Rubber Boosting

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2012
About every forum or review i read people talk about boosting rubbers, to me that is just wrong in every way one should be able to generate the speed needed depending on personal strength and technique....its cheating!!!!!!! give us your views on boosting.

says Best setup ever for a modern defender :D
says Best setup ever for a modern defender :D
Jan 2011
I boost rubbers but for recreational purposes, I also think that is cheating, and any serious table tennis player that really wants to improve and play better should never do this, in my country there is no control in the tournaments to value the use of speed glue (paraffin oil, rubber cement etc) so many players do it, but if you want to compete internatioally you cant boost in any means because you will not get the chance to even play

This user has no status.
but if you want to compete internatioally you cant boost in any means because you will not get the chance to even play

Lol, of course you can't simply use the old speed glue or some oil etc. but there are enough ways to boost your rubbers without being noticed by the racket control or exceeding any limits. And believe me nearly every one of the high level players (e.g. lets say here in Germany 3rd division upwards) is boosting their rubbers in some way..

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Lol, of course you can't simply use the old speed glue or some oil etc. but there are enough ways to boost your rubbers without being noticed by the racket control or exceeding any limits. And believe me nearly every one of the high level players (e.g. lets say here in Germany 3rd division upwards) is boosting their rubbers in some way..

Yeah. I agree.

It is true that it is against the rules but the rules are not really there for any intelligent reason. I am okay with speed glue being history. It would be annoying to reglue almost every time you play. I have heard people talk about how there was this nice camaraderie when people used to glue up as part of getting ready to play. But I am happy just to leave my racket alone. However, if I am playing with someone who still uses speed glue, and I know a few, it does not matter to me what they do to their equipment. If I am playing someone who boosts, I don't care.

I personally don't think the rules on boosting make sense. If it really were about safety then the products that were safe would not still be against the rules.

When I first put rubbers on I will sometimes boost them if they are used. I usually just leave them alone after that unless I have to take them off for some reason. Then I will reboost them. The rubber on my racket is at least 5 months old. The last time I boosted it was about 2 months ago. I doubt that it still has any boost effect. It feels fine to me, even though I know people who would tell me that my rubber is dead. :)

I say, just play and have fun. If you like to play with boosted rubbers, go for it. If you don't, don't. Don't worry about the equipment of the guy on the other side of the table. Just use equipment that works for you.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
My view is, the rule states that the rubber cannot be modified post production, so thats what people should do. The rule doesn't say, "you can modify as long as you can avoid being detected". It really says something about the people who do it, about their willingness to bend the rules and the way they conduct themselves in general.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
It's very funny when people proclaim boosting illegal. Somewhere along the line a myth aroused that boosting was illegal, but that only holds true to boosting the topsheet. There's no law specifically stating that one cannot boost the sponge and there is no law that states boosting cannot be done period. The law specifies that no use of anything with VOC's is allowed and that's what makes rackets illegal. The other illegal limitation is the 4 mm rubber thickness. Boosting too much will create more often than not a problem with thickness or bubbling because the booster has soaked through to the adhesive on the topsheet's pips.

I think that a lot of players also have this misconception that boosting makes the rubber ridiculously faster and spinnier, but that's not really what's happening. At the highest levels of play the amount of speed and spin the booster provides is minimal compared to the amount of control it provides. The rubbers professionals use produce loads of spin and speed on the ball, but the booster helps to soften the rubber to their preference and thus gives them much more control on their shots. High level players need customized equipment because at their level it's no longer about who's stronger or who has a better shot, it's much more about who can out place the other and for that, control is really needed.

Look at any other sport. Badminton players tighten their rackets to their preference, Baseball players oil their gloves and choose their bats just the way they like them. No matter the sport professionals will adjust their equipment the way they see fit because it makes them better athletes. Table Tennis shouldn't be any different. The VOC call was good for player's health, but the laws still allow for boosting that doesn't involve the topsheet.

