ITTF proposal to allow doubles to serve crosscourt from the left-hand

This user has no status.
Seen on Larry Hodges' Blog:

Here's the ITTF AGM Working Documents, which shows the various proposals to be considered at their meeting at the upcoming Worlds. Here's the one I find most interesting - it allows doubles teams to serve crosscourt from the left-hand court, instead of always crosscourt from the right-hand court. See Proposition A-22, proposed by Iran, which would require a 3/4 majority to pass.

• To amend 2.6.3 As the ball is falling the server shall strike it so that it touches first his or her court and then touches directly the receiver's court; in doubles, the ball shall touch successively the right half court of server and receiver, or it shall touch successively the left half court of server and receiver.
  • Rationale: The extension of the service rule removes the disadvantage for right hand players and allows more flexibility to use their best position when starting a rally.

What do people think about this one? I'm usually not fond of rule changes, but this one I like. Besides the removes the disadvantage for right hand players, it feels it would make double more interesting.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Nope. It’d give the lefty + righty combo too much advantage.

If you have 2 righties double and you serve from the left side, you are no different to the 2 lefties double with the current rule, which has clear disadvantage. It’s easier to serve but movement is awkward.

This change only benefits lefty + righty double, which already has advantage over other combinations. I imagine they would be almost impossible to beat given that the players are the same level.

Last edited: