Elite TTD Member 828 1,281
    This user has no status.

Elite TTD Member 1,281 828

Hurricane Long V series

We all know that Ma Long has broken quite a few records in history:
    First double Grand Slams
    Won every single Gold possible
    Etc

I wonder why the HL V series blades aren’t popular compared to Vis variants?

says modestly attempting kōhaiship of Jeul-Tak

Master TTD Member 2,442 2,552
    says modestly attempting kōhaiship of Jeul-Tak

Master TTD Member 2,552 2,442
    Tempted to write something like, they’re very expensive, and you need Ma Long level skills to wield it — but that hasn’t stopped people of lesser stature from shelling out for Viscarias, Super ZLC, Dynasty Carbon etc. blades.

So I just don’t know.

The Following 2 Users Like yoass's Post:

lodro and TaiHaoPingPong

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 173 288
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 288 173

The HL V is a fair bit more expensive than the Viscaria; that would explain some, but not all, of the popularity issue. Also, the Viscaria was already very popular well before ML became the superstar he is now.

This user has no status.

TTD Member 68 95
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 95 68
    The HL V seems to be a blade which Is surrounded by many myths. Apart from the ridiculous price this could be a reason why it’s less popular. One of these myths Is that it Is an extremely fast Off++ blade which only suits highly skilled top players. How can people actually think that of a fairly thin innerforce type of blade? It puzzles me.
    I’ve been playing with the Long V for 6 weeks now and, coming from 5ply allwood blades, I find it really easy and pleasant to play with it. I prefer it to Viscaria which feels really dead and stiff for me.

This user has no status.

TTD Member 48 91
    W
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 91 48

User Info Menu

Feb 2020
    United States
    Read 0 Reviews
    The hyped up price for a Chinese blade and the very apparent non-linearity of the blade may be a turn off for many people.

This user has no status.

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Manto76

The HL V is a fair bit more expensive than the Viscaria; that would explain some, but not all, of the popularity issue. Also, the Viscaria was already very popular well before ML became the superstar he is now.

I just check the prices on TT11:
    Viscaria €133
    HL5 €125

Viscaria is actually more expensive

This user has no status.

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by MK73
    The HL V seems to be a blade which Is surrounded by many myths. Apart from the ridiculous price this could be a reason why it’s less popular. One of these myths Is that it Is an extremely fast Off++ blade which only suits highly skilled top players. How can people actually think that of a fairly thin innerforce type of blade? It puzzles me.
    I’ve been playing with the Long V for 6 weeks now and, coming from 5ply allwood blades, I find it really easy and pleasant to play with it. I prefer it to Viscaria which feels really dead and stiff for me.
    I am playing with Viscaria and it’s very linear.

It must suit all levels of players that’s why Viscaria has been a legacy since 2012.

says May the Spin be with you!

Advanced TTD Member 136 274
    says May the Spin be with you!

Advanced TTD Member 274 136
    Quote Originally Posted by SFF_lib
    First double Grand Slams
    Etc

I have no idea why also? I am a HLV user and one of its main attractiveness for me is the handle, and its extreme ergonomic design. In my hand, I just wanna loop every ball all day long.

This user has no status.

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Gozo
    I have no idea why also? I am a HLV user and one of its main attractiveness for me is the handle, and its extreme ergonomic design. In my hand, I just wanna loop every ball all day long.
    I used HL5 before because ML just inspired me so much. But I hate the muted feedback.

says Equipment matters a lot to scrubs who can't make minor adjustments to their stroke.

Elite TTD Member 627 1,469
    K
    says Equipment matters a lot to scrubs who can't make minor adjustments to their stroke.

Elite TTD Member 1,469 627
    I used HL5 before because ML just inspired me so much. But I hate the muted feedback.

What do you use now?

WTB Butterfly Ovtcharov and Vodak Horejsi ALC PM me if you want to sell one.

This user has no status.

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuba Hajto

What do you use now?

Viscaria. More feedback.

K

Viscaria. More feedback.

That claim was weird to me, because my ONo1Senso has very loud feedback and it is pretty darn close to ML5. The only difference being a hole in the handle. I started a new thread in case anyone would want to discuss possible cause of this.

This user has no status.

This user has no status.