I know for a fact that the Chinese players, the German players, and pretty much every player in the top 100 excluding maybe a few boost their rubbers legally. Most of the players that do well in the sport either through University or professional play should boost the rubber and really research it. It makes the rubber play to your standards and keeps all of the aspects you want in your rubber while avoiding some of the more unnecessary ones.

This user has no status.
It's very funny when people proclaim boosting illegal. Somewhere along the line a myth aroused that boosting was illegal, but that only holds true to boosting the topsheet. There's no law specifically stating that one cannot boost the sponge and there is no law that states boosting cannot be done period. The law specifies that no use of anything with VOC's is allowed and that's what makes rackets illegal. The other illegal limitation is the 4 mm rubber thickness. Boosting too much will create more often than not a problem with thickness or bubbling because the booster has soaked through to the adhesive on the topsheet's pips.

I think that a lot of players also have this misconception that boosting makes the rubber ridiculously faster and spinnier, but that's not really what's happening. At the highest levels of play the amount of speed and spin the booster provides is minimal compared to the amount of control it provides. The rubbers professionals use produce loads of spin and speed on the ball, but the booster helps to soften the rubber to their preference and thus gives them much more control on their shots. High level players need customized equipment because at their level it's no longer about who's stronger or who has a better shot, it's much more about who can out place the other and for that, control is really needed.

Look at any other sport. Badminton players tighten their rackets to their preference, Baseball players oil their gloves and choose their bats just the way they like them. No matter the sport professionals will adjust their equipment the way they see fit because it makes them better athletes. Table Tennis shouldn't be any different. The VOC call was good for player's health, but the laws still allow for boosting that doesn't involve the topsheet.

I know for a fact that the Chinese players, the German players, and pretty much every player in the top 100 excluding maybe a few boost their rubbers legally. Most of the players that do well in the sport either through University or professional play should boost the rubber and really research it. It makes the rubber play to your standards and keeps all of the aspects you want in your rubber while avoiding some of the more unnecessary ones.
Well said!!!! :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Here is the law:

"Law 2.04.07 - The covering material should be used as it has been authorised by the ITTF without any physical, chemical or other treatment, changing or modifying playing properties, friction, outlook, colour, structure, surface, etc."

This applies to the topsheet and the sponge. The word "covering" is being used to refer to both the topsheet and the sponge as what is being placed on (and therefore covering) the wood. Once the ITTF has approved of a rubber, chemicals cannot be added to it that are intended to change its playing characteristics.

Here is Greg Letts writing on the subject on about.com

"Well, so what, you might say? That little sentence above is the rule that will remove speed glue, boosters and goodness knows what else from our sport in one fell swoop. Here's why:

Speed Glue - speed glue will no longer be legal due to the changes it makes to the sponge of the covering material, as well as the stretching and tensioning affect it has on the topsheet. So say goodbye to speed glue.

Boosters/Tuners - similar to speed glue but without the VOCs, boosters and tuners will be outlawed for similar reasons - their effect on the sponge and topsheet. There's no official word from the ITTF on this issue yet - stayed tuned(!)."

Here is the link to his full article. http://tabletennis.about.com/od/speedglue/a/ban_speedglue.htm

But, boosting is against the table tennis rules and above is the rule.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Mr. RicharD is right that everyone is doing it, but he is wrong that it is legal. There have been articles written about how the ITTF has been ignoring boosting. Here is one from Gerg Lets as well: http://tabletennis.about.com/od/rules/a/Racket-Control.htm

But, the rule is that boosting is against the rules. I just think the rule does not make sense.

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
It's not legal. It is very illegal despite the fact that yes, most players are doing it. And that's confirmed by more than one top international player to me, obviously I don't want to throw names out there. If it's going to be illegal then ITTF are going to have to police it, if they can't they may as well not waste their time and that's the ugly truth :p

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Here is the law:

"Law 2.04.07 - The covering material should be used as it has been authorised by the ITTF without any physical, chemical or other treatment, changing or modifying playing properties, friction, outlook, colour, structure, surface, etc."

Again, just for the record, here is the "Law" on the use of Booster.