Hurricane Long V series

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Tempted to write something like, they’re very expensive, and you need Ma Long level skills to wield it — but that hasn’t stopped people of lesser stature from shelling out for Viscarias, Super ZLC, Dynasty Carbon etc. blades.

So I just don’t know.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2020
Read 3 reviews
The HL V seems to be a blade which Is surrounded by many myths. Apart from the ridiculous price this could be a reason why it’s less popular. One of these myths Is that it Is an extremely fast Off++ blade which only suits highly skilled top players. How can people actually think that of a fairly thin innerforce type of blade? It puzzles me.
I’ve been playing with the Long V for 6 weeks now and, coming from 5ply allwood blades, I find it really easy and pleasant to play with it. I prefer it to Viscaria which feels really dead and stiff for me.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
The hyped up price for a Chinese blade and the very apparent non-linearity of the blade may be a turn off for many people.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews

The HL V is a fair bit more expensive than the Viscaria; that would explain some, but not all, of the popularity issue. Also, the Viscaria was already very popular well before ML became the superstar he is now.

I just check the prices on TT11:
Viscaria €133
HL5 €125

Viscaria is actually more expensive

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
The HL V seems to be a blade which Is surrounded by many myths. Apart from the ridiculous price this could be a reason why it’s less popular. One of these myths Is that it Is an extremely fast Off++ blade which only suits highly skilled top players. How can people actually think that of a fairly thin innerforce type of blade? It puzzles me.
I’ve been playing with the Long V for 6 weeks now and, coming from 5ply allwood blades, I find it really easy and pleasant to play with it. I prefer it to Viscaria which feels really dead and stiff for me.

I am playing with Viscaria and it’s very linear.

It must suit all levels of players that’s why Viscaria has been a legacy since 2012.

says Rozena! You complete me.
says Rozena! You complete me.
Mar 2021
We all know that Ma Long has broken quite a few records in history:
First double Grand Slams
Won every single Gold possible
Etc

I wonder why the HL V series blades aren’t popular compared to Vis variants?
I have no idea why also? I am a HLV user and one of its main attractiveness for me is the handle, and its extreme ergonomic design. In my hand, I just wanna loop every ball all day long.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews

Viscaria. More feedback.

That claim was weird to me, because my ONo1Senso has very loud feedback and it is pretty darn close to ML5. The only difference being a hole in the handle. I started a new thread in case anyone would want to discuss possible cause of this.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Sorry for resurrecting this discussion. I think I've found the real answer.

Like I said before, I've played the first edition Long 5, newer Long 5 and Long 5X. All of them give muted feel despite soft sponge (39degree prov H3 boosted). I am very sure of the muted feeling because I've played loads other blades with H3 on it (ZJK ALC, Vis, Taksim, Korbel, Primorac etc).

I just acquired a genuine W968 provincial letter (second hand). With H3 41 boosted on FH and 37 H3 on BH, the slight vibration and clear feedback are very very nice. The handle is also bigger, hence better balance despite the weight of 93g.

With the vibration and clear feedback I can say the provincial W968 is a totally different beast from the commercial HL5. Better feel, better feedback, better balance and stronger flex.

Why have found the answer?

Provincial and national HL5 are hard to find, and VERY VERY expensive ($300 for Pro and $700 for Nat new). They offer superior feel, quality and much better flex and kick at medium impact. However, a $120 Viscaria is just as good. That's why Viscaria variants are much more widespread.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Sorry for resurrecting this discussion. I think I've found the real answer.

Like I said before, I've played the first edition Long 5, newer Long 5 and Long 5X. All of them give muted feel despite soft sponge (39degree prov H3 boosted). I am very sure of the muted feeling because I've played loads other blades with H3 on it (ZJK ALC, Vis, Taksim, Korbel, Primorac etc).

I just acquired a genuine W968 provincial letter (second hand). With H3 41 boosted on FH and 37 H3 on BH, the slight vibration and clear feedback are very very nice. The handle is also bigger, hence better balance despite the weight of 93g.

With the vibration and clear feedback I can say the provincial W968 is a totally different beast from the commercial HL5. Better feel, better feedback, better balance and stronger flex.

Why have found the answer?

Provincial and national HL5 are hard to find, and VERY VERY expensive ($300 for Pro and $700 for Nat new). They offer superior feel, quality and much better flex and kick at medium impact. However, a $120 Viscaria is just as good. That's why Viscaria variants are much more widespread.

The way you describe it is the same difference between Donic Ovtcharov No.1 Senso and non Senso. I have both end the feelings about differences are quite similar.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 1 reviews
We all know that Ma Long has broken quite a few records in history:
First double Grand Slams
Won every single Gold possible
Etc

I wonder why the HL V series blades aren’t popular compared to Vis variants?

On one hand most players will not pay 165€ -215€ for a Chinese blade. For that money, they will go to a European or Japanese brand.
On the other hand, HL5 has a reputation for being very fast and uncontrollabe, suited for pros and not for the average club level player.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I think generally people think china=cheap. Yinhe and even DHS offer a lot of blades in the 20-40 bucks range so people are not willing to pay butterfly prices for a Chinese product even if that particular Chinese product is great quality.

Japanese luxury brand Lexus had the same issue in Europe, Japanese cars had the reliable but boring image in Europe so people who wanted to pay big bucks rather would buy a German or Italian car rather than a Lexus even though Lexus is similar quality like a good German car.

Last couple years that changed a little but for a long time it was like that.
​​​​​​