How Does Boosting Rubber Affect The Throw Angle?

This user has no status.
Hi guys. I was thinking about using a sheet of 1.8mm Friendship/729 RITC rubber as my BH rubber after I boosted it with mineral oil/baby oil. Would boosting it increase the throw angle, decrease it, or have no effect? Your thoughts? Or is this another one of my bad ideas?
Here is the Revspin link:
https://revspin.net/rubber/729-729.html

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Hi guys. I was thinking about using a sheet of 1.8mm Friendship/729 RITC rubber as my BH rubber after I boosted it with mineral oil/baby oil. Would boosting it increase the throw angle, decrease it, or have no effect? Your thoughts? Or is this another one of my bad ideas?
Here is the Revspin link:
https://revspin.net/rubber/729-729.html

Boosting a 1.8mm sponge might be risky. You might end up with a super soft sponge that bottoms out with a gentle hit.

It will mean that the throw angle will depend on the type of blade you are using.

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
Hello, my Dear
Good to hear you still boosting rubbers as hell.
You are most welcome to enter our Great Kingdom of Ping Pong Cheaters.
We, the King Crooky Skunk XXIII, will favour you with a big bottle of Dianchi booster in good memory of your joining to our famous Kingdom. .
Come on, my dear, take your chance..
His smelly Majesty, the Skunk XXIII

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
Hello, my Dear
We, the King Crooky Skunk XXIII, will favour you with a big bottle of Dianchi booster in good memory of your joining to our famous Kingdom. .

Igor, as a member of a former Soviet Union (meaning you, not me), I am hell of a surprised that you are not particularly sensitive to the "higher" injustice being forced onto you!!! Every f...ing one company is boosting the rubbers. They represent the state. Now I do boost too - you can call that an act of resistance (if you wish). If they do, I hell of a f... WILL!!!

So please, stop posting this nonsense, do a bit of a reflection. Your core is still intact!

Peace.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Hello, my Dear

Every EJ deserves a science experiment doesn’t he? Mind your own business

This user has no status.
Every EJ deserves a science experiment doesn’t he? Mind your own business

Thanks guys sff_lib and latej. I haven't really experimented at all, this only being my second racket and all. I know that boosting isn't really legal, but I only play at the clubs for fun, not in competitions or anything serious. So I guess it doesn't really matter- unless, of course, I meet igorponger there.

Reactions: lodro
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
It is not worth wasting your time with boosting with Baby Oil.

But, if you want a science experiment, have fun wasting time.

But, it is worth knowing that, if you are getting your information about things like "Throw Angle" from RevSpin, well....I am not sure what to tell you. You may get better information about Throw Angle from a horoscope reading out of a comic book.

By the way, could you define "Throw Angle" for me?

Reactions: brokenball
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
I would define throw angle as the angle the ball comes off after a loop. Typically harder rubbers have lower throw and softer have higher throw, chinese lower (DHS,729,etc.), tensors higher (ESN,BTY).

I would assume since boosting softens the sponge it would cause the throw to become higher, but just my assumption, I didn't try to scientifically measure anything.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I've always visualized throw angle with this kind of image

https://i.imgur.com/2Xi3xZ8.jpg
Based on the images of the different flight patterns drawn in yellow, blue and green, do you think there is anything that could be said about the spin/speed ratio that might be related to what you are showing in that drawing and saying is related to "throw angle"?

For instance, is the ball whose arc lands furthest on the table the highest, middle or lowest arc? If all of those three shots were hit with the same amount of force applied to the ball, which one has the largest magnus effect (ball arcing down as a result of the topspin): which one likely has the highest spin/speed ratio (most spin in relation to the speed of the ball)?

Last edited:
Reactions: Tango K
says regularly shitposting
says regularly shitposting
Jul 2019
Based on the images of the different flight patterns drawn in yellow, blue and green, do you think there is anything that could be said about the spin/speed ratio that might be related to what you are showing in that drawing and saying is related to "throw angle"?

For instance, is the ball whose arc lands furthest on the table the highest, middle or lowest arc? If all of those three shots were hit with the same amount of force applied to the ball, which one has the largest magnus effect (ball arcing down as a result of the topspin): which one likely has the highest spin/speed ratio (most spin in relation to the speed of the ball)?

Yes.

Reactions: latej
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
do a bit of a reflection.

I guess, I should start with that. Karma rules. So, Igor, I wrote what I wrote in a too harsh tone after 5 biers. I like you, mostly like your posts. Let's just say we disagree on this one. Peace.

Btw. it just occured to me. H3 is
- like chilies, first you can't, later, you can't without
- like karma, it rules :)

I would define throw angle as the angle the ball comes off after a loop. Typically harder rubbers have lower throw and softer have higher throw, chinese lower (DHS,729,etc.), tensors higher (ESN,BTY).

I would assume since boosting softens the sponge it would cause the throw to become higher, but just my assumption, I didn't try to scientifically measure anything.

In fact it's just the opposite.

Hard sponges with hard top sheets have very high through angle.
Hard sponges with soft top sheets have high through angle.
Soft sponges with hard top sheets have mid-high through angle
Soft sponges with soft top-sheet have low through angle.

The through angle depends on how deep the ball penetrates, plus what area of the ball is in contact with the top sheet.
Another factor is the spriginess, the trampoline of the sponge. A more spingy sponge, though harder, may cause lower through angle - for example Xiom Omega 7 Tour vs Asia.
In reality all that may be felt differently, depending on personal style and experience.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
hmm, you may be right, I'm not a professional

I may feel this way in my original post because I do not hit the ball hard enough and at lower speeds the linearity of harder chinese rubbers makes the throw angle feel low while the tensors' low power non-linear feel makes it feel higher

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020

USDC, you seem to be asking rhetoric questions here. But we all know you enough to expect that you have some reasons to ask what you ask. I just don't see them, care to explain???

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017

In fact it's just the opposite.

Hard sponges with hard top sheets have very high through angle.
Hard sponges with soft top sheets have high through angle.
Soft sponges with hard top sheets have mid-high through angle
Soft sponges with soft top-sheet have low through angle.

There is no data to back this up.
you cannot justify any of this.

Another factor is the spriginess, the trampoline of the sponge
Now you are getting close.