Hurricane Long V series

Sorry for resurrecting this discussion. I think I've found the real answer.

Like I said before, I've played the first edition Long 5, newer Long 5 and Long 5X. All of them give muted feel despite soft sponge (39degree prov H3 boosted). I am very sure of the muted feeling because I've played loads other blades with H3 on it (ZJK ALC, Vis, Taksim, Korbel, Primorac etc).

I just acquired a genuine W968 provincial letter (second hand). With H3 41 boosted on FH and 37 H3 on BH, the slight vibration and clear feedback are very very nice. The handle is also bigger, hence better balance despite the weight of 93g.

With the vibration and clear feedback I can say the provincial W968 is a totally different beast from the commercial HL5. Better feel, better feedback, better balance and stronger flex.

Why have found the answer?

Provincial and national HL5 are hard to find, and VERY VERY expensive ($300 for Pro and $700 for Nat new). They offer superior feel, quality and much better flex and kick at medium impact. However, a $120 Viscaria is just as good. That's why Viscaria variants are much more widespread.
    Last edited by SFF_lib; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:32 AM.

This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 72 193
    F
    This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 193 72

User Info Menu

Jan 2021
    UK
    Read 1 Reviews
    Hi,

Just want a clarification on whether Ma Long plays with HL 5 or W968 (Which I heard is HL 5, but a slightly softer feel)

K

Quote Originally Posted by funk fu master
    hi,

just want a clarification on whether ma long plays with hl 5 or w968 (which i heard is hl 5, but a slightly softer feel)

w968

This user has no status.

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Funk Fu Master
    Hi,

Just want a clarification on whether Ma Long plays with HL 5 or W968 (Which I heard is HL 5, but a slightly softer feel)
    National W968, likely version 1 which can sell for over $1000.

My not so good provincial 968 is already wayyyy better than HL5.

K

Sorry for resurrecting this discussion. I think I've found the real answer.

Like I said before, I've played the first edition Long 5, newer Long 5 and Long 5X. All of them give muted feel despite soft sponge (39degree prov H3 boosted). I am very sure of the muted feeling because I've played loads other blades with H3 on it (ZJK ALC, Vis, Taksim, Korbel, Primorac etc).

I just acquired a genuine W968 provincial letter (second hand). With H3 41 boosted on FH and 37 H3 on BH, the slight vibration and clear feedback are very very nice. The handle is also bigger, hence better balance despite the weight of 93g.

With the vibration and clear feedback I can say the provincial W968 is a totally different beast from the commercial HL5. Better feel, better feedback, better balance and stronger flex.

Why have found the answer?

Provincial and national HL5 are hard to find, and VERY VERY expensive ($300 for Pro and $700 for Nat new). They offer superior feel, quality and much better flex and kick at medium impact. However, a $120 Viscaria is just as good. That's why Viscaria variants are much more widespread.

The way you describe it is the same difference between Donic Ovtcharov No.1 Senso and non Senso. I have both end the feelings about differences are quite similar.

Last edited by Kuba Hajto; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:45 AM.

This user has no status.

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuba Hajto

The way you describe it is the same difference between Donic Ovtcharov No.1 Senso and non Senso. I have both end the feelings about differences are quite similar.

The problem is W968 is scarce and expensive ! Hell know why I like Ma Long that much😂

This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 58 185
    This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 185 58
    First double Grand Slams
    Etc

On one hand most players will not pay 165€ -215€ for a Chinese blade. For that money, they will go to a European or Japanese brand.
    On the other hand, HL5 has a reputation for being very fast and uncontrollabe, suited for pros and not for the average club level player.

This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 66 166
    D
    This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 166 66

User Info Menu

Jul 2017
    Germany
    Read 0 Reviews
    I think generally people think china=cheap. Yinhe and even DHS offer a lot of blades in the 20-40 bucks range so people are not willing to pay butterfly prices for a Chinese product even if that particular Chinese product is great quality.

Japanese luxury brand Lexus had the same issue in Europe, Japanese cars had the reliable but boring image in Europe so people who wanted to pay big bucks rather would buy a German or Italian car rather than a Lexus even though Lexus is similar quality like a good German car.

Last couple years that changed a little but for a long time it was like that.
    ​​​​​​

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast