VOC Free Vulcanizing Cement

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Can you link to the product you are referring to, Merlin? Or, if you have the product, can you post photos of the label and whether there is a "Flammable Substance" warning on the container.

When I do a search for "VOC Free Vulcanizing Cement" or "Water Based Vulcanizing Cement" I only see products that have VOCs.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
IMG_20210923_152525.jpg

It's this one, made in Japan.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
It's all in Japanese, it's CFC & VOC free confirmed with the local distibutor also don't have carcinogenic agents.
If it does not have VOCs, if it really does not have them, then what would your reason for questioning whether you can use it in competition?

How long before the competition do you plan on gluing the rubbers onto your racket? If it is longer than 1 week, even VOC glue is fine. Because, within a week, the VOCs would have evaporated.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
I want to be sure before use it in competition, some people said all the speed glue is banned or must be ITTF approved, but the only rule that I know by ITTF is VOC free?

I didn't tried to use after 3 or 4 hours once glued.

Of course I use it with FFP2 & in a ventilated area to glue it, once glued played without mask and no problems.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
Trichloroethylene eh? Sounds like its straight up VOC rubber cement. If you freshly glued and the VOC has not completely evaporated and the competition you are in checks with thos high tech sniffing devices, you could be in trouble but if not most won't care. If you are gluing right before competition, then just go with a water based latex glue like most people do nowadays.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yep. If it is SPEED GLUE it is BANNED. That is Speed Glue. And the trichloroethylene is, for sure, something that would be considered a VOC by the TT world. Not sure what the people who sold you that were talking about. But that is not a WATER BASED GLUE. And I believe, if you actually want to use a glue that adheres to TT rules, you would need to be using a WATER BASED Glue.

Here: Info for you:

Why was trichloroethylene banned?

Fetal toxicity and concerns for carcinogenic potential of TCE led to its abandonment in developed countries by the 1980s. The use of trichloroethylene in the food and pharmaceutical industries has been banned in much of the world since the 1970s due to concerns about its toxicity.

You should have been able to find that on the internet on your own though.

===

So, if you want to be using that glue for its speed glue effects, there is no way around the fact that it IS AGAINST THE RULES. But if you glue, and wait a few weeks, then play a tournament, they likely won't detect the Trichloroethylene after a few weeks.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I want to be sure before use it in competition, some people said all the speed glue is banned or must be ITTF approved, but the only rule that I know by ITTF is VOC free?
The actual rules are that you are not allowed to apply any substance to your rubber that will change the playing characteristics of the rubber. So, any version of booster or speed glue is against the rules.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
If so why all Chinese National Team that uses booster are not excluded of ITTF competitions?
Yes, almost all pros break those rules. But, nevertheless, boosters are all against the rules.

"2.4.7 The racket covering shall be used without any physical, chemical or other treatment."

That is from the ITTF Rule Book.

https://ittf.cdnomega.com/eu/2019/04/2019ITTFHandbook.pdf

In the end, whether you follow the rules is up to you. But that glue is absolutely against the rules. It is your choice whether to pay attention to the rules or not. But it is not a question whether TRICHLOROETHYLENE is a chemical that would be considered against the rules. That is the substance that causes your SPEED GLUE effect.

And, remember, speed glue and any substance that enhances rubber performance was banned in 2008.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2018
If so why all Chinese National Team that uses booster are not excluded of ITTF competitions?

It's because t'he booster does not content any V.O.C.

Even the table tennis manufactures use boosters in the procces for their rubbers.

The Evolution series, Bluefires, Rasanters... It's common between ESN tensors, and the H3 NEO comes with a booster layer on it, to give a chinese example.

It's legal if it comes from the factory, but is not if it's made by yourself.Sounds something between funny and stupid, but it's how it is.

Salutacions.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

It's because t'he booster does not content any V.O.C.

Salutacions.

The pros who use boosters in international competitions know that it is hard for the ITTF to catch them. But the boosters are still against the rules. Some of the boosters do have VOCs in them. But not high enough levels of VOCs to trigger a response from a detector.