How much is the serve advantage?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Are there any stats on how often the server wins the point at the world class level?

Obviously this is dependent on how evenly matched they are and how good the serve is but I wonder if there are any stats on averages. What percentage of serve points is the server expected to win in an even matchup. Is the advantage as big as in tennis

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Are there any stats on how often the server wins the point at the world class level?

Obviously this is dependent on how evenly matched they are and how good the serve is but I wonder if there are any stats on averages. What percentage of serve points is the server expected to win in an even matchup. Is the advantage as big as in tennis
Definitely not as big as in tennis after all the rule changes. Service in table tennis used to be very deceptive.

In modern table tennis, a good service is not good enough to win a point. The server needs to coordinate the tactics after service return.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 1 reviews

Serve in table tennis is equally important as in tennis, if not more.
You are right however, for some strange reason how often the server wins the point is a stat that is not recorded in table tennis as in tennis. It should however.

A good serve in table tennis will either win the point straight away or a bad reception that will return an easy ball to finish.
Moreover, a good server keeps his opponent in constant "defensive mode" , as he is constantly focused on how to return the difficult serves than on attacking them.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Thanks for your answers. Btw I meant how often the server wins the point at all (whether after 1 or 15 strokes), not just straight aces.

In tennis there are tons of stats about this, but didn't find anything in TT.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
Read 1 reviews
Thanks for your answers. Btw I meant how often the server wins the point at all (whether after 1 or 15 strokes), not just straight aces.

In tennis there are tons of stats about this, but didn't find anything in TT.

TTD did that (partially) in the video below starting at 8:47.
E.g. Tom's most effective serve was a long fast topspin serve to the middle (7 points won out of 9 attempts) and Dan's was a short forehand backspin serve to the middle (5 points out of 6 attempts)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I could be wrong. But I think the thing that makes stats like that hard is that a lot of table tennis matches are mismatches. The drop off in the level of players below top 10 is dramatic. And so you will have players in the top 30 losing most of their own serves when playing against a player in the top 5. And a player in the top 5 winning most of his opponents serves when there is a mismatch.
=
Whereas, in a sport like tennis, even someone who is below top 100 can have an amazing serve sometimes. And without quite a good serve it would be hard to get in the top 300 in tennis.
=
Also, what makes a really good serve in tennis is so different from what makes a really good serve in TT.
=
I am talking theory. And I am talking from not really having paid attention to tennis for decades.
=
And return of serve, the skill in tennis is also totally different. You have to be able to pull the trigger on committing to return a power ball if you want to be good at return of serve. It is about handling the return of a ball coming at you at pretty high speeds. And if you are passive and are not trying to give back a ball that is hard to handle, you are going to get crushed.
=
With TT the skill is something completely different and so much is about reading spin and handling spin.
=
So, not sure the stats in percentage of wins on serve in TT would actually be as meaningful as in a sport like tennis.
=
Again, I am not really sure on this subject. But I have a couple of friends who are pro tennis players. And from watching years ago and from listening to things they have said, I think what I have said may be somewhere near enough to the target.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tinykin