optician in the house?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
I have 11 year old new pupil
good coordination
fast
motivated

problem is intermittent mistakes and persistently contacting the ball opposite her right (playing shoulder) which puts her on back foot whereas contact opposite left shoulder aids weight transfer. Also I noticed that when i point where she should stand, she always stands to the right of where I indicate.
Eventually I asked which was her. master eye and she said the left even though she is right handed and her dad confirmed she wears glasses at school to read the whiteboard. She was a bit evasive when. I suggested she use her glasses for tt
Any idea of the likely eye condition and whether her school glasses are appropriate for tt?

Last edited:
I wear glasses and plays with them too. I have problems judging the distance without them.
I have problems hitting a ball to the side of me. The more in front of me the ball is the easier to hit.
I also have more problems with hitting very slow balls if they are not in front of me.

Reactions: pingpongpaddy
says Aging is a killer
I wear glasses and plays with them too. I have problems judging the distance without them.
I have problems hitting a ball to the side of me. The more in front of me the ball is the easier to hit.
I also have more problems with hitting very slow balls if they are not in front of me.

Every day is a learning day

Every day is a learning day

The point is when the ball is moving fast and in front of You there is no time for Your eyes to focus anyway.
When the ball is to the side You need Your eyes to judge the distance, that's when it can become a problem.

Reactions: Tinykin
With my left eye I see better on longer distance, and with my right eye I see better on closer distance.

The difference is not great and still is not considered as Anisometropia, and I don't use glasses.

And as I'm right handed it doesn't bother me.

But for a right handed player an opposite eyes situation might be a problem.

And if the difference is great it may lead to distance misjudging.

Astigmatism could be a reason too.

okay thanks for the advice guys

i will speak to her dad
I'd say if she is using glasses all the time then play with them. If she only uses glasses in school to be able to see the black (or white) board, and not any other time,
then play without.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
How long have you been working with her?

around 3 weeks. our club is very busy so among the dozen or so kids i am feeding multiball 3 sessions a week, she and her elder sister stand out as being very promising beginners.In our club it seems that if an 11 year can stick with our quite tough program they should be competent all round players in a year and challenging for junior honours at the end of the third year. Mind you we have been privileged recently to have the likes of HZW polishing our better kids when he visits.

this girl definitely has some issue with her sight, but like many kids detests wearing glasses. Her Dad is now aware
so it should be sorted

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
You are not alone. I suffer from the same thing. This is what happens when you get older. I call them geezer eyes.

The correction in your glasses will make things look closer or farther away depending on whether you are near sighted or far sighted. Don't change your eye glasses if any before play. I have glasses for TT. If I drive to the club, my eyes will be adjusted by the time I get there. If I play at where I work, it still takes about a half hour for my eyes to adjust from my progressive computer glasses to my straight 20 20 TT glasses. Your ability to change focus of your eyes slow down as you get older too.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
If she is young and her eyesight is not that bad, where she can do most things without glasses, it is probably more an eye hand coordination issue and that would just take time to sort itself out. Someone who does many activities where you have to judge where a ball is as it is moving through space and get something you are holding with your hand to connect in some way (whether catching or hitting) may start out with better eye hand coordination. Someone who has never done things that take eye hand coordination skill may take longer to sort out where in space the ball is.

I can play TT or baseball whether my glasses are on or off. It takes, at most, 3 or 4 hits for me to adjust if I was just playing with glasses and then take them off. I don't see as well. But I can judge where the ball is despite what I see.

See what happens if you have this kid try and juggle two tennis balls or just hit a ball up 4-8 (10-20cm) inches over and over with the racket. If either of those are more challenging than you think they should be, it is more an issue of the brain and neural system judging where in space the ball is than eyesight.

There are lots of exercises to get a kid to start improving their eye hand coordination. Things that could be fun or a game to a kid. But that would help them start learning.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
If she is young and her eyesight is not that bad, where she can do most things without glasses, it is probably more an eye hand coordination issue and that would just take time to sort itself out. Someone who does many activities where you have to judge where a ball is as it is moving through space and get something you are holding with your hand to connect in some way (whether catching or hitting) may start out with better eye hand coordination. Someone who has never done things that take eye hand coordination skill may take longer to sort out where in space the ball is.

I can play TT or baseball whether my glasses are on or off. It takes, at most, 3 or 4 hits for me to adjust if I was just playing with glasses and then take them off. I don't see as well. But I can judge where the ball is despite what I see.

See what happens if you have this kid try and juggle two tennis balls or just hit a ball up 4-8 (10-20cm) inches over and over with the racket. If either of those are more challenging than you think they should be, it is more an issue of the brain and neural system judging where in space the ball is than eyesight.

There are lots of exercises to get a kid to start improving their eye hand coordination. Things that could be fun or a game to a kid. But that would help them start learning.

i hear what you are saying carl. I have been googling a bit and it seems that the wearing of corrective glasses have a role in training and stimulating the brain-neural system to strengthen an eye that is weaker in some way.
But I am no optician and her dad is now going to speak to the optician.
one wierd thing she does is that i stand on other side of table from her and ask her to stand opposite where i point with my finger, she consistently stands about a foot to the right. none of my other pupils do . On the good side she has great touch speed and reactions and even coordination some of the time. She is very intelligent. Sometimes such individuals can learn to adapt to the extent that they hide an underlying problem.
I think the situation will unfold over the next few weeks

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl