Darker 5 CNF

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 1 reviews
Darker 5 Classic CNF

I'm trying to find a little more information about this blade.What is the exact composition of the blade? Is it a "clone" of Butterfly's Revoldia CNF?
Darker%205%20CNF.jpg

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Haven't tried it myself but this has a Hinoki core and outer ply. It does use CNF but thats the only similarity I can see. Darker have quite a few CNF blades now so one of the others is probably closer. I have tried the Cegna which has CNF with a Kiri core and Limba outer and I really enjoyed playing with it.

Reactions: Tono62
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 1 reviews
Haven't tried it myself but this has a Hinoki core and outer ply. It does use CNF but thats the only similarity I can see. Darker have quite a few CNF blades now so one of the others is probably closer. I have tried the Cegna which has CNF with a Kiri core and Limba outer and I really enjoyed playing with it.
What I've found out so far is that it has Hinoki and CNF layers, just like Revoldia.
Its thickness is 6.5mm which is a little thicker than Revoldia that is 5.7mm. What I haven't determined is if the two blades have exactly the same layers.
I tried a Revoldia and I really liked it, but there is no way I'll pay 330€ for it. This Darker looks like a good "clone"

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 1 reviews
I haven't seen or used a revoldia irl but from pictures, pretty sure that's a Koto outer layer and a Kiri core - so the core and outer ply are different to the Darker 5 which has Hinoki for both. I would expect them to be very different blades.

I was under the impression that Revoldia had Hinoki, not Koto & Kiri... Maybe you're right, I'll have to make a more thorough research.
If that's the case, for sure they will be VERY different blades indeed.

Reactions: jbvttcc
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 1 reviews
I haven't seen or used a revoldia irl but from pictures, pretty sure that's a Koto outer layer and a Kiri core - so the core and outer ply are different to the Darker 5 which has Hinoki for both. I would expect them to be very different blades.

Although I wasn't able to find the exact composition of Revoldia form a reliable source, I found the composition of a Chinese copy.
So if we assume that they have copied the exact layer structure, Revoldia's composition is KOTO + CNF + Ayous + Ayous + Ayous + CNF + KOTO

(No Brand) Lemuria CNF (white Carbon) Reviews (revspin.net)

This user has no status.

Although I wasn't able to find the exact composition of Revoldia form a reliable source, I found the composition of a Chinese copy.
So if we assume that they have copied the exact layer structure, Revoldia's composition is KOTO + CNF + Ayous + Ayous + Ayous + CNF + KOTO

(No Brand) Lemuria CNF (white Carbon) Reviews (revspin.net)

Attached two pics I got from a quick Google of Revoldia cnf. That's a Kiri core and a Koto outer. Medial ply could well be Ayous though.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 1 reviews

Attached two pics I got from a quick Google of Revoldia cnf. That's a Kiri core and a Koto outer. Medial ply could well be Ayous though.

Through my research I came across the thread in Mytabletennis.net that you found the picture. I'm not an expert on wood types, so I can't really understand the type of wood from a plain photo.
Butterfly Revoldia CNF - Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Forum - Page 2

Indeed it may be Kiri and Koto but the thing is that I haven't found a really reliable source to validate it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
I don't doubt the guy, I'm sure he knows what he says. All I'm saying I haven't found an "official" let's say source about the composition.

And you won't because Butterfly doesn't disclose the composition of their blades. Any composition you see out there will be unofficial, and most of them, especially the ones you find on the blades database, are inaccurate.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2020
Read 3 reviews
Even though I’m very satisfied with my current setup. I just had to buy this blade. No reviews online, but I’m so curious on CNF with 5 plies of hinoki. I will take her for a swing on Tuesday.

Very curious of how it plays. I'm a big Darker fan myself.I own three different blades of the 2A-series.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
Read 1 reviews

Very curious of how it plays. I'm a big Darker fan myself.I own three different blades of the 2A-series.

I know. I have seen your Darker blades in the Share your racket’s photo thread. I have always been interested in Darker blades, but never had the opportunity to play them. So I will not be able to do any comparisons, but I will share my thoughts of the blade.

Reactions: MK73
says regularly shitposting
says regularly shitposting
Jul 2019

I know. I have seen your Darker blades in the Share your racket’s photo thread. I have always been interested in Darker blades, but never had the opportunity to play them. So I will not be able to do any comparisons, but I will share my thoughts of the blade.

When you are testing can you also check how it behaves away from the table, ?

Reactions: SamTheMan
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
Read 1 reviews
Any impressions yet?

I just got home from training. I’ve joined a new club last week. New coach and matches against new players. I was too competitive to use the Classic 5 CNF during the matches. So, I must try it more to get to know the blade. I can only give a very brief first impressions.
Because the blade is 6,5 mm and 5 plies + 2 CNF, I was afraid it would be too fast and too low throw for my taste. But it played very similar to my 5,8 mm Latika. Both in speed and arc. I would say it´s a solid OFF blade. It gives a much longer dwell time and has a softer feel than I’m used to. If that is good or not is a personal thing. But it’s something I will need to adapt to.