Professionals switching equipment

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2018
I understand that many pros use different equipment for different tournaments, but what actually decides what they use? For example, I know Jeoung Youngsik uses his azx for some tournaments, and azxi for others, which is a relatively big change, so what do some tournaments have that would warrant one blade whereas others would warrant another?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019

What difference would the hall size make?

It makes difference to the speed. Big halls can be slower so it would help having a slightly faster set up. Some smaller venues are faster so that could make a difference.

I think most often having a slightly faster/slower blade would probably me more common that different rubbers personally.

Reactions: jdurling4
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
Or he may just be trying. It’s highly unlikely a pro would change blades around. It would affect the feel way too much.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2018

It makes difference to the speed. Big halls can be slower so it would help having a slightly faster set up. Some smaller venues are faster so that could make a difference.

I think most often having a slightly faster/slower blade would probably me more common that different rubbers personally.

Ok that explains it, thanks

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews

How does that work in terms of physics though. I am not saying it is false. Just curious about reasoning.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019

How does that work in terms of physics though. I am not saying it is false. Just curious about reasoning.

I couldn’t tell you how the physics would work but if I had to guess it would be air circulation, large space compared to confined space, 🤷🏽*♂️

I didn’t notice till a coach mentioned it to me that our regular club is a fast venue. On one night a week I play at a bigger venue and can tell slight difference in speed that it’s slower. Also recently played in a very small venue with just one table where I was invited and found it very very quick.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014

I couldn’t tell you how the physics would work but if I had to guess it would be air circulation, large space compared to confined space, 🤷🏽*♂️

I didn’t notice till a coach mentioned it to me that our regular club is a fast venue. On one night a week I play at a bigger venue and can tell slight difference in speed that it’s slower. Also recently played in a very small venue with just one table where I was invited and found it very very quick.

Is that not attributable to the table that you were playing at perhaps? I mean, I have noticed quite the opposite of what you called out here. We regularly practice in a confined space on a Stiga competition grade table and whenever we go to a larger venue that has, at times, a different table (or even the same table but maintained differently), I have always noticed that the speed just jumps up quite a bit. Even the pushes start rolling on so fast that the timing just starts getting off track.
Has that something that you have experienced before?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
Is that not attributable to the table that you were playing at perhaps? I mean, I have noticed quite the opposite of what you called out here. We regularly practice in a confined space on a Stiga competition grade table and whenever we go to a larger venue that has, at times, a different table (or even the same table but maintained differently), I have always noticed that the speed just jumps up quite a bit. Even the pushes start rolling on so fast that the timing just starts getting off track.
Has that something that you have experienced before?

I think different table could make a difference. But I have more often than not heard players saying fast venue slow venue, and this is from coaches that have played in commonwealth games. Also fact Dima mentioned how he makes up bats depending on venue tells us something.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2020
In my opinion it's a combination from the Floor, the table and balls and the size of the area you play at.

There can be massive differences. Our place is known for hard floors and really fast tables. Some of our opponents in league are known for slow, soft floor and slow tables.

and the plastic balls have quite a big range from good up to unusable of you aren't used to it...

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
JYS addresses the question in a recent interview. He switched to Ice Cream AZX at Tokyo 2020 since he feels the ball has bounced upward more on these tables recently. Also, he picks the racket that makes his opponent more uncomfortable.

https://rallys.online/person/player-voice/2109_yonshiku2/
槌谷
使っているラケットも、フォア面とバック面で素材が違うんですよね?
鄭栄植
はい、バックハンドとフォアハンドに求めるものが違うので。ラケットには特に繊細ですね。

最近の卓球台は上に跳ねる感じがあるので、今回の東京五輪では早くボールが行くアウター素材のアイスクリーム AZXを使いました。引き続き探求し続けます(笑)。

槌谷
フォアとバックで素材が違うと、相手も戸惑うかもしれませんね。
鄭栄植
はい。一般的に、選手は自分の安心できる用具を選びますが、私は試合の中で相手が打ちにくいほうを選びます。

Reactions: ShakeHold PenHand
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 1 reviews

Yes it's absolutely true. My coach as well, who has experience in international tournaments was telling me the very same thing, in very big venues with high ceilings, the balls travels much slower than small confined spaces with low ceiling.