Homemade booster with common items around the house?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
I was going through the garage, and I noticed a lot of old WD-40, paint thinners, and all kinds of things. Are there any good rubber booster recipes that can be made from common items around the house?

Old master lodro has his own recipe. With some mods, I'm going to use it next time. Now I wait that he also invents a recipe for the glue, and I'm set!

• Haha
Reactions: lodro
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Michael, there are at least 100 threads on this subject from over the past 10 years. Do a search for Paraffin Oil or Baby Oil. See if you can find some of them.

Any Flammable Oil will boost a rubber.

Why would Olive Oil be a bad idea? Olive Oil does not evaporate fast enough if it evaporates. Boosters that work well cause the air bubbles in the rubber to fill with the evaporating gas from the volatile oil. This is also why the olive oil might cause the sponge to expand and curl, but will not give a good boost effect and the rubber won't undome. A rubber boosted with olive oil will probably feel like mush.

If you poured water on the sponge, the sponge would absorb the water and expand also. That would cause the rubber to curl. But you would not get a boost effect from that either. You would get a wet sponge.

Reactions: bobpuls
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Michael, there are at least 100 threads on this subject from over the past 10 years. Do a search for Paraffin Oil or Baby Oil. See if you can find some of them.

Any Flammable Oil will boost a rubber.

Why would Olive Oil be a bad idea? Olive Oil does not evaporate fast enough if it evaporates. Boosters that work well cause the air bubbles in the rubber to fill with the evaporating gas from the volatile oil. This is also why the olive oil might cause the sponge to expand and curl, but will not give a good boost effect and the rubber won't undome. A rubber boosted with olive oil will probably feel like mush.

If you poured water on the sponge, the sponge would absorb the water and expand also. That would cause the rubber to curl. But you would not get a boost effect from that either. You would get a wet sponge.

I know a lot of people said baby oil, but it doesnt seem to work well for me. I wonder if there is something similar to speed glue lying around the house? Wasn't speed glue originally some bicycle lubricant?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

I know a lot of people said baby oil, but it doesnt seem to work well for me. I wonder if there is something similar to speed glue lying around the house? Wasn't speed glue originally some bicycle lubricant?

If you want a good boost effect, get a real booster. For H3 what works best is those boosters from China like Haifu Oil or Dian Chi.

Originally what was used that became speed glue was a vulcanizing glue used to glue patches to bicycle inner tubes. But speed lasts for less than 24 hours.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Gases compress and will return almost all the energy used to compress them. Liquids compress but very very slightly.
You fill footballs, basket balls, and soccer balls with air. You fill your tires with air.
Your rubber already has small air pockets so unless you can make them bigger with something the evaporates quickly to expand the air pockets, you probably aren't doing yourself much good and the effect will wear of quickly. Paraffin oil is so light that it will evaporate too quickly. Put some paraffin oil on your fingers and see how fast it evaporates.
Heavier oils won't evaporate fast if at all so they won't do you much good. They will ruin your rubber by filling the air pockets with nearly uncompressible oil
I wouldn't bother with boosting ESN or Butterfly sponges as their air pockets are relatively big compared to the the heavy Chinese rubbers.
I still have a bottle of speed glue I bought from colestt. I wasn't impressed. Getting more speed isn't that helpful when it comes to keeping the ball on the table unless you can always get a line of sight shot. When it comes to spin, it is the top sheet that stretches and then snaps back that adds spin. The increased speed of boosted rubber doesn't help the spin to speed ratio since it doesn't make the top sheet more springy.

One thing I have always wondered about is if it makes a difference how quickly you attach the rubber to the blade after boosting it. If you boost the sponge and let it sit too long, all the gases will evaporate because there is a lot of exposed surface as opposed to boosting and then quickly attaching the rubber to the blade so the only place for the gas to escape is around the edges.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
Read 1 reviews

Was that a vegetable oil based baby oil or "the real thing"? What might be lying around (guitar player?) is fretboard cleaner. At least some of them contain D-Limonene (as in lemon oil, even more in orange oil) which was used in some speed glues (https://patents.google.com/patent/US5910528A/en "For example, and without limitation, limonene (D-limonene has been used to form working embodiments of the present solvent systems; however L-limonene also may be used), with a molecular weight of 136.23, has exceptional rubber swelling characteristics and also has a low vapor pressure. Because of the low vapor pressure the swelling effect that is obtained with the terpenes lasts many times longer than trichloroethylene.")

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
I was going through the garage, and I noticed a lot of old WD-40, paint thinners, and all kinds of things. Are there any good rubber booster recipes that can be made from common items around the house?

This seems a dangerous sort of thought process to encourage. In part that was the principle behind the ban on using Tyre fix cement for an unintended purpose. Lets hope no enthusiastic young person burns the house down in the cause of a faster loop.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
Was that a vegetable oil based baby oil or "the real thing"?

At the time when everybody was experimenting a pro player friend told me about the baby oil, but it had to be Johnson´s ;)

I guess nowadays it´s only for the over-curious to do experiments anymore, since the stuff used by the pros is widely available, be it Dian Chi, Seamoon or Dymax Maximizer. At least I wouldn´t want to f*** around with greasy and stinky lamp oil when I could apply Maximizer like water.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl