New Table Tennis Ball (REVIEW)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
If it gets less spin it will kill everyone and the whole art of playing. It will only be good for basement players who do not know how to spin the ball or respond to spin. :)

I think the reason the ball is getting less spin is that PVC is a very slippery substance, much more slippery than celluloid. So the rubber has nothing to grip because the ball creates no friction against the rubber. Which is also why mechanical spin, which is when the ball sinks in to the rubber so the rubber can grab the ball, might be what is working to spin the ball the most effectively, whereas tacky rubbers do not seem to spin the PVC balls well at all.

hus

This user has no status.

hus

This user has no status.
Mar 2012
Read 4 reviews
They should make it spinnier not the other way. This seems like they're just trying to imitate tennis now, it takes away the identity of the game. If someone asked me how table tennis was different from tennis I would say the spin is much more dominant in table tennis. This just makes it looks like a pathetic gimmick of tennis. I really hope I'm wrong and this will make the game better. But as I see it now, a lot of people stick to playing table tennis because there is a great learning curve and the more you play the better you'll get. There is a big factor of fitness as it is but at least the game does not exclude the unfit entirely. I am not so sure if I would be playing table tennis if it was just a 'table' version of tennis.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
This guy, part of the Preston Table Tennis Association, by the YouTube name of PathfinderPro made quite a deep analysis into the new ball, including trying to break down the physical attributes of the ball and the speed, spin etc. of the new ball compared to the old 38mm ball and the current 40mm one. He also has Part 2 & 3 on his channel in consecutive order after this one, so you guys might want to check that out so you have a better insight into this new polyball issue. Note that his analysis is NOT COMPLETELY ACCURATE as he said in the video, as it has not been tested in scientific laboratory, but it's an overall analysis of the ball's performance.

Here's the video :) He has a lot of useful and interesting table tennis content on his channel, so be sure to check those out as well!