What is STIGA Cybershape?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2021
i still think its good that there are some inventions coming up and i think that it will take some time to adjust to the look of it and that the opinion might change when they see players using it. its always normal to be skeptic in the begining, that is the nature of humans. personally i like that something new is happening. someone has to be the pioneer and look forward. go stiga!

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
I’m wondering about the physics of it. Resonance patterns will be affected; and will it have (more) standing waves, and the corresponding outliers? Strange instabilities, vibrations?

The altered surface distribution must heavily impact the balance, shifting substantially more towards the head.

I’d like to see an overlay with the JO shape. How the current normal form, the egg-shape, came around, I dont’t know. Trial and error, convenience in woodworking, an optimization in optimal restitution/sweet spot area in relation to weight?

I’m a pro by no means, but I’m not missing hits by lacking surface. The distribution of contact points, for me, is a very narrow bell curve, with a very high ratio falling inside pretty much a coin shaped area.

And I’m somewhat interested in how this gets evaluated. In other ways than commercial success, I mean.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
I'm all up for innovation, and this could be in fact a great thing, we won't know until we try it, right?

But to me, it just feels they are selling snake oil, none of their claims makes sense.

"We kept it light due to German manufactured Carbon"
No, you kept it light because you are using a Kiri core, probably some very hollowed handles too. It will probably very head heavy too, but that's a design aspect, not a downside in my point of view. Some people like head heavy blades.

"Bigger hitting area and sweet spot"
Hitting area and sweet spot are not the same thing, and they can even be inversely proportional because a bigger head size causes more lateral and torsional instability. But this also depends on other factors such as shape and composition. So I would love to see some real data on this, not some fancy graphs drawn over the shapes of the blades that tell us nothing. Besides, do we really need a bigger hitting area?

"Linear frequency response"
I like this one very much 🙂 What does this even mean? As Yoass pointed out, the vibration modes of this blade will be much more complicated. Again, I would love to see some real data, not some image of a blade flexing. But what this shape does is to make the blade flexier, more mass vibrating further from the flexing point, and less material to resist the deformation near it. Is this beneficial or detrimental?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2021
I'm all up for innovation, and this could be in fact a great thing, we won't know until we try it, right?

But to me, it just feels they are selling snake oil, none of their claims makes sense.

"We kept it light due to German manufactured Carbon"
No, you kept it light because you are using a Kiri core, probably some very hollowed handles too. It will probably very head heavy too, but that's a design aspect, not a downside in my point of view. Some people like head heavy blades.

"Bigger hitting area and sweet spot"
Hitting area and sweet spot are not the same thing, and they can even be inversely proportional because a bigger head size causes more lateral and torsional instability. But this also depends on other factors such as shape and composition. So I would love to see some real data on this, not some fancy graphs drawn over the shapes of the blades that tell us nothing. Besides, do we really need a bigger hitting area?

"Linear frequency response"
I like this one very much 🙂 What does this even mean? As Yoass pointed out, the vibration modes of this blade will be much more complicated. Again, I would love to see some real data, not some image of a blade flexing. But what this shape does is to make the blade flexier, more mass vibrating further from the flexing point, and less material to resist the deformation near it. Is this beneficial or detrimental?

think you have some good points on the above. when it come to the carbon part i beleive it can also be the carbon. does all carbon in all rackets has the same weight, probably not and i think in their point of veiw its a significant point from them, even that it might be kiri in the middle or hollowed handles.
on the frequense part i read that they used some university to check this and to make the study. maybe im blue eyed and belive it too much, but its also what trust you put in the brand. i trust that they have all the data they need and they present it like they did in their launch. the same with the bigger hitting area, its a matter of trust. then i think some players will say its to small sweetspot, some will say its a huge sweetspot.

on the frequense part i read that they used some university to check this and to make the study.

That was KTH, The biggest techincal university in Stockholm. They get all kinds of commercial projects so it was probably done by some PHD candidates for a thesis.

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020

Damien Eloi

For Stiga's sake I'm hope this doesn't mean anything, but the fact that an unusually-shaped blade was used at Olympic competition by a player that (in his day) was higher ranked and higher profile than Truls M and it didn't catch on might indicate something. Time will tell ...

Either way, I look forward to reading Truls M's comments on it tomorrow, and more so to the comments of 'normal' players once someone on this forum has had a go.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Surely I'm not their target I assume, but all about this product seems like a joke to me.
A fantasy tale dressed in technical words with neon stuff around.
I'm sorry.

Do you prefer Old Donic with a fat Waldner talking in broken English about the product. Or green andro with their cartoons? Or Butterfly with their copy of a copy of a copy, never doing anything new or surprising.

• Haha
Reactions: Theo21
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I do like the feel of a lot of Stiga blades. But I have also broken more Stiga blades than blades of any other company. In fact, I have not broken blades from other companies. :)

It is almost like, a lot of their blades are made to be disposable. But they do feel really good.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
Whenever I try someone's (usually) allwood stiga blade I surprise myself how can stiga make a blade feel like that the wood it's made from was dead even when it was alive. These are all relatively modern blades as well.
Their carbon blades feel more alive so it's really interesting how they do it.

Stiga blade faces are similar to DHS, more longer than BTY so by default they feel head heavy. And now 5-10% extra head heavyness compared with standard Stiga shape sounds brutal.

Also they claim this shape will provide more coverage right over the table compared to standard shape, but when I do a banana flick I change my racket angle/tilt all the time based on the spin, so in some cases it would be less coverage. But I never felt the need to have more coverage right over the table actually. I guess this is marketing 101, create a non existing porblem and provide a "solution" for it.

The most sad thing I guess is that if someone buys it for 220EUR it needs another 100-120EUR for a rubber set as well and sheetrolling is a bit difficult with this one😅

Last edited:
Reactions: ttarc