Rubber upgrade

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2021

Hello everyone!

I’m looking to swap my current worn out rubbers for new ones. I’ve been playing table tennis for ~9 years, I trained for a short period of time as a kid, then played irregularly/casually and only recently I joined a local club to train couple times a week and compete in the lowest Polish League. I would describe my playing style as two-winged looper, I like to play aggressively and apply immediate pressure to my oponent, which often backfires in unforced errors as I don’t quite have the consistency of high level players yet 😅

Here is my current setup:

Blade - Donic Persson PowerAllround
FH: Tibhar Evolution EL-P max
BH: Xiom Vega Euro max

My thoughts on my current rubbers:
FH - I like the speed and ball trajectory, but spin on serves is very low compared to Xiom and I have to work hard to lift heavy backspin balls (I really have to dig the ball deep into the rubber, sometimes it slips of the topsheet).
BH - slow and spinny but I think I need something faster as on harder rallies/blocks the ball tends to drop short into the net, not having enough velocity.

Some other rubbers I’ve tried from friends:
Tibhar MX-P - too fast, the contact length was definitely too short for me to control it (also it was on faster blade).
Tenergy 05fx - I liked it on backhand, due to the 'lively’ touch and incredible ease to generate spin on topspins (especially against backspins), but the rubber was much more sensitive to incoming spin, less consistent on blocks and maybe I couldn’t control it fully (also on faster blade). On fh it sometimes had an insane arch, many gears (many more than Tibhar), but overall I like the hardness and trajectory of EL-P more on fh.

I would be extremely grateful for any suggestions regarding my new rubbers, as I’m quite confused with the amount and variety of them on the market. As for durability, Xiom lasted for a lot longer, Tibhar lost its grip much earlier. I would prefer something in mid-price range, possibly avoiding 2x Tenergy level. If it had a long lifespan it would be great but I understand you can’t have everything 😎

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020

Given that you've been playing for a while, and that you have access to a club (so I assume other, more experienced players are able to give you some feedback and help) I'd probably suggest Yasaka Rakza 7 for both FH and BH.

It's a well-proven rubber - a classic really - that offers tremendous balance: enough speed and spin, with outstanding control. It's also well priced and you can usually get it on the 'buy 4 for the price of 3' deal at TT11 (see here: https://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/buy3get4)

Dan and Tom did a really helpful review of it here:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews

Given that you've been playing for a while, and that you have access to a club (so I assume other, more experienced players are able to give you some feedback and help) I'd probably suggest Yasaka Rakza 7 for both FH and BH.

It's a well-proven rubber - a classic really - that offers tremendous balance: enough speed and spin, with outstanding control. It's also well priced and you can usually get it on the 'buy 4 for the price of 3' deal at TT11 (see here: https://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/buy3get4)

Dan and Tom did a really helpful review of it here:

Rakza 7 is a well regarded choice. It can be found for good price in Poland as well.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
The Nittaku Fastarc G-1 is quite popular and is a reliable rubber. It's a bit slower than the MX-P but has better spin and control in my opinion.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2021
After a discussion with Kuba, could anyone compare Raksa 7 to Xiom Vega Japan? For my backhand.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2021
Hi, I'm coming back to this thread as my club offered to sponsor one rubber for each member, so I need to quickly choose a new one for the future :)

Based on your recommendations earlier (thank you again) I built my current setup like this:
Blade: Donic Persson PowerAllround
FH: Nittaku Fastarc G-1
BH: Yasaka Raksa 7

I love Nittaku Fastarc G-1 and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a reliable forehand rubber. However, I would like to change my backhand rubber in the future. I like the consistency of Raksa 7, it suits me well in blocking and short touches, but I think I made too much of a jump in sponge hardness (my previous rubber was Xiom Vega Euro). It is sometimes too hard for me to get the right contact, especially on flicks and off backspin. When I get the timing right it's great, but I think on current stage of my development I need something a little more foregiving (hence softer, so the ball can stay a bit longer on my rubber, correct me if im wrong).
I decided too change Xiom Vega Euro because it lacked power (I like to play in mid distance, I have an Allround blade and my technique is not perfect, those could be reasons why). I guess I need something in between of those two rubbers (Xiom has 2.9 sponge hardness on Revspin and Raksa 6.1).

So basically im looking for something in between Xiom Vega Euro and Raksa 7 in terms of hardness. Spin and control on both rubbers felt great for me. Is there a rubber like that? All price points. :D

EDIT: Both of my rubbers are max thickness if that gives any additional information

Last edited:
Hi, I'm coming back to this thread as my club offered to sponsor one rubber for each member, so I need to quickly choose a new one for the future :)

Based on your recommendations earlier (thank you again) I built my current setup like this:
Blade: Donic Persson PowerAllround
FH: Nittaku Fastarc G-1
BH: Yasaka Raksa 7

I love Nittaku Fastarc G-1 and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a reliable forehand rubber. However, I would like to change my backhand rubber in the future. I like the consistency of Raksa 7, it suits me well in blocking and short touches, but I think I made too much of a jump in sponge hardness (my previous rubber was Xiom Vega Euro). It is sometimes too hard for me to get the right contact, especially on flicks and off backspin. When I get the timing right it's great, but I think on current stage of my development I need something a little more foregiving (hence softer, so the ball can stay a bit longer on my rubber, correct me if im wrong).
I decided too change Xiom Vega Euro because it lacked power (I like to play in mid distance, I have an Allround blade and my technique is not perfect, those could be reasons why). I guess I need something in between of those two rubbers (Xiom has 2.9 sponge hardness on Revspin and Raksa 6.1).

So basically im looking for something in between Xiom Vega Euro and Raksa 7 in terms of hardness. Spin and control on both rubbers felt great for me. Is there a rubber like that? All price points. :D

EDIT: Both of my rubbers are max thickness if that gives any additional information

just curious, I'm a fan of yasaka mark V
R7 has two soft and medium, which one do you use in BH

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
Instead of going softer, try using the G1 on the back hand and be more positive with the wrist speed on your backhand (or go all out) and try different angles. If you can put enough speed and thin contact on the ball to generate higher spin, you may discover some new magic in your backhand.

Last edited: