New FH Rubber - Suggests?

I saw it with my coaches and they said that the best option for me at the moment was to get a rubber that I feel the ball more, focus on spinning.

Below is a game of mine for you to observe a little of my FH technique.https://youtu.be/ClePoJr3ErA (I suggest watching from 6:50 until the end of match)

I'm chinese penholder, focus on FH. I practice tt for a year and four months, but from April until now I train focused on high performance and national competitions, from April to June I trained 2-3 hrs a day in the group focused on that.
From June to the end of July I trained for about 1h30 with partners from Monday to Thursday and on Friday and Saturday, 4hrs in the group.
From August to October 2nd I started doing private lessons 2x a week with a coach from the club, Monday and Wednesday, Friday and Saturday 4hrs in the group, on Tuesdays and Thursdays sometimes I trained, sometimes not, it depended on the partners.

From tomorrow I will train every day in the group, 4 hrs a day.

Price range up to $55, and medium-hard hardness (46° up to 53° ESN scale)

Current wood: DHS Hurricane Hao
Current rubber: Gewo Nexxus Pro 53 EL Hard, a booster layer before pasting.

(in the game shown I used a 729-A2 which is a “clone” wood from Xiom Solo and Gewo without booster)

I didn't record games or training after this one, but I'm learning to do the full movement with my arm more extended and with a closed angle, in this video I wasn't used to stretch my arm before hit the ball (https://ibb.co/ZhRKDD8),
today I can do this.
Some people told me to use chinese rubber with booster, but i play in oficial national tournaments with ittf rules, so i feel a little bad thinking about this is against rules.

What are your suggests?Any help would be grateful.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
If I find my old sheet of Tenergy I might be able to donate that to you if you pay the shipping. (Note for moderators and nitpickers, not selling the rubber giving it for free)

You have played the game a bit. What other rubbers you tried even for a while when borrowed from clubmate? What do you think about them. I am no penhold god but I would assume Fastarc G1 might be reasonable option.

Reactions: ADurao
If I find my old sheet of Tenergy I might be able to donate that to you if you pay the shipping. (Note for moderators and nitpickers, not selling the rubber giving it for free)

You have played the game a bit. What other rubbers you tried even for a while when borrowed from clubmate? What do you think about them. I am no penhold god but I would assume Fastarc G1 might be reasonable option.
before starting to train in this high performance group, i used cheap aliexpress rubbers (mercury ii and t88 sanwei)

however, after I started training, it was necessary to change.
I used a old pair of Rakza 7 soft and a Rakza x soft that a friend gave me. But they were taking off frequently from the blade, I used them for about 2 weeks training every day. When my coach saw this, he gave me a pair of rubbers that were semi new. Gewo Nexxus Pro EL 48 on fh and 43 on bh, I used them for about 3 months. Some athletes changed rubber to participate in a tournament and left their rubbers with another coach, he gave me this Nexxus 53 and Rakza 7 soft, also new with less than 1 month of use. im using this until august.

Last edited:

Thank you so much Kuba, but i will buy a new rubber to participate on Brazil National Championship in december. And if the ship can be more expensive than buy a new rubber :)

and considering that it would pay for the rubber in installments

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews

Thank you so much Kuba, but i will buy a new rubber to participate on Brazil National Championship in december. And if the ship can be more expensive than buy a new rubber :)

and considering that it would pay for the rubber in installments

Did you like the Gewo El Pro 48?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Fast arc g-1 is the best bang for the buck.
but D09c and skyline 2 boosted are better.
then again, they are expensive or need to be boosted.

​​​​​​

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
guys, what you think about Nittaku Hurricane Pro 3 Turbo Orange? or go with the Fastarc?

If 53 Gewo does not let you feel ball well Hurricane will not let you either.

Fastarc G1 is a very safe bet. I would ask around first and maybe try it from someone.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Just a note: you say you want to feel the ball better but you want to use fairly hard rubbers. Usually softer rubbers allow you to feel the ball better and give a higher window for error so, are more forgiving in offensive play.

So, either you want a rubber that lets you feel better and allows you more control......or, you want a hard rubber. You will have to make up your mind on that issue.

Based on seeing some of your match, you can make the shots, but your consistency is an issue, your precision on contact. Harder rubbers make that harder. Softer rubbers would help you.

Even though you want harder rubbers for some reason, something like T05FX or Evolution FXP would probably be good to help you develop. As you consistency and precision improves, you would be able to go harder.

You are going to do what you want, but, 6 months to a year of using a softer rubber may really help you improve some of those issues and the softer rubber would definitely help you feel the ball better.

Reactions: langel
Just a note: you say you want to feel the ball better but you want to use fairly hard rubbers. Usually softer rubbers allow you to feel the ball better and give a higher window for error so, are more forgiving in offensive play.

So, either you want a rubber that lets you feel better and allows you more control......or, you want a hard rubber. You will have to make up your mind on that issue.

Based on seeing some of your match, you can make the shots, but your consistency is an issue, your precision on contact. Harder rubbers make that harder. Softer rubbers would help you.

Even though you want harder rubbers for some reason, something like T05FX or Evolution FXP would probably be good to help you develop. As you consistency and precision improves, you would be able to go harder.

You are going to do what you want, but, 6 months to a year of using a softer rubber may really help you improve some of those issues and the softer rubber would definitely help you feel the ball better.

thank you so much Carl, really opened my eyes. Do you think FX-P will be good on a more full swing engaging the sponge? Im training more this and a little counterspins. honestly, i dont think i will like a so soft sponge considering i will use on forehand, what you think about litte hard like the most commented Fastarc, or MX-P for example?

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

thank you so much Carl, really opened my eyes. Do you think FX-P will be good on a more full swing engaging the sponge? Im training more this and a little counterspins.

I want to see if Der_Echte can give you the answer.

I would say a good player can use any rubber. And a player developing skills should use rubbers that help them develop those skills.

Because a softer rubber is softer, it also helps you develop the control to let the ball penetrate the topsheet and sponge to the degree you want without banging into the blade. It does this because the sponge is softer so it lets the ball in more, and because it allows you to feel what you are doing more.

So, with a harder rubber you could be banging into the ball more than you want without realizing it for eons. When you have that skill, the hardness of the rubber won't matter.

I swing pretty big and I know I can use soft rubbers without any problem.

I know a few guys who are pretty high level who use soft rubbers.

Emmanuel Lebesson won the 2016 European Championships with FXP.

Any higher level player has a range of shots.

So, if I was you I would say it is a mistake to think of JUST training a big FH stroke as though there is no context for the bigger stroke. When you have time, when you are attacking backspin, when you are back from the table, those are a few instances where a big stroke makes sense. If you are close to the table in bang-bang style fast play, taking a big stroke will cause you to lose a lot of points as you have not recovered and the return is going past you.

If you watch FZD, look at how often, the the FH, when he is close to the table and he is counterlooping a bomb from his opponent, the takes a short compact FH stroke that ends up being a rocket.

A stroke needs a context. If you are training big strokes in scenarios where you should not be swinging so big, that could end up being counterproductive.

But, if you have skill, you can launch some rockets with FXP or T05FX. I have a friend who hits harder than many pros because he is a Tennis pro who also plays TT. He is not such a high level. But the power of his shots is as good as anyone: speed and spin. He hits freaking hard. And he uses T05FX. I guarantee you, he hits 7-10 times harder than you and 50 times more accurately than you, and he has no problem with using T05FX.

Reactions: davizoosk
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Using FX-P at this stage will be a plus for you and Carl very clearly articulated the real reasons why it is a benefit.

I sometimes use a big swing and and on an offensive blade. I can more easily engage the sponge and topsheet wrap with FX-P on that big swing vs say an underspin... or a slower incoming topspin.

I broke through 2000 level in a big time tourney using both 05fx and FX-S which are two softie modern dynamic rubbers.

Anyone on the other end of my bh loop vs underpin will know very quickly what these rubbers can do.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

When you have that skill, the hardness of the rubber won't matter.

