Switching from Chines LPs to European LPs

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2021
Hi all,
I have been playing with my current setup for several months now (Donic Defplay Senso, Nittaku Fastarc G-1 2.0mm FH, and Dawei 388d-1 0.6mm BH) and have been having a ton of fun and am overall pretty satisfied. All parts of my game have improved significantly since my switch from pre-made to my current setup, but I have noticed one area that I particularly struggle in, especially against very good offensive players. When starting a rally, I like to utilize a close to the table chop/push with my LPs deep to their side of the table unless the ball is immediately attackable. I've gotten pretty good at the shot and the ball is always low to the net, the only problem is when I do it off of a no spin or light backspin ball. I find that the ball comes back with the most miniscule amounts of backspin and the opponent is very comfortable opening up with a fast loop. Often times, I will miss this first choppable ball because it is too quick and the placement is too sporadic. If I can return this ball then I often end up winning the point because I can chop back all of their consecutive loops until I get an opening, but I feel I need to close up this hole in my game. I have heard that Japanese LPs such as the Feint Long and P1R series are much better at putting backspin on balls like this compared to my current Chinese LPs. Is it a wise idea to switch over, and if so which would be the best LP to switch to?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
Read 1 reviews
Hi all,
. I have heard that European LPs such as the Feint Long and P1R series are much better at putting backspin on balls like this compared to my current Chines LPs. Is it a wise idea to switch over, and if so which would be the best LP to switch to?

errr.... just an FYI - both, Feint Long & P1R are Japanese, and not European ..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
Read 1 reviews

errr.... just an FYI - both, Feint Long & P1R are Japanese, and not European ..

Dawei 388D-1 is quite a capable LP.. Plus, it's also a user-friendly do-it-all type of LP .. Have you tried it with a thicker sponge .. ?

Feint BTY Long III, TSP P1R & and even TSP Curl P4, may be able to produce more backspin. However, they're not easy to use, especially P1R...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
Don't think the lp choice is your problem...

Those balls are tough with any lp, and the amount of spin a grippy lp generates isn't even that much in the grand scheme of things.

You need to work on placing/quality that ball better and forcing them to attack where you want, instead of being reactionary trying to scramble after a ball. At that stage, you're already behind in the point!

You can also learn to twiddle and apply back spin with the inverted.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
Read 1 reviews
Don't think the lp choice is your problem...

Those balls are tough with any lp, and the amount of spin a grippy lp generates isn't even that much in the grand scheme of things.

You need to work on placing/quality that ball better and forcing them to attack where you want, instead of being reactionary trying to scramble after a ball. At that stage, you're already behind in the point!

You can also learn to twiddle and apply back spin with the inverted.
I agree with LordPippington, in part ... LP Choice is not the problem here ... and working on ball quality and placement is more important

However -

As compared to rubbers like Feint Long III, and P1R, one may be able to get more backspin (against Topspin) from low grip rubbers such as D.tecs, since it offers high reversal.. However, in highly trained hands, Feint Long III, P1R and the likes too are capable of generating insane amounts of Backspin .. Moreover, these rubbers are far more Dangerous to play against, since a trained player can create more variation with them..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2021
I agree with LordPippington, in part ... LP Choice is not the problem here ... and working on ball quality and placement is more important

However -

As compared to rubbers like Feint Long III, and P1R, one may be able to get more backspin (against Topspin) from low grip rubbers such as D.tecs, since it offers high reversal.. However, in highly trained hands, Feint Long III, P1R and the likes too are capable of generating insane amounts of Backspin .. Moreover, these rubbers are far more Dangerous to play against, since a trained player can create more variation with them..

Thanks for the input. At what point (in terms of hours played or some other marker) would you say that rubbers such as Feint Long III become more useful in a chopping game when compared with high reversal rubbers.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
Read 1 reviews

Thanks for the input. At what point (in terms of hours played or some other marker) would you say that rubbers such as Feint Long III become more useful in a chopping game when compared with high reversal rubbers.

Hard for me to answer this - I tried my hand (for a couple of a couple of months) @ playing with FLIII ... Found it too slow/dead initially ..Later-on, I did manage to chop a bit with it, but it was mostly no spin balls .. On the rare occasion I would manage to chop with just light back-spin ..

I then, gave away the FLIII to a club-m8, and he managed to play with it, way way better than I did, almost from the word Go.. He can generate a respectable amount of back-spin with it..