New Table Tennis Ball (REVIEW)

says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
The new table tennis ball is expected to be put in place by 2014 in International competition. TTEDGE and TableTennisDaily member William Henzell did a review on the new table tennis ball. William Henzell was given a few packs of the new 'plastic' ball by Wang Liqin at the recent World Team Championships 2012!

newballwillhenzell.jpg

***Latest Review***

Video below

So what are your thoughts?

This user has no status.
This review is very insightful. Thanks William.

From the sounds of the review the new ball still has some way before it is good enough to replace the old celluloid balls. However, this ball actual looks like it will be good for the game. More rallies hopefully due to less spin and being able to hit through the ball more. Also, physical fitness will become a bigger factor in table tennis if this is the case.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
This review is very insightful. Thanks William.

From the sounds of the review the new ball still has some way before it is good enough to replace the old celluloid balls. However, this ball actual looks like it will be good for the game. More rallies hopefully due to less spin and being able to hit through the ball more. Also, physical fitness will become a bigger factor in table tennis if this is the case.

That's true. If players adjust by choosing softer rubbers in order to get more grip on the ball, we will probably get longer rallies as well.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
Something this important.. Must.. Post..

Alright..
First thing first, much thanks to the review, Sir William.
Its like finding an oasis in the middle of the desert.. Phew..

Even though it is still on dev, I do hope that it will be good for the sport even though much hate will manifest in the first few years of change..

True indeed, due to the longer rally and the new mechanism of the stroke, physical fitness will play a bigger role on our sport. Its sport anyway :)

I do hope that defenders could actually benefit or at least don't get smothered because of this change.

Once again, thank you Sir William its been great to hear that the new ball is not THAT bad :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Something this important.. Must.. Post..

Alright..
First thing first, much thanks to the review, Sir William.
Its like finding an oasis in the middle of the desert.. Phew..

Even though it is still on dev, I do hope that it will be good for the sport even though much hate will manifest in the first few years of change..

True indeed, due to the longer rally and the new mechanism of the stroke, physical fitness will play a bigger role on our sport. Its sport anyway :)

I do hope that defenders could actually benefit or at least don't get smothered because of this change.

Once again, thank you Sir William its been great to hear that the new ball is not THAT bad :)

Yosua, You are back, even for a short cameo. Good to hear from you. We all miss you. Hope your studies are going well. By the way, I love your new Avatar. :)

William, thank you so much for posting this. This is a great video to show us what the new ball is like and you give great details. I really appreciate the time you took for this. Thanks again.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Wow, about time something like this has been posted! I'm mostly curious as to serving, it looks like a lot of the people had trouble getting the ball to go over the net. Is this due to the fact that this ball is less grippy than the celluloid ball? And does it match up with the posts from some time ago about how some said it was just harder in general to generate spin with the new ball, especially with going for heavy backspin serves?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
We had another short go at training yesterday with the plastic ball. I did a heavy backspin tomahawk serve and the opponent just tried to push it back on the table. I did 1 serve with the plastic ball and 1 serve with the celluloid ball, over and over again. There was a massive difference. Much less spin with the plastic ball.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2012
We had another short go at training yesterday with the plastic ball. I did a heavy backspin tomahawk serve and the opponent just tried to push it back on the table. I did 1 serve with the plastic ball and 1 serve with the celluloid ball, over and over again. There was a massive difference. Much less spin with the plastic ball.

what do you think should be done to the ball or to other equipment's William? as you used already the ball.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Much less spin is not so good in a sport where spin is everything.