I want to elaborate on this statement. When you have the skill to let the ball sink deep into the sponge without banging into the blade WHEN YOU WANT and to let the ball sink in Mid-Deep When You Want, or to only sink into the sponge a little, When You Want, or to make it so the only thing that the ball sinks into is the topsheet.....when you have that control where you can do any of those things when you want because you wanted to, not by accident or chance, or that it happen how you want some of the time but not all of the time, when you have that skill, then any hardness will be fine.

But right now, some of the time when you don't mean to, the ball is banging into the blade way more than you want. And some of the time your contact is thinner than you intend. Sometimes you make really nice shots. You have the skills. They just need to be developed.

And in the end, what is the biggest thing that could happen if you tried to use a soft rubber for 3-6 months or 6-12 months and decide you want something else? When the rubbers need replacing, you change. But, if you played steadily for 3-6 months with a softer rubber, by the end of that time, only using the softer rubber, you may have a different opinion of the benefits of softer rubbers.

Last edited:
Reactions: davizoosk

I want to see if Der_Echte can give you the answer.

I would say a good player can use any rubber. And a player developing skills should use rubbers that help them develop those skills.

Because a softer rubber is softer, it also helps you develop the control to let the ball penetrate the topsheet and sponge to the degree you want without banging into the blade. It does this because the sponge is softer so it lets the ball in more, and because it allows you to feel what you are doing more.

So, with a harder rubber you could be banging into the ball more than you want without realizing it for eons. When you have that skill, the hardness of the rubber won't matter.

I swing pretty big and I know I can use soft rubbers without any problem.

I know a few guys who are pretty high level who use soft rubbers.

Emmanuel Lebesson won the 2016 European Championships with FXP.

Any higher level player has a range of shots.

So, if I was you I would say it is a mistake to think of JUST training a big FH stroke as though there is no context for the bigger stroke. When you have time, when you are attacking backspin, when you are back from the table, those are a few instances where a big stroke makes sense. If you are close to the table in bang-bang style fast play, taking a big stroke will cause you to lose a lot of points as you have not recovered and the return is going past you.

If you watch FZD, look at how often, the the FH, when he is close to the table and he is counterlooping a bomb from his opponent, the takes a short compact FH stroke that ends up being a rocket.

A stroke needs a context. If you are training big strokes in scenarios where you should not be swinging so big, that could end up being counterproductive.

But, if you have skill, you can launch some rockets with FXP or T05FX. I have a friend who hits harder than many pros because he is a Tennis pro who also plays TT. He is not such a high level. But the power of his shots is as good as anyone: speed and spin. He hits freaking hard. And he uses T05FX. I guarantee you, he hits 7-10 times harder than you and 50 times more accurately than you, and he has no problem with using T05FX.

Absolutely thank you Carl, i will go with FX-P and Nittaku S-1 on BH, good bh choice?

About the big stroke: I practice in the exactly situations you sayed. But when the drills are close to table or envolving counter close to table i do a little compact stroke using more forearm. Thank you for the tips.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

I guarantee you, he hits 7-10 times harder than you and 50 times more accurately than you, and he has no problem with using T05FX.

BTW: one time I was training with this guy and a friend of mine who is a pretty good player was watching and said: "he hits hard. Carl, he hits harder than you. Did you know that?"

I said: "No Shyte, he hits way harder than me." hahahahaha. :) So, I was not singling anyone out. He hits way harder than I do.

He just has amazing power and contact; legs, hips, waist, core, everything is behind his shots. I know a few pro or semi-pro tennis player who also play TT at a decent level. They do not struggle with power because they have really good mechanics even though the mechanics of TT are different than the mechanics of tennis.

It is like this: I rode half-pipe on InLine Skates for years. I was paid to do that. I have snowboarded 2x. On the first day on a snowboard, I was launching. On the second day on a snowboard I went into the half-pipe on the mountain. I wasn't good on a snowboard. I did not know how to control the edges after 2 days. But I was still better than most of the people on the mountain in the half-pipe. I wasn't good. Nobody that day was GOOD. But even with no experience on a snowboard, having ridden ramps on skateboard and inline skates, I just knew how to ride the half-pipe. :)

Last edited: