with differences that sometimes will not really be noticed.
Having said that, there’s still a place for equipment reviews, if you can’t try a product, test it, borrow it, then all you have to go on is people’s opinions, be they verbal, written or video review.
So I would agree that they can be ‘meaningless’ if not taken with a pinch of salt. However if you always bear in mind that reviews are a ‘personal’ opinion then they can be used as a reasonable guide especially if there are a good number of reviews to look at.
Even reviews by Pro’s have to be viewed with a degree of, not disbelief but awareness that they are likely to be under contract to a manufacturer and therefore that product is going to be the best thing since sliced bread!!!

Reactions: lodro
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020

Agree, but in general, if majority of people have similar opinion about something, then it does give a fair indication. Having said that, just today I noticed in this forum, one person praising Stiga Infinity VPS over Viscaria, which I completely disagree with and ironically this proves your point that the equipment opinions are very very subjective.